Android Recommend me a tablet for 200€ - 250€

SpaceJump

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I decided to buy a tablet and am currently comparing. It's really hard to decide. The Nexus 7 looks great, but how is it against Galaxy Tab tablets? What other good tablets are there in the 200 - 250€ price range?

Supersonicmonk

Trophies
XP
Country
I'd say it's a hell of a lot better than the Galaxy Tab range, there are a few discrepancies like no rear camera or expandable storage but you should have enough for the 16GB version. You'll get updates as soon as they're released which is the major benefit over non-nexus devices and there's a ton of developer interest if you're thinking of going down the root, custom rom path.

debugznl

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
What do you think about the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0? I could get that for 220€.

Honestly?

Go for the Nexus 7.

Quad-core Tegra 3 vs TI OMAP dualcore.
No annoying (personal..) Touchwiz UI
Better screen resolution: 1280 x 800 vs 1024 x 600

More bang for buck.

SpaceJump

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
What do you think about the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0? I could get that for 220€.

Honestly?

Go for the Nexus 7.

Quad-core Tegra 3 vs TI OMAP dualcore.
No annoying (personal..) Touchwiz UI
Better screen resolution: 1280 x 800 vs 1024 x 600

More bang for buck.
That sounds reasonable! I think I'll go pick one up this afternoon :D

Thanks for all your answers :)

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I want to buy a tablet too, but I didn't check what's available yet nor the price range.
It will be for my father who is new to Internet and technology.
I suppose nexus 7 is a good one? A little more expansive than I decided to put, but it's maybe worth it for current and future use, and I could use it too.

It requires Wifi AP to connect to internet, or does it use a phone/3G?

I'm curious about rooting.
What's the main interest?
I've read "backup & restore the system". Is a restore often needed?
knowing it's for someone who is not familiar with a computer, he may break things which require a restore?

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I want to buy a tablet too, but I didn't check what's available yet nor the price range.
I suppose nexus 7 is a good one. A little more expansive than I decided to put, but it's maybe worth it for current and future use.

knowing it's for someone who is not familiar with a computer, he may break things which require a restore?
AFAIK rooting is also useful if you want to install vanilla Android or a modded rom to get updates earlier and to remove bloatware. I don't think that'll be needed on a Nexus though.

debugznl

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Re: the Nexus 7:

It requires Wifi AP to connect to internet, or does it use a phone/3G?

Wifi-only.

Total control of your own device(s). Endless options.

Don't forget rooting your device also exposes you (sort of, it's up to you/your father in the end) to some risk(s). Especially if he's indeed not familiar with a computer, I would never give him a rooted device.

My 2 cents..

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thanks.
I suppose I can root/unroot just when needed.
might not be needed, all he wants is browsing internet, youtube, google map.
maybe nexus7 is a little too much for that :lol:

SpaceJump, I give your topic back to you ;)

rafferty_shaun

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Nexus 7 owner and long-time android user and rooter here, you'll want to be rooting the device as soon as you get it as it wipes the data from the tablet, obviously you can make backups but it's easier from a fresh start :) Rooting is useful for a number of reasons, yes you can install user developed roms and different firmwares but you also have more control over your device and can use specially designed apps that are not available to non-rooted users, ones that I can think of off the top of my head are AVG and avast! Titanium backup, which let's you painlessly create and restore a backup to an SD card, AdFree which is just an adblocker, movetosd which allows you to move any app to the sd (or flash drive, see later) even those that are made not to do so, setcpu which let's you fiddle with your cpu clock (can be dangerous if you don't know what you're doing). The single most important app however and the one worth rooting the nexus for even if you're not interested in anything else is stickmount, this little beauty of an app (only available to rooted users) enables you to use a usb flash drive with a otg cable (four or five pounds/dollars from Amazon) in my case my 16gb device became an 80gb device with a 64gb flash drive :) You'll want to keep all your apps on your actual device or they won't work when the usb stick isn't plugged in but this is perfect for storing any videos, music libraries or other large files that you may have. Hope this post was useful :)

Reactions: 1 person

SpaceJump

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thanks Cyan ;)

I just went to a store to puckup the Nexus 7 and tried it before buying. I have to say that I imagined the screen a bit bigger. I know it's only 7", but I expected it to be a bit bigger in reality. Hm, I'm not sure now. I'll have to check some bigger devices first now.

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So it's really the best for its price?

The asus transformer 300t is not in my price range.
The 300T is what I've got. I quite enjoy it.
I suppose nexus 7 is a good one. A little more expansive than I decided to put, but it's maybe worth it for current and future use.

AFAIK rooting is also useful if you want to install vanilla Android or a modded rom to get updates earlier and to remove bloatware. I don't think that'll be needed on a Nexus though.
Given that Nexus devices are vanilla Android, that first reason would be irrelevant. Still nice to root though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    He is now fishy.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sak is a fishy pineapple
    Have a good night everyone.
    i'm getting sleepy.
    So much drinking from @K3Nv2
    Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    10 tabs open on chrome and no slow downs suck it low ram plebs lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    they be like which lite firefox exe pls
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Wut.
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    GM all
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    butt
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    douche
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Touché.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Push it :creep:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Talk about propaganda.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Illinois is working to ban toxic food additives that have been banned for decades in other countries; additives that can be replaced and all those countries still have Skittles and Mountain Dew. Title of the piece: GUBMINT WANTS TO TAKE AWAY YOUR CANDY
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Gee, I wonder if the author is biased?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Sounds and smells like bullshit. They don't give you cancer, and California should know that. I don't get why they stick labels that say "may or may not cause reproductive harm or cancer".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Arsenic doesn't give you cancer either.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    California has already banned those additives BTW.
    Veho @ Veho: California has already banned those additives BTW.