Hardware Recommend me a good External HDD?

kirokun

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am currently looking for a good External HDD for my Wii.

I was wondering if anyone could help me pick one out.
I'm looking for something that is cheap and works w/o problems [or at least not too many problems].

Also according to amazon reviews, seagate/WD brands aren't really top notch with these HDDs, so I really don't think I should settle in with those brands.

Thanks

lil_209

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i highly recommend the hp simple save 1tb hdd. its only $100 at best buy. i bought one right after i got my wii. partition it into 2 drives one for movies and one for games

bwillb

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i can pretty much guarantee that every single hard drive brand on amazon will have at least one review that says OMG THIS DRIVE DIEDED DONT BUY THIS BRAND.
long story short... buy what has the features you want. check the compatibility list for wii stuff, etc...
personally, I'm about to go buy an el cheapo 250gb hitachi simpledrive in the morning... its like $35, so it fits my main feature: cheap
tongue.gif

wiiuser2

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I have deployed now more than 5 seagate freeagent Go drives (500Gb) on Wii's without a single issue.
Pro's: 5-year warranty from seagate, fully powered through the single USB connector. Small device, completely silent operations....
One remark: after purchase use the provided seagate software to disable the sleep mode (select 'Never').
This settings will ensure the drive never goes to sleep when the Wii is switched on. When the Wii is switched off the drive will switch off too.

and no, I have no shares in Seagate. I am just a very happy customer of this product. You will not regret purchasing it.

Stubborn friends of mine who bought WD passport drives have regularly issues, one example: the WD is powered correctly on the Wii through one USB connector but on certain laptops you need a y-cable with two USB connectors for sufficient power. Unfortunately WD doesn't ship the drives with a Y-cable...
Anyway, this specific WD issue is not a generic one, just an observation from a very few cases.
I am sure plenty of people will be happy with the WD's too.

But my vote goes to the seagate freeagent go

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Western Digital My Book Essential Edition 1TB is a very good drive, it works with all the applications I throw at it.
Very good HDD! Probably gonna buy a new one too, just because I'm so happy with it!

luckwii

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Satangel said:
Western Digital My Book Essential Edition 1TB is a very good drive, it works with all the applications I throw at it.
Very good HDD! Probably gonna buy a new one too, just because I'm so happy with it!

For $20-30 more you can get the 1.5TB Western Digital. I got one of mine on sale, and it was the same price as the 1TB.

w!!

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have an WD Elements as well... The main thing to look for is a drive that doesn't "sleep" as they don't always wake when the Wii (in standby mode) does and you'll have to unplug and plug it back in manually.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."