Reason for recent flood of shovelware

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by deathfisaro, Nov 12, 2008.

1. deathfisaro
    OP

deathfisaro Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan

Mar 16, 2007
    Canada
    Vancouver, BC
    Conspiracy theory:

Some people actually bet a large sum of cash on scene releases hitting #3000 by the end of this year early this year, and started releasing every last shovelware out there just to build a safe foundation.

Considering we still have Christmas season game flood remaining, they over-released shovelware and we're at a point where it's a crime if rom releases don't hit #3000 by the end of this year.

Here's a thread I remember from half year ago, titled "Do you think ROM #3000 for the DS will reach us this year?"
    http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=82419

2. DeMoN

DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

May 12, 2004
    United States
    I hope Chrono Trigger will be ROM 3000, that'd be epic.

3. Hop2089

Hop2089 Cute>Hot

Jan 31, 2008
    United States
    This is the reason why a lot of US games turn me off and I import more. There are some US games that are of good quality that I like but most end up being shovelware or not appealing.

4. jalaneme

jalaneme Female Gamer

Nov 27, 2006
    London
    maybe it's just because nintendo are a money grabbing faceless fat cat cooperation and don't care about the quality of the games they released on their systems lol

5. Zerrix

Zerrix GBAtemp Maniac

Mar 11, 2008
    Gambia, The
    Earth
    I carried out to try out the Rom #3000!
    Shovelware, RPG, Racing etc. Doesn't matter which, it'll be a feast for me that nds-scene reached #3000 and more!

6. Kaos

Kaos Good show!

Nov 25, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    I hope a good game gets #3000.

7. Ferrariman

Ferrariman Hip-Flop and cRap

Dec 9, 2007
    Canada
    Canader.
    Money. That is the answer.

8. Dark

Dark GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 6, 2008
    United States
    Wouldn't it suck if it was rom #2999 or 3001?

9. xcalibur

xcalibur Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear

Jun 2, 2007
    Sacred Heart
    The same happened with FF:CC. We wanted it to be #1337 but it was 1336 instead.

10. UltraMagnus

UltraMagnus hic sunt dracones

Aug 2, 2007
    Portsmouth
    heh, instead it was some crud Japanese game....

11. Forte Dante

Forte Dante Member

Newcomer
    Nov 13, 2008
    Australia
    Recent? There's been shovelware galore ever since the DS was popular. Popularity = where the shovelware goes. Good thing there's quality to make up for it.

12. esoterica

esoterica GBAtemp Regular

Jan 17, 2008
    United States
    Atlanta
    Plus with all these people with flash carts, I'm sure Nintendo is just trying to get whatever money they can. If you think about it, it really sucks when a developer puts a ton of time into making a game, and when it comes out, not only does it suck and not do well in sales, but people download the games for free. I mean, that's not going to stop me from downloading games or anything, because in the end, very frequently, I'm really glad I didn't pay for some of those crappy ass games.

13. Hadrian

Hadrian Better than Craigslist

Former Staff
    Oct 12, 2004
    As I've said many a time, its not really them releasing the shovelware. They've got to have this open market otherwise publishers will get pissy and sue them or whatever.

Blame Ubisoft & others.

14. gizmo_gal

gizmo_gal QWEEN of the RadioActive Force!!!

Apr 10, 2008
    United States
    1st dimension, Earth
    Most people are just out to make a quick buck. I dont know why everyone is surprised by shovelware series continuity--the standards of entertainment have crash to sub atomic levels in the past nine years--just think about cartoons and music and movies--especially those made to target TWEENs.

Look at Nick? and Cartoon Network and DISNEY--of all people, I expected better from them!
    Ifthey can make millions off of the crap they've been producing then why shouldn't some people try and make money from crappy game series also?

Heck, if I knew how to make games you can bet I'd do everything possible to publish a few games and get some money, too.

Its annoying, but its not like its hurting us and besides--a lot of little girls actually like that crap. I was in the store a while back and this woman was buying her daughter a couple hundred bucks worth of barbie and bratz toys and they then went to the electronic section and the mother promised her kid a DS for X-mas and pointed out 7 or 8 "shovelware" titles, each one illicited a squeal of delight from the kid.

The grandma pointed out a Mario game and the mom said, "Nah, I dont know about that, its gotta be rated "E' Mom"

15. Hillsy_

Hillsy_ GBAtemp Regular

Dec 4, 2007
    I agree, money and popularity. Look at how Guitar Hero has become popular. There are already several re-hashes, shovelware versions already released. I'm sure late this year to next year we will see an influx of even more. Shovelware is everywhere and is not just restricted to the DS. The Wii could also be included in this analogy.

16. hksmrchan

hksmrchan GBAtemp Regular

Jul 15, 2008
    United States
    So everyone is spamming for 3k GET? What noobs. I hope a yu-gi-oh game gets it. Or Lucky star get.

17. quim69

quim69 GBAtemp Fan

Oct 26, 2008
    Netherlands Antilles
    Reason for recent flood of shovelware:
    It's that time of year. It happens every year - come september and the shat starts to get released. By november it's in full force, until the first ten days of december by which time it starts to die down again.

18. kjean

kjean GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 15, 2008
    where I'm from
    Here comes X-Mas. Lol.