Recomendation for slot 2 card

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by ECas123, Jun 4, 2007.

Jun 4, 2007

Recomendation for slot 2 card by ECas123 at 2:57 AM (2,301 Views / 0 Likes) 33 replies

1. ECas123
    OP

Newcomer ECas123 Member

United States
    I just got an R4DS (Well ordered one anyway) and I want to have something for my slot 2 for GBA, ripping the game saves off my original carts and so on. I was thinking of getting an m3 lite slot 2 but I'm not sure it will work with the R4 can someone help me out? b.t.w. I really don't want to flash my DS

2. Verocity

Member Verocity Ö!

United States
    PharaohsVizier is right, you could also get a EZ4 Compact for just GBA games, it just depends on what you want to do with your Slot 2.

3. ECas123
    OP

Newcomer ECas123 Member

United States
    Yeah I think I'll go with the EZ, I found it on Deal Extremehere for 19.05 (I love DealExtreme) so heres an EZ question what kind of memory does it have? Do I have to use a MicroSD with it too?
    Edit: Sorry forgot the link to deal extreme

4. ECas123
    OP

Newcomer ECas123 Member

United States
    So this (EZ-Flash) is the one I should get if I want to use a microsd? Also if I have the R4 and the EZ-Flash both in the DS, when I boot up the DS will it give me the choice of what to boot into?

5. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    Don't get the compact, it has greatly reduced GBA capabilities. If you want a slot 2 cart with it's own microSD card, get the EZ-4 lite deluxe.

The 3-in-1 stores files on the slot 1 cart's microSD card. It isn't limited to only one game at a time, it just doesn't store the files itself. more info here: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=50658

6. ECas123
    OP

Newcomer ECas123 Member

United States
    Ok this is what I want in a slot 2 cart if theres anything with this then please post it and make my life a little easier
    1. Allow me to rip game saves off my carts that I own to let me play the backups on my R4
    2. Let me use this
    3. Work ok with my R4
    4. Act as RAM for the Opera Browser
    5. Uses MicroSD

So is there any cart that does all that?

7. zoharmodifier

Member zoharmodifier GBAtemp Regular

United States
    1. There are utilities that rip saves off of GBA carts. You don't need a slot2 device for this... besides, if you had a slot2 flash device, how would you get the save off of your original GBA cart since they use the same slot? The utils aren't perfect though, I haven't found one that could rip the saves off of my newer games (FFIV-VI) or my Fire Emblem games.
    2. That patch is for the EZV 3in1 ... so you need the 3in1.
    3. Most do.
    4. EZV 3in1.
    5. Lots of them do.. but I don't see it being necessary.

My personal pick is the 3in1. I sold my G6 Lite in favor of the 3in1 simply because I really hated the loading times of GBA games. Since I don't switch between different GBA games that often (I've already played most of the good ones), I just need to write it once to NOR and then I use the 3in1 as a normal GBA cart. Plus, you get slot1+slot2 functionality, which is great. RAM for Opera is a plus, though I haven't found myself using it very much. Rumble is also a sort of superfluous feature, but it's good to have if you really want to use it... I guess.

Also, you can use your R4 MicroSD card to store all the GBA games and write them to PSRAM (faster, but not permanent) or NOR (slower, but makes the 3in1 a "real" GBA cart). So really, it's just like having an M3, G6, etc., but better.

8. ECas123
    OP

Newcomer ECas123 Member

United States
    Oh sorry put that wrong. I want to rip saves off of my DS games (Diamond, Pearl Mario) ONTO the cart in the slot 2 (The only gaming on the slot 2 I might be doing is pokemon and mario and thats it)

9. Arnold Schwarzen

Member Arnold Schwarzen GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
  10. zoharmodifier

United States
    I know the G6L does this, not sure about other carts. The 3in1 does not.

11. ECas123
    OP

Newcomer ECas123 Member

United States
    Yeah I always go with Deal Extreme (I already linked to it [​IMG] ) and to be exact (For me anyway) shipping is a penny [​IMG]

12. ECas123
    OP

Newcomer ECas123 Member

United States
    Yeah it looks alright but where can I find a good deal on it? (Can only it at $85)

13. ECas123
    OP

Newcomer ECas123 Member

United States
    So you're saying that the G6 Lite can rip a game save off a commerciial DS cartridge and put it on the G6's memory?

14. ECas123
    OP

Newcomer ECas123 Member

United States
    And the G6 can work with my R4DS? (My DS isnt flashed)

Sorry I'm asking so many questions I'm just making sure that I'm going to buy something for 80 dollars and it does what I want.

15. zoharmodifier

United States
    Yes the G6 will work with your R4 since the R4 can act as a PassMe. And yes, to be clear, it can rip saves off of commercial DS carts and put them onto its memory.

Still, $80 vs. $20... you must really want that save ripping functionality. I actually remember seeing a utility that will do this via slot1 (you can eject your R4 and stick in a commercial game). I think it was called Eepinator or something like that (for EEPROM). Might want to search for that before you invest $80 into the G6L.

16. Home_Rowed

Newcomer Home_Rowed Advanced Member

United States
    You could get a G6L at Deal Extreme for $45, but I would really recommend getting an ez 3in1 you could still rip you ds card saves using homebrew apps like eepinator and rain if they are in the .ds.gba format. I don't know if that would actually work but it might.

17. ECas123
    OP

Newcomer ECas123 Member

United States
  18. ECas123
    OP

Newcomer ECas123 Member

United States
    Think you can help me find that program? I don't have any wifi here. and that seems so simple to do

19. Home_Rowed

Newcomer Home_Rowed Advanced Member

United States
    Sorry to impose on your question towards zoharmodifier but you can find the app here. It may not work it depends on the flash card on my ds-x it doesn't.

20. Maikel Steneker

Member Maikel Steneker M3 Fanboy

Netherlands
    It works with M3 Lite (Perfect) too. There already is homebrew to do that with a slot 1 card though. You just start the program from, for example, a M3 Simply, take the M3 Simply out, put the original game in and download the save to your PC. You can also write it back (same way).

Edit: sorry, I didn't see the second page where they already talked about this.

Well, now you have to decide to get a M3 Lite or 3 in 1.

M3 Lite:
    - More expansive
    - Doesn't act like an original game (so no Gamecube linking in most cases)
    - No rumble

3 in 1:
    - Cheap
    - Rumble, browser RAM and GBA rom space
    - Acts like original game

You can already rip saves using a Slot 1 card. On a 3 in 1 it isn't possible. It is on the M3 Lite.