Hacking Recommended microSD cards

Impetus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have a few questions on microSD cards.

I've looked at the normal Sandisk microSD card and the sandisk micro sd ultra II and am wondering if anyone knows the speeds of both. I've done some research where I found someone claiming that the ultra is twice as fast as the normal. Is the speed difference worth the upgrade?

QUOTE said:
8X = 1.2 MB/sec
12X = 1.8 MB/sec
20X = 3.0 MB/sec
25X = 3.8 MB/sec
30X = 4.5 MB/sec
40X = 6.0 MB/sec
60X = 9.0 MB/sec
66X = 10.0 MB/sec
80X = 12.0 MB/sec
90X = 15.0 MB/sec
133X = 20.0 MB/sec

If anyone knows a better, faster card than the Sandisk (normal and ultra) can you please post the name of the card here? Thankyou =]

This is for DS solutions, and load times do matter to me. But if the speed increase isnt much, then it wouldnt be worth upgrading imo. I just need some reliable information and opinions.

pte

Trophies
XP
Country
If you had searched you would have found answers.

The Ultra II is more expensive and is faster only when you transfer files. The access time of the Ultra model is 1.0ms, the regular SanDisk has 1.1ms and the A-Data card has a 0.7ms access time, KingMAX has a 0.8ms access time et cetra.

A-Data, KingMAX and Sandisk are all great brands. Your only worry is the access time and those three have fast ones. At least I wouldn't waste any extra money by buying the Ultra II model. Tho, it's your money.

For more info use the search.

PiNa

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well I was also woried about the speed of MicroSD for my SCLR.
Got a Sandisk 512MB one and have no speed problems so far.

Hope it helps.

Phrostay

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Wouldn't it boil down to the reading speeds of the NDS? I'm guessing their is some kind of limit on how fast it can read so maybe that 0.1ms isn't really that important unless you really, really, really hate load times.

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I use a sandisk in my supercard micro and haven't had any problems with it. The games have to be patched for faster play or the seem to load a little slower.

pte

Trophies
XP
Country
The access time has to be fast in order to avoid lag, for example my Made in Taiwan Kingston has a 2.0-2.5ms access time and it lags a lot. That is why you should make sure that your Kingston is made in Japan instead of Taiwan (if you ever buy one). The regular Sandisk has a 1.1ms access time but that A-Data model is cheaper. It is up to you, the differences are so damn small that you can't notice it.

Impetus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
thats....interesting.

Yeah I should've searched but I didnt think of searching the forums after doing google research. sorry!

What's interesting is that NinjapassX9TF admin recommends buying a high speed TF card for the X9 which supports speeds up to 133X. (forgot the lowest speed)

Because he's the admin and it IS his product and recommendation, read/write speeds probably do matter. So all my questions still remain unanswered.

Impetus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks to a really good friend of mine, he managed to haggle a dealer into selling ultras for 55 bucks each. So I guess I dont need this thread anymore, unless anyone else wants to use it as a resource.

Thanks for the info pte! Came in useful

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1