Hacking Recommended micro SD card size for a N3DS LL running CFW?

hn9090

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd like to get a fairly good sized micro SD card to store backups of games that went missing from my collection, as well as lots of SNES, PC Engine, NGPC, and GBA roms. I was considering getting a 128 GB card to be safe, but I heard cards of that size and higher cause slowdowns as well as unfixable glitches. If this is true, then is a 64 GB card large enough to store all of this with a bit of wiggle room left over?

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'd like to get a fairly good sized micro SD card to store backups of games that went missing from my collection, as well as lots of SNES, PC Engine, NGPC, and GBA roms. I was considering getting a 128 GB card to be safe, but I heard cards of that size and higher cause slowdowns as well as unfixable glitches. If this is true, then is a 64 GB card large enough to store all of this with a bit of wiggle room left over?
no clue where you heard of unfixable glitches, but my 128gb card works just fine with my new 3ds xl console. Just make sure the card is formatted correctly.

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yea 128GB in all 3 my 3DS's no problems

Reactions: Majickhat55

hn9090

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no clue where you heard of unfixable glitches, but my 128gb card works just fine with my new 3ds xl console. Just make sure the card is formatted correctly.
The unfixable glitches is mentioned on the r/3dshacks wiki and I've also read threads about screen crunching occurring when playing GBA games off a card that's 128 GB or larger. Though people have said it can be fixed when formatting the card to FAT 32, 32kb so maybe this is a non-issue afterall.

hn9090

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm talking about screen tearing with gba games.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

this is the issue: https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-do-i-fix-this-gba-cia-screen-crunch.458161/

formatting 128GB micro sd to 64KBs fixes it. I think that's what he's talking about.
In the threads I've read of people having this issue, most people said they fixed it when changing from 64 kb to 32 kb but I've also seen a few who said they fixed it when doing it vice versa like you mentioned. So I guess you're not wrong as it seems to be random for some odd reason.

Last edited by hn9090,

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
I have a 64GB card in my "main" system and it's ok I guess. Pretty much a necessity given all the eshop games I've bought over the years. However, I wish I could get by with 32GB as converting a sdxc card to fat32 seems to have hurt the speed a lot. I never have the slowness issue with 32GB micro SDs.

Last edited by zoogie,

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a 64GB card in my "main" system and it's ok I guess. Pretty much a necessity given all the eshop games I've bought over the years. However, I wish I could get by with 32GB as converting a sdxc card to fat32 seems to have hurt the speed a lot. I never have the slowness issue with 32GB micro SDs.

Nintendo's recommendation is no larger than 32GBs. my 128GB card is a bit sluggish at boot up, but then it's fine. games play fine as well.

Reactions: Blythe93

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo's recommendation is no larger than 32GBs. my 128GB card is a bit sluggish at boot up, but then it's fine. games play fine as well.
Only reason Nintendo says 32GB is because of the industry slandered of cards coming preformatted fat32

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: 🫂 +1