Recommend a scart to HDMI converter

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by RealPetChicken, Nov 5, 2014.

1. RealPetChicken
    OP

RealPetChicken Member

Newcomer
    Nov 5, 2014
    United States
    Hi everyone, so i have been collecting old snes games and i can't decide which one to buy, there are so many. I know the most expensive one is XRGB Frameheister, but they are too expensive.

So can anyone recommend a scart to hdmi converter that works well and is affordable? i found some for like $60 on amazon.

Thanks everyone.​

2. Fishaman P

Fishaman P Speedrunner

Jan 2, 2010
    United States
    Wisconsin
    By SCART, do you mean RBG SCART?

3. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    I'm a little confused as well, do you own a PAL SNES? SCART was the standard for PAL TVs in the EU, but your country flag is a US one.

Anyways, SCART uses an analogue signal whereas HDMI is a digital signal, there aren't a lot of analogue to digital converter out there that are necessarily cheap, this: http://www.amazon.com/CKITZE-BG-460-System-Digital-Converter/dp/B00988GMLG has good enough reviews so I would say this I suppose.

4. Fishaman P

Fishaman P Speedrunner

Jan 2, 2010
    United States
    Wisconsin
    I think that's why he wants an HDMI converter :P

Anyway, the SNES outputs a 256x224 @ 60.0988 fps video signal. You're going to need a pretty damn fancy converter to both keep the original quality and prevent your HDTV from barfing.

5. Sakitoshi

Sakitoshi everything is going according the plan...

May 8, 2012
    Chile
    behind a keyboard or a gamepad
    He named the XRGB Frameheister, so he might be looking for a scanline generator or analog to digital scaler.
    those devices are costly but do a very good job displaying old games on modern TVs.

here is a good read in the matter.
    http://scanlines.hazard-city.de/demystified.html

of course you can get good results with a PC+emulators too. but that'll defeat the purpose of your collection.

6. trumpet-205

trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    The one that Tom linked is as best as you can get that taps into RGB signal. SCART carries 3 types of video signal: composite, S-Video, and RGB. RGB is the best, followed by S-video, then composite.

Keep in mind that device that Tom linked does not so good job with progressive source (it de-interlace even on progressive source). Obviously if you want proper handling XRGB is the way to go.

Or do you just want scanline?