Gaming Recent SoftMod PSP Series

TwinBlades

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey guys, I've really never looked into PSP games because I heard lots of people saying how PSP are horrible etc. I've always played ipod touch or ds games as my main portable excluding laptop. Luckly, after talking to some of my friends at a site. I've realized PSP had a lot of games that never came to me for some odd reason :S. After watching and learning about the Monster Hunter Freedom United game. I REALLY WANT A PSP NOW XD. I mean 1000+ hours of game and rpg 3d style that I love, who wouldn't want a gaming device for just that one game.

Anyways, sorry for the story! Of course I'll be playing variety of other games and homebrews. I was wondering whats the latest or upcomcing PSP (I know it's impossible to predict if it's hackable but I've read somewhere that Sony wil be releasing a PSP with new hardware but somehow exactly hackable as the other PSP) thats FULLY hackable. I don't know the "semi-hackable" thought, it would be great if someone can explain or I'll research myself.

I just basically want the PSP to be like the DS. Fully "customizable" with no problems (no offense but I mean like acekard/cyclods on a DSL instead of R4 since it has lots of problems lately) and play ROM or w/e their called for PSP fine, fully functioned.

Thank you guys very much for the time and help!!!

EDIT: Is the semi hack basically the current jailbreak state of the iPod Touch 3rd Gen? (When ever you turn off, you have to reinstall the custom firmware. But when you reinstall all the things you had when it was hacked are still there instead of having to redownload all the program/apps you've had)

DS1

Tired
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It sounds like you want the PSP-100x (the 'Phat', the very first PSP to come out). It's completely 'hackable' and you'll be able to play almost everything with no problems (unfortunately, ALL PSPs are similar to R4 in that you'll have to wait a while for fixes for certain games, there's no way around it except buying real games and patience). The best thing about the PSP-100x series is that you can always recover them from bricking, which may happen if you screw something up while hacking.

On the other hand, many people prefer PSP-200x series (the PSP slim), as the design is a better and has less hardware problems. The only serious problem with PSP-200x series is that you have to make sure not to get one with a motherboard that cannot be hacked. It's difficult to tell which motherboard a PSP has just by looking at it, but I'm sure some other people will respond to give you the details.

Jolan

Unlimited Bear Works
Trophies
Website
www.animecubed.com
XP
Country
TwinBlades said:
Is the semi hack basically the current jailbreak state of the iPod Touch 3rd Gen? (When ever you turn off, you have to reinstall the custom firmware. But when you reinstall all the things you had when it was hacked are still there instead of having to redownload all the program/apps you've had)
Pretty much that. Shut it down, everything disappears from memory. Start up the exploit that leads to a homebrew enabler, run your specific Custom Firmware Enabler homebrew, Everything went better than expected.
I myself have a 2k with a new motherboard, but since the software version was under 5.03, i had no problems with hacking it and am playing games on it right now.
Agreeing with the previous poster, 1k is like the Fat version of the PSP, aka you can do anything to it, but you'll be able to fix it definitely.
But the 2k, or Slim, is the better version because the difference between 1k and 2k is like regular DS and DS lite. Just make sure you get one that's definitely hackable.

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Meh....You should get a Ice PSP 2001. That is included in the "Daxter" bundle pack. It's fully hackable.

psp-2000.jpg

Link To Bundle Pack

TwinBlades

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
DS1 said:
Sora1234 said:
Meh....You should get a Ice PSP 2001. That is included in the "Daxter" bundle pack. It's fully hackable.
[/url]

I think the shipping/taxes to Korea might be obscene though
unsure.gif
Lol, its all good I'm korean but dont live in Korea xD. I live in Canada. Also is the ice/silver version fully hackable? I love the colour and i've seen a lot of people use it. But I don't know if I should buy stand alone version or bundle. (Which bundle?)

BTW: I'm planning on getting the ice version. But I'm wondering if I'll need pandora battery? I'm guessing the Pandora battery is kinda like a flashcart for the ds so you can fully customize while the chicken program? Has less features?

Edit: Also I don't have ps3 do I have to buy WiFi Max to play online or is there another way? I believe that the computer has to be on in order to play wifi?

DS1

Tired
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are definitely some other topics on this board that answer those other questions, but...

A Pandora Battery will allow you to install programs that are blocked by official firmware (this includes the programs that allow you to change to Custom Firmware). It is also useful for recovering your PSP from a brick, and a few other things, but you will not need to use it nonstop. You use it for whatever action you're doing (usually changing the firmware from OFW to CFW for the first time), and then set it aside for emergencies or downgrading (if you have PSP-1000).
*so once you have Custom FirmWare on your psp, you don't need a Pandora to run or install homebrew.

You can play online so long as there is a wifi point for the PSP to connect to (like a router). Unless your computer IS the router (like certain Mac's built-in airport base), you can turn it off and still play online. The router has to be on though.

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TwinBlades said:
DS1 said:
Sora1234 said:
[/url]

I think the shipping/taxes to Korea might be obscene though
unsure.gif
Lol, its all good I'm korean but dont live in Korea xD. I live in Canada. Also is the ice/silver version fully hackable? I love the colour and i've seen a lot of people use it. But I don't know if I should buy stand alone version or bundle. (Which bundle?)

BTW: I'm planning on getting the ice version. But I'm wondering if I'll need pandora battery? I'm guessing the Pandora battery is kinda like a flashcart for the ds so you can fully customize while the chicken program? Has less features?

Edit: Also I don't have ps3 do I have to buy WiFi Max to play online or is there another way? I believe that the computer has to be on in order to play wifi?

1.Yes, The Ice PSP is fully hackable.
2.The bundle comes with a "Daxter" game, but if you don't like Daxter games, or don't wanna spend the money don't buy it, just get the PSP itself.
3.Yes, you'll need a Pandora Battery, and you need to make your own Magic Memory Stick. (A normal PSP Memory card, with certain files on it.)
4.Yes, you can buy a Wifi Dongle, but if you have a wireless router connected to the internet. It'll work.

Here is a link to the Pandora battery I bought. It'll work with the PSP 1000, and 2000.

CrashmanX

Current project: SD Gundam G Generation Overworld
Trophies
Website
boards.4chan.org
XP
Country
United States
TwinBlades said:
DS1 said:
You can play online so long as there is a wifi point for the PSP to connect to (like a router). Unless your computer IS the router (like certain Mac's built-in airport base), you can turn it off and still play online. The router has to be on though.
QUOTE(Sora1234 @ Apr 28 2010, 02:11 PM)
4.Yes, you can buy a Wifi Dongle, but if you have a wireless router connected to the internet. It'll work.

Well Twin that really depends, as these 2 seemed to have missed, most games don't have actual online. Monster Hunter and most other PSP games have AdHoc and not Wireless, so unless your router natively can give out an Ad-Hoc single (Very few do) you will need to buy some sort of adapter to play PSP games with Ad-Hoc in an online mode.

TwinBlades

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
CrashmanX said:
TwinBlades said:
DS1 said:
QUOTE(Sora1234 @ Apr 28 2010, 02:11 PM)

Well Twin that really depends, as these 2 seemed to have missed, most games don't have actual online. Monster Hunter and most other PSP games have AdHoc and not Wireless, so unless your router natively can give out an Ad-Hoc single (Very few do) you will need to buy some sort of adapter to play PSP games with Ad-Hoc in an online mode.
Thanks, this is why I kinda hesitate to buy the PSP. Most games don't have that wireless router access (EPIC FAIL). Unlike my DS I need either a ps3 or wifimax or some other dongle. Another problem is that both of them have to be on in order to play

TwinBlades

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Also, I've read a few articles saying that I can go on wifi and play games with my wireless router but it only works for some :l. Anyone know if mine would work? I have Belkin F5D7230-4 Wireless G Router, I seem to have the older version because when I search on google this smaller black router shows up.

Heres mine: http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Wireless-G-Ro...y/dp/B00008ZPJU

Don't read the reviews and such because I myself think it's a cheap and very efficient router even though I got it as a gift from a store. People just don't know how to set-up the thing and thats the reason for bad rep.

EDIT:"Offers backward-compatibility with all 802.11b devices" does this mean it will work?

CrashmanX

Trophies
Website
boards.4chan.org
XP
Country
United States
You need to find out if it can give an Ad-Hoc signal. If it can then your set for all PSP games, if not you can only play PSP games that have an Online option.

TwinBlades

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Jolan said:
Actually, about that Daxter bundle, I don't think it's hackable anymore. IIRC, they replaced the packs with unhackable PSPs quite a long time ago.
So what does this men
frown.gif
. If I buy and there are still new ones at EBGames/Gamestop, I'll brick it forever O.o?

Overman1977

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
DS1 said:
There are definitely some other topics on this board that answer those other questions, but...

A Pandora Battery will allow you to install programs that are blocked by official firmware (this includes the programs that allow you to change to Custom Firmware). It is also useful for recovering your PSP from a brick, and a few other things, but you will not need to use it nonstop. You use it for whatever action you're doing (usually changing the firmware from OFW to CFW for the first time), and then set it aside for emergencies or downgrading (if you have PSP-1000).
*so once you have Custom FirmWare on your psp, you don't need a Pandora to run or install homebrew.

Is that true? One only needs the Pandora battery initially to load CFW and for unbricking?...ahhh hell. I've been using it as a reg battery all this time.

I just need this confirmed, thx.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
You're fine using a Pandora for regular activities, it's just that the whole point of it is to boot the PSP in service mode which means it reads from the MS rather than the internal memory. Once you have CFW though it makes no difference what you use to power the thing...most people use potatoes.

CrashmanX

Trophies
Website
boards.4chan.org
XP
Country
United States
xist said:
You're fine using a Pandora for regular activities, it's just that the whole point of it is to boot the PSP in service mode which means it reads from the MS rather than the internal memory. Once you have CFW though it makes no difference what you use to power the thing...most people use potatoes.

Indeed, as they are quite effective and cheap.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Badcatalex @ Badcatalex:
    sony should #stopkillinggames
  • Badcatalex @ Badcatalex:
    they killed LittleBigPlanet online, which was the main core of every LBP game
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    for real
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    at least with them, it was because of the DDOS attacks, ubisoft was just scummy
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll see the 19.0 update that blocks use ability to it
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol newegg+
    Screenshot-20240423-053504-Gmail.jpg
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol newegg+