Received Gateway after 8.x, Can Retail Cart Help Update?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by tura910, Aug 14, 2014.

1. tura910
    OP

tura910 Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 14, 2014
    United States
    I ordered my Gateway card before the update to 8.x, but it didn't show up in the mail until after the update. :wacko: So, I never got a chance to get it all set up properly. I just bought a retail Tomodachi Life to play in the mean time, but it wants me to update to 7.x before I can play. :unsure: Of course, I'm not going to ruin a perfectly good 4.5 system, but I'm going on vacation in 3 weeks and would love to have more than just Animal Crossing (retail) to play.

Anyway, here's my question. Is there any way I can use the update in Tomodachi to get my Gateway stuff set up? If so, can someone explain the process? Thank you!!! :wub:

2. ScarletCrystals

ScarletCrystals Useless Bunny of Paradise

Apr 9, 2010
    Canada
    Bamboo Forest, Gensokyo
    You can use gateway without emunand.
    Just run the exploit and enter gateway mode. Firmware spoofing will take care of the rest.
    Unfortunately, I don't believe you can play Tomodachi life on a 4.5 3ds due to the save encryption issue.

3. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    yep, no way to play tomodachi life, even if you had classic mode, you will just have to see if gateway release this update for 7.x encryption any time soon
    PS its not save encryption, its rom encryption :P

4. Relys

Relys Master of Computer Science

Jan 5, 2007
    United States
    Yeah, like the people above me said there is no way to play Tomodachi life right now. :(

Make sure you backup your NAND and install emunand. Then you should be able to play most other games (pretty much evertyhing except Tomadachi Life) using Gateway mode since it spoofs firmware.

5. asasdfsdfwrag32

asasdfsdfwrag32 Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 7, 2014
    Can I ask why you can't play Tomodachi Life with a Gateway?

6. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    NYC
    it uses the 7.X encryption keys, gateway says they already cracked it, we are just waiting for the update to be released now

7. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    the simple explination.....the game is encrypted in a way that gateway a non updated console cant read it, only a console that is properly updated (not using emunand) can decrypt the game

as joe88 said, gateway supposedly have a fix that is meant to be released "soon", but the last time gateway said something was coming "soon" it was about 6 months.......we will just have to sit tight and see what happens

8. asasdfsdfwrag32

asasdfsdfwrag32 Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 7, 2014
    Are there any other games that use an encryption that the gateway cant read?

9. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    not many, probably about 3-4 only other one i can think of is pokemon art acadamy, but any new games released will likely join that list

10. asasdfsdfwrag32

asasdfsdfwrag32 Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 7, 2014
    Damn. Pokemon Art Academny and Tamodochi Life is the two games that my sister wanted me to download lol. Oh well. Thanks for your help

11. DragonSky

DragonSky GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 27, 2010
    Belgium
    8.x titles. All 7.x must work.

12. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    nope, tomodachi life requires 7.1, but its still encrypted....basically most 7.x games play ok, but a few are encrypted....pretty much all 8.x will likely be using the new rom encryption though

13. asasdfsdfwrag32

asasdfsdfwrag32 Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 7, 2014
    hopefully gateway manages to release an update for this but knowing them thats going to take forever

14. adragon123

adragon123 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 29, 2014
    United States
    damn does this mean we cant play smash bros on release if they dont update gateway firmware?

15. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    nope....very very unlikely

16. Qtis

Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Feb 28, 2010
    The Forge
    Pretty much no high priority game will work from now on.. :(

17. adragon123

adragon123 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 29, 2014
    United States
    from now on 4ever or only until we get an update from gateway?

18. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    if gateway really do have 7.x encryption cracked....then just until they release the update....not trying to say they are lying, but they havent actually shown any 7.x encrypted games running yet....so we only have their word that they have it sorted, but they are "generally" good to their word

19. Technicmaster0

Technicmaster0 GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 22, 2011
    Gambia, The
    It's not like they denied until the very end that they have a bricking code.

20. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    i did say "generally"....i.e every feature they have promised so far they have delivered on.......lets try not turn it into a bitch fest, gateway have done a lot of good for the scene and all the other cards so far are solely reliant on gateways developments....nobody is forcing anyone to buy either card....love them or hate them, they are where the updates come from

PS to actually clear up the question asked in this thread, you can indeed update emunand using a retail cart(in a round about way)...tested it out myself and it worked perfectly, read the thread here
    http://gbatemp.net/threads/can-some-one-with-a-hardware-mod-confirm-whether-this-will-work.370118/

i understand that the OP didnt know it was pretty much un-needed, but there are a few benefits from having a emunand updated to 6.x+ such as local trading/battling working in pokemon, being able to use streetpass relay...and may some other stuff im unaware of, basically its not required, but if ou really want anyo of those features, there is a way to do it......it still wont make tomodachi life playable either though