Gaming Recommend me a game.

Askepios

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm beginning to run short on the kind of games I enjoy, but I know there must be more out there that I don't know about, so I figured I'd ask for some help.

I enjoy text-heavy games above all else. RPGs and interactive novel type games. I've been playing Hotel Dusk recently, and I want something else like it. About to start Trace Memory, so at least I've got something. Anything like that is good, along with most RPGs, though there probably aren't a whole lot of good ones I don't already know of.

I've liked Hotel Dusk, the Ace Attorney series, The World Ends With You, Soma Bringer, Final Fantasy IV from the fairly small amount I've played so far, and more that I don't feel like listing, but you should get the idea from that. Lately I've been getting into Rune Factory, too. I play other types of games, of course, but I'm mostly looking for something that I'd spend more time reading than playing right now. I love games like that.

You guys may be my only hope. I know there must be something out there for me.
sad.gif

Advi

Trophies
Website
www.fletchowns.net
XP
Country
United States
The official DS Web Browser game is text heavy
smile.gif

And "Moon" is brimming with dialouge (it's a sci-fi mystery)

BTW Do NOT play that Jake Hunter game, it was AWFUL

Goshogun1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hear Theresia is pretty good. A more mature adventure game from what I have seen. It got good reviews, and sounds just like the kind of game you want. (haven't gotten around to playing it tho)
The Touch Detective games aren't bad. Although the second is considered way better.

policrat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
There's ScummVMDS of course (for instance, Beneath a Steel Sky). The only actual DS game I remember enjoying of this sort was Ace Attorney.

Anakir

Project: Melee
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you can emulate GBA, it'd be nice to play Tactics Ogre and Golden Sun.

But for DS.. Disgaea may be good. It has a side of humour as well.

Edit: How can I forget.. there's Professor Layton. That game's both heavy on text and puzzles. Its an awesome game.

Askepios

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nessie said:
The official DS Web Browser game is text heavy
smile.gif

And "Moon" is brimming with dialouge (it's a sci-fi mystery)

BTW Do NOT play that Jake Hunter game, it was AWFUL

I pretty much dismissed Moon early on, because it's a shooter, and those...don't seem to go well on the DS. And I never enjoyed many shooters to begin with. Even with that, is it worth a try?

Goshogun1 said:
I hear Theresia is pretty good. A more mature adventure game from what I have seen. It got good reviews, and sounds just like the kind of game you want. (haven't gotten around to playing it tho)
The Touch Detective games aren't bad. Although the second is considered way better.

Oddly enough, I've never even heard of Theresia. A little dark for my tastes, but it looks promising. I'll have to check into it some more. Don't know much about Touch Detective, but it sounds fun.

policrat said:
There's ScummVMDS of course (for instance, Beneath a Steel Sky). The only actual DS game I remember enjoying of this sort was Ace Attorney.

I've actually been meaning to get ScummVMDS since the time I got my flashcart. I've somehow been consistently lazy enough to not do it since then.

QUOTE(Anakir @ Feb 17 2009, 10:56 PM)
If you can emulate GBA, it'd be nice to play Tactics Ogre and Golden Sun.

But for DS.. Disgaea may be good. It has a side of humour as well.

Edit: How can I forget.. there's Professor Layton. That game's both heavy on text and puzzles. Its an awesome game.

Very yes to Golden Sun. Except that I've already played it many times, so it doesn't really matter. But I do suggest it to everyone else.

Started Disgaea DS recently. Not too far into it, but it's fun. I enjoy games with odd humor like that. Started Layton too, but I just..can't really seem to get into it for some reason.

Rod

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
I enjoy text-heavy games above all else. RPGs and interactive novel type games.
DRAGON QUEST V

I've liked Hotel Dusk, the Ace Attorney series, The World Ends With You, Soma Bringer, Final Fantasy IV
DRAGON FEGGIN' QUEST V

ust be somet
DRAGON QUEST V AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

cupajoe

Have a cup of joe!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I might sound cranky, but these topics are getting really annoying. You could be contributing to the community and post useful topics, but instead you post topics that are recycled and over done. If you want me to recommend you a game, I recommend this game.

Askepios

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rod said:
I enjoy text-heavy games above all else. RPGs and interactive novel type games.
DRAGON QUEST V

I've liked Hotel Dusk, the Ace Attorney series, The World Ends With You, Soma Bringer, Final Fantasy IV
DRAGON FEGGIN' QUEST V

ust be somet
DRAGON QUEST V AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

...I think we might have a winner!

QUOTE(cupajoe @ Feb 17 2009, 11:32 PM) I might sound cranky, but these topics are getting really annoying. You could be contributing to the community and post useful topics, but instead you post topics that are recycled and over done. If you want me to recommend you a game, I recommend this game.

Whoa, calm down there. Don't automatically assume that posting a topic like this means I contribute nothing to the community. Granted, aside from answering some questions, I haven't really contributed much, but give it some time. I don't think asking for some game recommendations is world-ending. Besides, it's not fair to call it a recycled topic. It's not like I could just go to one of the other threads of the type for the same thing. I'm looking for specific games I'd like.

That said, an essentials thread with all kinds of games is nice when you're just looking for a good game, but not so much when you want something like other games you've liked.

cupajoe

Have a cup of joe!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Askepios said:
cupajoe said:
I might sound cranky, but these topics are getting really annoying. You could be contributing to the community and post useful topics, but instead you post topics that are recycled and over done. If you want me to recommend you a game, I recommend this game.

Whoa, calm down there. Don't automatically assume that posting a topic like this means I contribute nothing to the community. Granted, aside from answering some questions, I haven't really contributed much, but give it some time. I don't think asking for some game recommendations is world-ending. Besides, it's not fair to call it a recycled topic. It's not like I could just go to one of the other threads of the type for the same thing. I'm looking for specific games I'd like.

That said, an essentials thread with all kinds of games is nice when you're just looking for a good game, but not so much when you want something like other games you've liked.

There are plenty of topics from people who ask if there are any games like Phoenix Wright, you could just look around the NDS forums. I didn't mean to start a flame war or anything, and I shouldn't have taken out my frustration on you. Maybe you should have a more specific topic title so you don't look like some bored kid with a flash cart. If you want an honest recommendation from me on a text heavy game like Phoenix Wright, you should play Time Hollow. It falls into the same genre as Phoenix Wright.

Smatchmo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"I'm mostly looking for something that I'd spend more time reading than playing right now. I love games like that."

Give the Lone Wolf series a try, if you haven't already. It sounds right up your alley.
http://www.projectaon.org/staff/frederic/downloads.php

Good stuff. Similar to the Choose Your Own Adventure books of the 80s. (It's more like the Wizards, Warriors & You books, but those weren't as popular as CYOA....)

RyuKisargi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't really like Moon after my experience with it. I downloaded the ROM, liked it, bought it, then both froze around the same point. :/

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Least they got head in the end