OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
US Wii
Wiikey

Here is the situation, I installed the Wiikey today and proceeded to use the Wiikey setup dvd to add region free. Once I setup region free I selected restart console and I placed my Bleach game into the system. The system then told me that the media I entered was incompatible. Long story short, I had to patch Bleach with a NTSC-U patch for the system to recognize it. It reads Gamecube and ntsc wii games fine, but I had to patch bleach for it to play. This dosn't seem normal to me, why should I have to patch a NTSC-J game to NTSC-U if the wiikey supports region free. Only thing I can think of is that the chip m ust be installed wrong, but why would NTSC-U and gamecube games work perfect and not only load bleach!? /sigh Wiikey gurus help me out if you can, thank you so much for your time.

-Hana

Perplexer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tested my Wiikey with an unpatched Cooking Mama/NTSC-J, and it played fine. I'll be able to test Bleach within 12 hours and report back.

Are you sure that you saved the region-free setting to the chip before restarting? Maybe double-check that setting, save, and power down entirely before testing the NTSC-J disc again?

hanarecca

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got my wii the first day it came out so I have the old chipset, I have no idea what to do lol. I went back used both setup cd's, changed region free from no to yes and hit save settings then turned off machine and it still does nothing. I'm stuck here.

EDIT rechecked pads and everything is connected firmly, I dunno what to do.

xiguo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought I was the only one with this problem! I had to patch Cooking Mama (J) to get it to work. I ran the setup disk a bunch of times but the unpatched version still doesn't work. And yes, I did wait for it to save the settings. However, after I save, it still says "off" for the region-free option if I go back into the setup menu.

tama_mog

Kupo
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
it'll always say off when you get back to the setup menu, it's a switch that it changes. The default display setting is off when you start the configuration screen. Perhaps it's a bad install?

hanarecca

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dont think its a bad install considering that its working for all the other games but JP. The flashing of the chip takes 10 seconds and I only shut the system off once it changes back to the main screen.

tama_mog

Kupo
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I have a guess and like I said, it's just a guess. The wiikey has 6 wires to solder where as other 1st gen modchips had 5 on similar pts I believe.....perhaps that 6th wire has to do with the ability to update the wiikey itself? I don't know enough about it myself but if your wiikey isn't updating, then that's the only thing I can think of.....I'm sure it'll still boot backups fine just like the other 5 pt soldered chips.

Perplexer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe you have fakes?
Given that the Wiikey is pretty much accepted as being the best retail chip out now, it might make sense that we'd be seeing clones soon... I'm not so sure THIS soon, but it's a possibility.

Although I'd figure that if it's not saving your settings, then it shoudn't take 10 seconds to update (it would come back up right away...)
blink.gif

hanarecca

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I reopened my wii and i check all the pads, they are all solid and firmly attached to the board. Besides me and Xiguo, has anyone read anyone else experiancing this problem?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night