Recent freak accidents?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by nintendofreak, Nov 11, 2007.

Nov 11, 2007

Recent freak accidents? by nintendofreak at 5:53 AM (1,121 Views / 0 Likes) 14 replies

1. nintendofreak
    OP

Member nintendofreak Around. Shoot me a PM.

United States
    I know there was a previous "freak accidents" thread, but Im taking about recent!

Well today would be my first real accident/ Emergency room worthy incident.

I was welding at school (im working on the rose float from my school [​IMG] ) and had just lifted my mask up to check out my weld. Right next to me a guy was hitting his weld (removing some black stuff called "slag") when a piece of the slag flew into my eye. It was pretty hot after being molten metal a few seconds earlier. In short, I drove myself to the ER cause my friend sucked (i mean sucked!) at driving and didnt like taking the highway.
    Heres a pic, the doctor put some UV liquid in to see into my eye. The green stuff is where the wound is at.
    [​IMG]

It turns out the piece of metal cut up some of my Cornia. I can still see perfectly, but it burns like a bitch. I got some X-rays to see if any metal was still stuck inside. Lucky there wasnt any. I got some antibiotic drops (which didnt take away the pain) and after that spent the next 2 hours driving home on the street, a bit drowsy and with a EXTREMELY irritated eye. I'll have to wait till tuesday to go to the eye doctor, because monday is a holiday [​IMG]
    I call it a freak accident because I HAD TO pull up my mask just as someone was hitting his weld and it just so happens that the metal went straight for my eye. I had it coming [​IMG]

Sooo any recent freak accidents???

2. Infinitus

Member Infinitus GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I pulled on Mewgia's shirt. Now my finger is swollen like a bizatch. DX

3. Nero

Member Nero GBAtemp RPG Maniac

United States
    Wow... Nintendofreak that really sucks.

It sounded like it hurt like hell too..

~Nero

4. Takrin

Member Takrin GBAtemp Fan

United States
    damn that sucks, hope everything turns out ok.

i'm suprised they didn't make you wear terminator sunglasses or pirate eye patch. all i know is i'm glad i wear glasses it has protected my eyes from harm a lot. just ruin your eyesight with videogames and you wont have to worry about eye injury for awhile.

5. JPH

Banned JPH Banned

United States
    Hope everything works out for the better.
    Maybe your eye won't be permanentely damaged.
    I sure would hate no to see out of my eyes, even if it was just one.

Freak Accidents?
    Not trying to be an attention whore, but 2 years ago, my mother died.
    One day she was mowing the yard, healthy as can be (while I sat my fat-ass in the house, and I should of helped...which I regret).
    We had gone to the mall later that night, she bought us all dinner, and we bought some new shoes for school.

Later that night (or, I should say morning), when her and my brother was I asleep - I was awake (trolling some Zatch Bell forum).
    4 o'clock A.M., she stumbles out of her bedroom and complains about an awful headache.
    She's to the point where she can barely walk and begins throwing up.
    If I hadn't of been awake, we would of woken up to see our mother dead...which was a good thing I was awake. Atleast she had a chance of living. (I never shared that with anyone, so that makes you guys special [​IMG])
    So, I immediately call the cops, they rush an ambulance out here.
    Well, she ends up dying the next day in her sleep, from an anurism in the brain.

One day she's outside and being active. She didn't eat much, but she didn't starve herself.
    I found it very hard that was the reason she died.
    I consider it a freak accident...sorta.
    Healthy one day, dead the other.

And if you do have to wear a pirate eye-patch until your eye heals, make sure you post a picture of you wearing it up here on the temp! (no offense) [​IMG]

6. Nero

United States
    Wow.. That's pretty messed up story, JPH.

Doesn't seem you're too sad about it?

~Nero

7. cubin'

Member cubin' GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    Jesus christ! you're very lucky you didn't lose the eye.

go see your doctor and get some painkillers. shouldn't have to put up with that.

8. Nero

United States
    Hehe, yeah.

Don't abuse them though. Max Payne style. [​IMG]

~Nero

9. JPH

Banned JPH Banned

United States
    You get used to it over time.
    Less crying and hoping that they're somehow still alive and being pissed at God and the world.

Don't get me wrong, I loved her...she was my mother.
    But, I know where she is now, and she's much happier.
    She wasn't much happy here on earth.
    Never had enough money, always barrowing from someone else.
    We were poor and she couldn't find a job. And she lost both of her jobs (one she got replaced, because the lady who quit decided to come back and work there. The other she was a substitute teacher for a couple of months until the teacher returned...)
    She wouldn't want us to grieve over her, but to remember her the way she was.
    Damn, you got me all teary-eyed now. [​IMG]

P.S. I can see where I come off as an 'attention whore' and I'm sorry, just answering his question.

10. iffy525

Member iffy525 not famous

United States
    this is not too much of a freak accident but when i was like 3 years old my dog was eating his foods when i came up near his food. not the best idea [​IMG] but i guess i was only 3. so he bit me less than and inch away from my eye so i had to be rushed to the er to get healed up and i still have the scar to this day. i have to admit the scar is kinda tight though [​IMG]
    i still loved my dog a lot even though he bit me and i was extremely sad when he had to be put down. :'(

11. Nero

United States
    It's alright. A real man knows when to cry. (Wait, you're a guy right? [​IMG]

My mom cried days without sleep when her dad died. Now she doesn't get teared up all over it.

Yeah... Remember the life they lived, not their deaths.

~Nero

(Hey JPH.. I requested a Avvie in your Avatar Factory thread.. I didn't know if you just didn't take my request or were too busy, or just didnt see it, or , I'd like it if you responded [​IMG] )

12. amptor

Banned amptor Banned

United States
    I was cutting a bar of steel with the lathe one time and a big piece flew up in the air over my goggles and right onto my nose (you know where your goggles are on your nose when you wear them, like right behind that). So at first I was like man where'd that metal go, then I was like well I guess it was cool enough because I can't feel it, then DAMN that was hot as hell so I threw the goggles off pretty far right in front of the boss and the welder, and then it was still there! So I brushed it off quickly with my hand and it left like this mark in the shape of the metal piece, pretty much completely cleanly took the skin off my nose right where it was. So then that healed up, I can't even tell where it was. I don't remember there even being any blood afterwards.

Another time I was using the sand disc wheel on a piece and my pinkie caught it, took my fingerprint off. So now, this.. my left pinkie... has a finger print. I guess it grows back, kinda weird [​IMG] I wonder if it has a different finger print now than it did before lol.

The guy who worked there before me busted out his teeth when using the hydraulic press in the back. I used the extremely powerful hydraulic press in the front numerous times. Big sucker it is. But my boss was wary of anyone young using the stuff so he didn't want me to use those very much and eventually stopped me from using them completely without saying anyhing about it. Hmm I know what happens when you break your teeth out, they have to put false ones in place. I already have one, and it is a BITCH to wait for the dentist to get off his/her ass and actually do anything about it so I pretty much avoid several activities now, like I wouldn't want to box, skate, etc...too worried about knocking my teeth out. I've been told that my teeth look perfect and also some say I look like a model. But I wouldn't want to jinx the looks by doing something crazy. Still waiting for a girl who actually looks decent to date me til this day, always get the less attractive ones [​IMG]

How careless of me, edit.. hope your eye heals up good. Sounds like everything should be fine. I burned my cornea by stupidly looking into one of those dealextreme keychain flashlight led's.. it took 2 days for it to heal completely, my eye sight is still fine.

13. JPH

Banned JPH Banned

United States
    My toenail got caught in the door at Burger King one time, when I was little.
    To top it off, last year, I missed a catch in baseball and it hit the same toe - and the toenail popped right up and got very loose.
    Though, it came off and completely regrew. It's a sick looking yellow-ish color now, and looks very disgusting...not as bad as my grandmas though! (boy, does my family have some nasty-ass feet)

And my brother threw a rock at my friends mouth one time, leaving it chipped off and bleeding (he looked like a true, red-neck Mississippian then!). The dentist got with him right away and replaced it - good as new, actually looked better.
    But, I've learned, that if you don't brush it normally, it tends to get a more artificial yellow than your real teeth are, if you haven't brushed in a while.
    You look like a model, amptor? Damn, you should be getting booty every night...sometimes people don't look at the real person, just the physical, but everyone is like that to some extent.

And I just noticed the little black bump on nintendofreak's eye.
    That must have not been one of the best sensations you've ever felt.
    Burning metal in your eye...*shudder*

14. iffy525

Member iffy525 not famous

United States
    no its more to the side of my eye, besides i think it looks better to the side than above it i guess
    EDIT: and also there isnt like a red scab mark there is just a big indent where it happened. people always ask me about it.

15. cubin'

Member cubin' GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    That sucks JPH [​IMG] I don't know what I'd do without my mum and I'm almost 21. I guess it wouldn't be so bad after a while but still pretty awful. You don't seem like an attention whore at all, very brave of you to share with us. Seems like you've dealt with it well considering how hard it would have been. Mucho respect!