Recommended Computer Specs?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by Huntress, Nov 15, 2007.

Nov 15, 2007

Recommended Computer Specs? by Huntress at 10:23 PM (3,005 Views / 0 Likes) 19 replies

1. Huntress
    OP

Newcomer Huntress Member

United States
    I'm computer shopping today and I want to know what the recommended computer specs would be for running ideas without having it crawl.

Know of any great places to buy computers online?

2. coolbho3000

Member coolbho3000 GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic

3. Mehdi

Member Mehdi Lemonade by Psyfira

Netherlands
    u need to tell us what kind of emulators u want running.

but a cheap gfx card worth 50 usd a cpu over 1 ghz and 512mb ram can run all the cool emus like psx n64 and more.

If its for the GBA those speca will work fine as well

4. adgloride

Member adgloride Its A Wii Wario

United Kingdom
    You could always get hold of a cheap xbox 1 and softmod it. You can use loads of different emulators on it including MAME and N64.

5. Huntress
    OP

Newcomer Huntress Member

United States
    Ideas emulator to take screenshots of the games I own for reviews. I try it on my laptop and it just craaawls. I'm getting a new computer so I want to make sure I get the right one.

6. arctic_flame

Member arctic_flame GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan

United Kingdom
    iDeaS isn't very good. no$gba is where it's at for DS emulators!

7. hollabackitsobi

Member hollabackitsobi GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Quad Core @ 2.66GHz, 4GB of RAM, dual GeForce 8800GTXs is what you need.

8. arctic_flame

Member arctic_flame GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan

United Kingdom
    Actually, a 1.2GHz Intel Centrino with 512Mb RAM runs no$gba at about 80% speed.

9. Huntress
    OP

Newcomer Huntress Member

United States
    thank you for your suggestions. [​IMG] I was limited on fundage so I couldn't get the 4GB of RAM..ect..

But I think I found a good deal - and if it doesn't run right i can always upgrade.

Intel Core2 Duo CPU E6550 (2.33GHz, 1333FSB 4MB L2)
    1GB DDR2 SDRAM 667MHz, Dual Channel DT
    Integrated Intel GMA3100 MNTW/SLTW

10. coolbho3000

Oh sorry, you want screenshots. I was under the impression that you wanted to play retail games. [​IMG]

The above should do fine (nice CPU), but the integrated graphics card and only 1GB of RAM are bad. For running No$GBA I suggest you get a dedicated graphics card and at least 1GB more RAM. How much are you paying for it?

11. Banger

Member Banger Me > | | < You ..Wanna Line dance?

United States
    I was able to play both snes and GBA games on a 400mhz laptop with 192 ram at full or near full speed. But get what you can afford. The system specs you post would run what you need fine.

12. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    I've got integrated graphics myself on an AMD 2 GHz processor with 1.5 GB of RAM, and no$GBA runs at nearly full speed for all games I try. 3D games used to lag like crazy, but the latest version makes them run at full speed. You should be fine for running no$GBA, though iDeaS might still lag quite a bit.

Do you have a homebrew device? You could play through the game on your DS and then use its save file in no$GBA to get screenshots of a particular section of the game.

13. Huntress
    OP

Newcomer Huntress Member

United States
    the total for that came to $560 through Dell Business. (and that included a 19' wide flatscreen monitor, keyboard&mouse, dvdburner, speakers and Microsoft works -word) I knew that it could use more memory but I only had so much money. I can buy more memory later on but I didn't know how CPU worked on upgrading so I just bought the best one. The hard drive is not that big right now either only 80GB - but I wont need a whole lot of space. I hope that doesn't affect how everything runs. I'll look into another graphics card too - thank you.

I do have a DS-X and use the sav files to pull up the game for screen shots. It was just too slow before. Do you know if Nintendo will threaten to shut a site down for screenshots taken that way? I tried to digital camera it but they came out horrible..lol

14. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    If its not too late to cancel the order, I would recommend this awesome deal.

http://www.dell.com/content/products/featu...s=04&l=en&s=bsd

Picked up two of them myself last week.

EDIT: I hope you didn't get the 200 Slim. From what I've heard, they don't have any PCIe expansion slots, so you won't be able to get a dedicated graphics card later on.

15. Huntress
    OP

Newcomer Huntress Member

United States
    Wow that is a much better deal. I am going to cancel the first order and get this one - as the first one hasn't shipped yet. (I hope all goes smoothly)

I did choose the slim case because I liked the design of it - thanks for the heads up on the pci slots.

How will this arrangement affect the cpu - I'm losing cpu - will it make up for it on the video card, memory and hard drive. I'm not too savvy with computers so I'm not sure how this all works.

Edit: I checked last night and it was still in production - but it looks like today it has shipped. I'll probably just stick with what I have - I don't want to hassle with returns. I think the order I got will be powerful enough with what I need to do. (photoshop/adobeflash) If not I'm sure there is a time limit for returns or I'll just wait until I'm more financially stable and give this to my bro or something)

Thanks for the tip though!! I hope someone who visits this forum will find it useful. The offer expires Dec 20th I saw)

16. BoneMonkey

Banned BoneMonkey The cheese stash is a lie.

United States
    WOW that is a good dell deal ! 20 inch monitor too ? !

17. coolbho3000

LOL This is what happened to me & my dimension 3000. Not even an AGP slot. Stuck with a sucky Geforce 6200 PCI here. [​IMG]

Never buying from Dell again. [​IMG] [​IMG]

18. ZeWarrior

Member ZeWarrior TheWarrior

Brazil
    It was your fault not dells. You picked the wrong machine and you blame the company?
    Lrn2shop [​IMG]

19. Linkiboy

Member Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

United States
    With such a snail system you wont be able to run pong. Overclock each core to 3.66Ghz, add 16GB of DDR3 RAM, and dual 8800ultras, THEN you're set to go.

20. ZeWarrior

Member ZeWarrior TheWarrior

Brazil
    Please... you need a QX9650 overclocked to 4Ghz, Belive it or not it can do that on stock cooling. You need Quad Sli 8800 Ultras.