Reason for recent flood of shovelware

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by deathfisaro, Nov 12, 2008.

Nov 12, 2008
  1. deathfisaro
    OP

Member deathfisaro Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan

Canada
    Conspiracy theory:

Some people actually bet a large sum of cash on scene releases hitting #3000 by the end of this year early this year, and started releasing every last shovelware out there just to build a safe foundation.

Considering we still have Christmas season game flood remaining, they over-released shovelware and we're at a point where it's a crime if rom releases don't hit #3000 by the end of this year.

Here's a thread I remember from half year ago, titled "Do you think ROM #3000 for the DS will reach us this year?"
    http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=82419

2. DeMoN

Member DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    I hope Chrono Trigger will be ROM 3000, that'd be epic.

3. Hop2089

Member Hop2089 Cute>Hot

United States
    This is the reason why a lot of US games turn me off and I import more. There are some US games that are of good quality that I like but most end up being shovelware or not appealing.

4. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    maybe it's just because nintendo are a money grabbing faceless fat cat cooperation and don't care about the quality of the games they released on their systems lol

5. Zerrix

Member Zerrix GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    I carried out to try out the Rom #3000!
    Shovelware, RPG, Racing etc. Doesn't matter which, it'll be a feast for me that nds-scene reached #3000 and more!

6. Kaos

Member Kaos Good show!

Australia
    I hope a good game gets #3000.

7. Ferrariman

Member Ferrariman Hip-Flop and cRap

Canada
    Money. That is the answer.

8. Dark

Member Dark GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Wouldn't it suck if it was rom #2999 or 3001?

9. xcalibur

Member xcalibur Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear

United Kingdom
    The same happened with FF:CC. We wanted it to be #1337 but it was 1336 instead.

10. UltraMagnus

Member UltraMagnus hic sunt dracones

United Kingdom
    heh, instead it was some crud Japanese game....

11. Forte Dante

Newcomer Forte Dante Member

Australia
    Recent? There's been shovelware galore ever since the DS was popular. Popularity = where the shovelware goes. Good thing there's quality to make up for it.

12. esoterica

Member esoterica GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Plus with all these people with flash carts, I'm sure Nintendo is just trying to get whatever money they can. If you think about it, it really sucks when a developer puts a ton of time into making a game, and when it comes out, not only does it suck and not do well in sales, but people download the games for free. I mean, that's not going to stop me from downloading games or anything, because in the end, very frequently, I'm really glad I didn't pay for some of those crappy ass games.

13. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    As I've said many a time, its not really them releasing the shovelware. They've got to have this open market otherwise publishers will get pissy and sue them or whatever.

Blame Ubisoft & others.

14. gizmo_gal

Member gizmo_gal QWEEN of the RadioActive Force!!!

United States
    Most people are just out to make a quick buck. I dont know why everyone is surprised by shovelware series continuity--the standards of entertainment have crash to sub atomic levels in the past nine years--just think about cartoons and music and movies--especially those made to target TWEENs.

Look at Nick? and Cartoon Network and DISNEY--of all people, I expected better from them!
    Ifthey can make millions off of the crap they've been producing then why shouldn't some people try and make money from crappy game series also?

Heck, if I knew how to make games you can bet I'd do everything possible to publish a few games and get some money, too.

Its annoying, but its not like its hurting us and besides--a lot of little girls actually like that crap. I was in the store a while back and this woman was buying her daughter a couple hundred bucks worth of barbie and bratz toys and they then went to the electronic section and the mother promised her kid a DS for X-mas and pointed out 7 or 8 "shovelware" titles, each one illicited a squeal of delight from the kid.

The grandma pointed out a Mario game and the mom said, "Nah, I dont know about that, its gotta be rated "E' Mom"

15. Hillsy_

Member Hillsy_ GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I agree, money and popularity. Look at how Guitar Hero has become popular. There are already several re-hashes, shovelware versions already released. I'm sure late this year to next year we will see an influx of even more. Shovelware is everywhere and is not just restricted to the DS. The Wii could also be included in this analogy.

16. hksmrchan

Member hksmrchan GBAtemp Regular

United States
    So everyone is spamming for 3k GET? What noobs. I hope a yu-gi-oh game gets it. Or Lucky star get.

17. quim69

Member quim69 GBAtemp Fan

Andorra
    Reason for recent flood of shovelware:
    It's that time of year. It happens every year - come september and the shat starts to get released. By november it's in full force, until the first ten days of december by which time it starts to die down again.

18. kjean

Member kjean GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Korea, South
    Here comes X-Mas. Lol.