Recommend me a new GBA cart

Discussion in 'GBA - Flashing Hardware and Software' started by cools, Aug 22, 2008.

Aug 22, 2008

Recommend me a new GBA cart by cools at 11:13 AM (1,114 Views / 0 Likes) 3 replies

1. cools
    OP

Newcomer cools Newbie

United Kingdom
    I have a GBA SP that lives in my bag, with an old XG2 Turbo 512M (must be at least 6 years old, maybe) living inside it that I'll update with new games very occasionally. Compatibility is great for most games, except since it doesn't get played that often saves never work - they've never been great on it anyway...

I'm after a cart I can leave in the SP safe in the knowledge that saves will be fine the next time it gets powered on - even if this is once every six months.

Just wondering if anyone knows what cart is (a) GBA cart sized. Must not stick out at all. And (b) retains saves irregardless of battery in cart or GBA.

It'd be be a real bonus if it didn't need any special software to load stuff on and has a non-crap menu but these aren't critical. I just want something I can shove half a dozen to a dozen games on and leave [​IMG]

Any suggestions?

2. Garcimak

Newcomer Garcimak Advanced Member

Belgium
    Just bought an Elink on DealExtreme, it's cheap, needs windows based client software, no 100% compatibility guaranteed but as long it saves on Nand flash and do not drain the battery too fast, i'm happy with it. (+ it can savestate mutiple game in the same time).

3. cools
    OP

Newcomer cools Newbie

United Kingdom
    I went with the ELINK. I don't trust the EFA to be the same product as I'm hoping to get (too many conflicting reviews and chances of different models).

Card itself is half a millimetre bigger than the XG2 Turbo - sticks out ever so slightly but I can probably file it down if it bugs me, or case swap with a regular cart. Hardware wise it seems solid. It amuses me that turning the power off and on quickly boots up the previously selected game again, that you have to wait a few seconds before powering back on to get the menu up.

The client software is a thing of hate. It's determined to shove the stupid help file on - the Chinese one at that - so ROMs have to be added individually and then the help file deleted before adding another. For just the initial fill it's fine though, hopefully I won't need to use it again.

Not sure how well it handles saves yet. It appears to be doing what I want. As long as it keeps my Pinball Challenge scores safe with everything else I'll be happy [​IMG]

4. IceRentoraa29

Member IceRentoraa29 Don't get in between a kid and his ice cream cone.

United States
    Pinball Challenge Deluxe doesn't work on Elink (I couldn't get it working on mines anyway [​IMG])