Recently back on the psp scene.. So much change. Help!!

Discussion in 'PSP - Games & Content' started by mrwienerdog, Jan 14, 2010.

1. mrwienerdog
    OP

mrwienerdog GBAtemp Regular

Nov 1, 2007
    Canada
    So I am on firmware 3.9 (I think). What do I need to do to upgrade? I have no battery or anything. I am on the custom 3.9, so is there a way to upgrade to something newer without fancy pieces of hardware, or am I fucked? Do any of the new games play on old firmware (Little Big Planet, etc.)?

2. prowler

prowler Sony

Jul 14, 2009
    Ragol
  3. mrwienerdog
    OP

Nov 1, 2007
    Canada
    I don't mean to sound like an idiot, but I have never done this before. If I have CFW 3.9, how do I procceed? Do I need a pandora? Or do I just download the 5.00 m33 and swing away?

4. prowler

prowler Sony

Jul 14, 2009
    Ragol
    Download and swing away.

5. mrwienerdog
    OP

Nov 1, 2007
    Canada
    Thanks alot, really appreciate the help.

Just curious, will all games work on the 3.9? Should I even bother to upgrade the FW?

6. purplesludge

purplesludge anyone have any ideas for this space

Mar 2, 2009
    United States
    wv
    You need to update. New games need to be decrypted on m33 but work fine on gen.

7. mrwienerdog
    OP

Nov 1, 2007
    Canada
    So I got the 5.00 M33-6, and am in the proccess of d/l the official 5.00. The instructions say to put the official update as 500.PBP in the same folder. So all I need to do is rename the official one as '500.PBP'? Once I have these files in my PSP/GAME folder, how do I run the file to update the FW? I assume I have to run the M33-6 (EBOOT.PBP on my memory stick)? Does the M33-6 automatically and magically use the renamed official firmware?

Sorry for the noobishness, just not interested in a brick.

Thanks.

8. prowler

prowler Sony

Jul 14, 2009
    Ragol
    You put 500.PBP on the root of your memory card. Then run and follow instructions

9. mrwienerdog
    OP

Nov 1, 2007
    Canada
    All right, I'm just charging my battery to 100% (apparently plugged in isn't good enough). Will let you know how it goes! Thanks for the help.

10. mrwienerdog
    OP

Nov 1, 2007
    Canada
    Worked great, no problems. Ghostbusters didn't work, though. Oh well, I'll grab a different one. Looking forward to Gran Turismo and Tekken!

11. mrwienerdog
    OP

Nov 1, 2007
    Canada
    Okay, so everything went okay with the update, but most of the new games won't play. WTF? Do I have to be on a newer firmware that 5.00? So far, I have three of the newer .iso s that don't work. If I need to update past 5.00, what do I need to do? Back to square one. Will I need a pandora? Please advise.

12. Jamstruth

Jamstruth Secondary Feline Anthropomorph

Apr 23, 2009
    North East Scotland
    Are you on 5.00 M33-6? In which case the games need to be decrypted (a process I don't know about as I use GEN-D3) if you don't want to do this just run the 5.50 GEN D3 final updater and it will reflash your PSP to 5.50 GEN D3 which has a built in decryptor so you can play original UMD and iso backups of all games up to December last year.

13. mrwienerdog
    OP

Nov 1, 2007
    Canada
    Thanks a lot!!!