Hacking Recommended formatting modes?

Hammyface

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys, I just got my M3 Simply and the M3 Lite for my DS lite so I can enjoy the best of both worlds. Both are using 1GB cards, the DS slot has a Ultra II microSD card, the M3 Lite has a regular one. I was wondering what cluster size and FAT system I should use for each one.

Thanks so much!

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It should be true for any media with a file system. FAT is faster than FAT32 because it doesn't need to deal with as much data to get the job done. Larger cluster sizes are faster for the same reason; fewer are needed to get the job done, so the file table is smaller.

Hammyface

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It should be true for any media with a file system. FAT is faster than FAT32 because it doesn't need to deal with as much data to get the job done. Larger cluster sizes are faster for the same reason; fewer are needed to get the job done, so the file table is smaller.

Well then shouldn't I use a larget cluster size than 64 then if that's the case?

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The clusters (AKA allocation units) are the chunks that the filesystem uses when allocating disk (or flash memory) space to files. Each file uses a whole number of allucation units, so with 64k clusters a 1 byte file uses up 64k of space, a 65k file takes up 128k, and so on.

lionheartsyd

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi

I just brought myself a brand new 8G SanDisk MicroSDHC card for my EDGE card.

I have the latest firmware 1.45 and would like to know whats the best method for formating?

The options I have are

FAT32 (Default)
exfat
NTFS

I would assume I have to use FAT32 in this case, not sure what exfat does.

Apparently people have been saying 64k for allocation unit size is the best for game compatibility and speed - does this rule still apply to MicroSDHC cards?

Thank you for your time and attention.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: hi @AncientBoi