PS1/2 Recommended PS2 modchip?

Harsky

Madmin
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So my cousin is hell bent on getting a PS3 to the point that he asked his friend bring one back from Hong Kong tomorrow.... which is why he decided to give me his old (bulky version) PS2 to me. Seeing as I already have a Slimline PS2 (using Swap Magic since I never opened it) I decided to experiment with the PS2 since I'm sick to death of constantly swapping the discs to play backups so I decided to get a modchip for it. Only 2 questions.

1. What's the best chip for it?
2. What type of soldering iron should I get?
3. Is this for the REALLY experienced to try?

butaro

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have a version 1 PS2, bought it first day it came out big fat one. I opted out of getting a modchip for the memory cardhack.
I use a piece of crap PSX game to boot the memory card HDLOADER then just play my backups off the HD, works fast for loading times but some games do not work with HDLOADER. I think its probably the best way to do it without going into the system and you get to use a regular old HD that may be laying around and can save the laser for when you actually need it, instead of burned dvd's.

Getting your memory card hacked is pretty easy but you need to have a friend that can play backup'd games (modchip/bootcd swap/hd, etc) to boot a premade "iso" that installs the hack.

EDIT: i should say again that my PS2 is the OLDEST version NA and still works PERFECT. Im a pretty hardcore gamer and take care of my stuff, i've known a lot of people who get busted lasers and what-not so i think my method worked good!

Harsky

Madmin
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Real tempted to get the DMS4 EZI for the solderless option. That said, when I got the PS2, it was like it was in a battle. My cousin confirmed it when he gave it to me and realised there was a game inside it so he powered it up and pushed eject. Then took the game out and turned the power off with the tray sticking out.... then proceeded in pushing the tray back in and saying that he does this all the time.

Harsky

Madmin
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I think the cost of getting a large hard drive when the chip is cheaper kinda seems a bit redundant... nonetheless, tell me more about HDLOADER.ELF. What do I need to get it running?

BoneMonkey

The cheese stash is a lie.
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i have a 80 gig hardrive and the newest HDLoader 0.8b on a memory card basically you use a action replay to pop a special porgram on your memory card so you can boot games off a hardrive in your ps2

www.ps2hd.com has tons of guides

Katalyst

Johnald Everyperson
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i have a 80 gig hardrive and the newest HDLoader 0.8b on a memory card basically you use a action replay to pop a special porgram on your memory card so you can boot games off a hardrive in your ps2

QFT. Check the guides there and search around a bit. If you've got a BBA, you can get HDLoader onto your MC using that, which is what I've always done. Yeah, it'd definitely cost more vs. a modchip, but I had an HD laying around so I didn't come out any money. Saves any disc swapping needed. I use the PSX exploit to boot LaunchELF and then I've got the HDLoader elf as well as a bunch of other programs (swap magic, ps2ftp, dmshddformat tool, etc.) so the only time I'm ever loading a disc is if I'm playing a retail or installing a game to the HD. And just about all games should work on it with the latest version (they just got amplitude and shadow of the colossus working which didn't before).

Samutz

Trophies
Website
samutz.com
XP
Country
United States
I bought a pre-modded system from modchip.ca. It uses ChipMod Pro+. And I've been happy with it so far.

Only 2 games have given me problems so far, but it's because they have to be copied in some specific way to work (besides being DVD9/DL, I know that already). MGS2:Substance and God of War.

.TakaM

.II
Trophies
Website
takam.wordpress.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
2. What type of soldering iron should I get?
hammertiemlawl7ms.jpg

BoneMonkey

The cheese stash is a lie.
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

Do ALL games work on it?

Not all games work but most do they have a compatabilty list on the website i linked

most dvd 9 games work off the HDD too i played god of war and metal gear substance fine

REMEMBER DO NOT BUY THE RETAIL VERSION OF HDLOADER !

make sure you make your own HDL0.8b cuase it has better compatability

Katalyst

Johnald Everyperson
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
God of war worked fine on mine, beat it. and Shadow of the colossus works now?????? woooooooohooooooooooooooo
Yup, Shadow of Colossus and Amplitude work now with the latest HDLoader. Those were really the only ones I remember being reported as not working. Most DVD9's became compatible with last few versions.

spas

Trophies
XP
Country
I would also suggest a ps2 HDD loader or magic swap rather than a chip. When the is alternative solderless solution go with them.

But if you still want to use a modchip go with a solderless one. Modchips are the cheapest way then magic swap then the HD loader.

lenselijer

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
if you want to solder a chip then please use the crystal chip: http://crystal-chips.com/main/

first open your ps2 and check the diagrams on that site, you will have a good idea of how hard it is.
I have a V3 ps2 and i decided not to try soldering the modchip since its very small connections.
I also read that the v3 ps2 is the hardest one to mod
frown.gif

If you have a newer version ps2 it will be easier
smile.gif

You could also buy a network adapter and use the memory card exploit.
It works like this: You put the exploit on a ps2 memorycard, load up a specific ps1 game (i use the demo disc), then you will see a white screen and hdd loader will run. Now you can put games on it using Ethernet cable
smile.gif
This all without using a modchip.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    rvtr @ rvtr: Spam bots again.