Hacking Recently got a used 3DS, *very* new, but looking to get a cart

jakisthe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I got a used 3DS from a friend, and, as the topic title says, I'm looking to get a cart, after having had a good ol' R4 back in the day.

Problem is, I have no idea what to get. My 3DS' firmware is "9.6.0-24U", for what it's worth, but:

-What card do I get in the first place? I did some poking, read the wiki, and all that; seems Gateway is the best, but I also saw lots of "Bugs: Doesn't support 9.6 or above" and the like. I see the "All firmwares 10.7 and below can be downgraded", yes, but I'm uncertain of how involved that'll be and am aiming for something as painless as possible
-Where would I get such a card? I know, I know, nds-card is the sponsor, but their paypal method where I need to email someone seems as shady as possible while still technically utilizing paypal, and I've read a few other sites saying it's a scam. Plus, of course, the gateway site itself doesn't mention it...

I tried reading the various resources here, but I have no idea at all the meaning or application of .cia, EMUnand, etc., so I'm afraid it all goes over my head. I also apologize if this is the wrong place to put this; it's been a while since I've been to these forums.

Last edited by jakisthe,

hibachib

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't buy a 3DS flashcart, as it's unnecessary at this point due to the advent of CFW (custom firmware). Now you can load (ahem) "backup copies" of games on your 3DS' memory card directly.

This GUIDE will take you through every step of the process.

Last edited by hibachib,
Reactions: 1 person

Mikemk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
-What card do I get in the first place?
Well: (all this info is available elsewhere, but since you're new I'll forgive you).
For 3DS ROMs:
  • Gateway has a menu to choose your ROM, and cheats, patches, region changing, homebrew, etc. If someone sees you buying it, you can use the "I'm getting it for homebrew" excuse. It requires your 3DS (sysnand) to be on 9.2, but provides an emulated system (emunand) for newest firmwares. Gateway has malicious code in their launcher which you brick your 3DS if you use a clone card or DSTwo+. If you're pirating, you must have a private header or you'll be banned from online play+eShop+Miiverse+etc.
  • Sky3DS+ supports all firmwares, but is more expensive, does not support homebrew, and has no menu. It has buttons to go to the next and previous rom, making it inconvenient for more than a few ROMs. If you're pirating, you must have a private header or you'll be banned from online play+eShop+Miiverse+etc.
  • a9lh+CFW lets you convert cartridge ROMs to .cia files (eShop version), and run them on the 3DS. Supports homebrew by definition, is free, supports cheats, patches, etc. Not sure whether private headers are needed or how they work, but I don't think they are needed.
  • DSTwo+ is the only flashcart which supports DS and 3DS ROMs. It emulates a Gateway cart, but the launcher will detect it as a clone and brick your 3DS. Still, you can use an outdated gateway launcher and play single player 3DS games w/ no multiplayer/online/eShop features (even in legit carts) If you're pirating, you must have a private header or you'll be banned from online play+eShop+Miiverse+etc.
For DS ROMs:
  • DSTwo/DSTwo+ is the best flashcart, as it can play DS and 3DS ROMs (see above), and has a built in emulator for GBA and SNES ROMs (though a native 3DS emulator is better). I recommend using bagplug as your menu.
  • r4i Gold 3DS is the best if you can't afford the DSTwo. On the DS Lite, it's better due to auto rumble patching.
  • Cyclo DS iEvolution is expensive and hard to find, but capable of loading ROMs in DSi mode.
  • DSTT (hard to find), r4-SDHC, and DSONE (easier, but also hard to find) support NDS forwarding, see below. Not sure whether DSONEi works here.
Most people would probably recommend a9lh+CFW+NDS forwarding, so I've colored those purple.

-Where would I get such a card? I know, I know, nds-card is the sponsor, but their paypal method where I need to email someone seems as shady as possible while still technically utilizing paypal, and I've read a few other sites saying it's a scam
You go to the manufacturer's website and buy from an authorized reseller.

I tried reading the various resources here, but I have no idea at all the meaning or application of .cia, EMUnand, etc., so I'm afraid it all goes over my head. I also apologize if this is the wrong place to put this; it's been a while since I've been to these forums.
Games are available in two formats: *.3ds is an image of a cartridge, and .cia is what the eShop installs.
You have a NAND chip inside your 3DS. It's the 3DS's equivalent of a hard drive. sysnand is what's actually on the chip. emunand/rednand is an emulated chip stored on your 3DS's SD card, enabling you to use the latest system version without actually updated your sysnand (and losing exploits on it). emunand is similar in some ways to a ROM image, and your 3DS loading the ROM instead of its own firmware.

Something tells me I'll be ninja'd this took a while to write.

Last edited by Mikemk, , Reason: typo

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I got a used 3DS from a friend, and, as the topic title says, I'm looking to get a cart, after having had a good ol' R4 back in the day.

Problem is, I have no idea what to get. My 3DS' firmware is "9.6.0-24U", for what it's worth, but:

-What card do I get in the first place? I did some poking, read the wiki, and all that; seems Gateway is the best, but I also saw lots of "Bugs: Doesn't support 9.6 or above" and the like. I see the "All firmwares 10.7 and below can be downgraded", yes, but I'm uncertain of how involved that'll be and am aiming for something as painless as possible
-Where would I get such a card? I know, I know, nds-card is the sponsor, but their paypal method where I need to email someone seems as shady as possible while still technically utilizing paypal, and I've read a few other sites saying it's a scam. Plus, of course, the gateway site itself doesn't mention it...

so . . . the only flashcard recommended if you are above 9.2 is sky3ds
that said dont buy one as @hibachib said you can downgrade and install cfw to accomplish your goals for free
if you want to familiarize yourself with 3ds hacking terms

jakisthe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Great, thanks for the help everyone. I'll read all of that, see what I can do what that guide, and come back if I have additional questions.

Last edited by jakisthe,
Reactions: wormdood

Thee_BaBs

I do things, sometimes
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
D

Deleted User

Hmm. So I'm following the guide at https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/Part-1-(Homebrew)

And I get to the browserhax portion, but it freezes on a red screen. Searching the internet hasn't gotten me anywhere - seems there's quite a number of ways to do this - so any idea what the trouble might be? This is a 3DSXL, for what it's worth.
Maybe try re downloading the files and putting them back onto your SD card. Make sure that you don't change any of the names of the files either. Or you can just keep restarting the device. Both may or may not fix your problem, just a suggestion.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You are on a firmware that can be downgraded to 9.2, and from there you can install CFW which will allow you to install any game directly to the 3ds.
If you must go the flashcard route still, I recommend the Sky3ds over Gateway. Sky3ds supports up to latest firmware, and works even on non-hacked 3ds consoles (Gateway requires exploits to be able to do anything, hence why it only supports 9.6 or lower). Gateway has gone downhill as of late, and now just resort to stealing open-source software and slapping their branding on it to try to stay even equal with the current status of what we can do for free with software that is developed by the community.

Reactions: jakisthe

jakisthe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the advice everyone! Tenshi-Okami had it correct; I had just "starter" in the root in lieu of the actual "starter" contents. So now I'm here:
https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/Part-2-(9.2.0-Downgrade)

More specifically, step 12.5; right after I pass Hax Init, it goes into the Nintendo error message. My question is - when that happens (3 times now), do I need to reinstall the homebrew channel in it's entirety? The instructions on top of that link say to do it all from the top again, so I've been doing it from the very very start, but it's taking forever. Can I just try to reload the PlaiSysUpdater?

rikumax25!

Keyblade Wielder
Trophies
XP
Country
Costa Rica
Thanks for the advice everyone! Tenshi-Okami had it correct; I had just "starter" in the root in lieu of the actual "starter" contents. So now I'm here:
https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/Part-2-(9.2.0-Downgrade)

More specifically, step 12.5; right after I pass Hax Init, it goes into the Nintendo error message. My question is - when that happens (3 times now), do I need to reinstall the homebrew channel in it's entirety? The instructions on top of that link say to do it all from the top again, so I've been doing it from the very very start, but it's taking forever. Can I just try to reload the PlaiSysUpdater?

Follow the guide as it says to avoid bricking (leaving the console as useful as a brick). Its made the safest way, it maybe the longest but better not take the risk

jakisthe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good! Although this *is* starting to get...weird. Maybe it just usually takes around 20 tries? The note at the top says it could take a few tries to get to the button prompts, but I get to the button prompts easily enough; it's getting past the successful HAX INIT test (which I almost always get) which is leading to the Nintendo error screen.

Tenshi_Okami

Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
Good! Although this *is* starting to get...weird. Maybe it just usually takes around 20 tries? The note at the top says it could take a few tries to get to the button prompts, but I get to the button prompts easily enough; it's getting past the successful HAX INIT test (which I almost always get) which is leading to the Nintendo error screen.
I have a question, are you opening Plaisysupdater with what entry point?

Do you launch the browser hack to get in it, or do you use menuhax(opens up the hack even before the 3ds starts completely)?

HyperT

Trophies
XP
Country
@Mikemk saying Sky3ds[+] doesn't support homebrew is a tad wrong. As homebrew isn't something thats installed but redirected to.

Sky3ds can be used to run homebrew via emulating a exploitable cart [oot3ds, freaky, cubic etc].

A9lh/luma of course bypasses the need for an exploit cart via hbl.cia

jakisthe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Do you launch the browser hack to get in it, or do you use menuhax(opens up the hack even before the 3ds starts completely)?
I've attempted it both by going in via the browser (using the QR code, if it matters), and just pressing the preload button from a cold boot. Neither makes any difference, best I can tell.

jakisthe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I've attempted it both by going in via the browser (using the QR code, if it matters), and just pressing the preload button from a cold boot. Neither makes any difference, best I can tell.

Tenshi_Okami

Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
Keep trying with the coldboot one, format the 3ds if you think that could help

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: @Xdqwerty, Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! is the Japanese version of the game, different... +1