Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it actually that difficult to make titles for threads that aren't incredibly vague? I mean come the fuck on, we've got thousands upon thousands called "quick question" or "does it work" or simply "Help!".
Does anybody else find this annoying as hell? I'd like to be able to know what sort of issue you're looking for advice on without having to open the thread or hover over it to get the gist of the problem. Is this really asking too much?

Grr. GRR I SAY! With much teeth-gnashing and desk flipping.

D

Deleted-379826

Is it actually that difficult to make titles for threads that aren't incredibly vague? I mean come the fuck on, we've got thousands upon thousands called "quick question" or "does it work" or simply "Help!".
Does anybody else find this annoying as hell? I'd like to be able to know what sort of issue you're looking for advice on without having to open the thread or hover over it to get the gist of the problem. Is this really asking too much?

Grr. GRR I SAY! With much teeth-gnashing and desk flipping.
I'm a victim, but that's long gone you get used to it later with having quality and stuff

Touko White

(not)Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I hate that.
Things need to be descriptive in the title so people will actually support.

Also annoys me whenever something is vague.

D

Deleted User

Even better: vague titles in all caps
A9LH QUESTION
REGION CHANGING ISSUE
ESHOP ERRORCODE HELP

Reactions: Ricken

mashers

Stubborn ape
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok, what's worse: vague titles or misleading clickbait titles?

Examples:
"New homebrew hax for 11.0" -> actually asking when there will be one
"WiiU kernel exploit for 5.5.0" -> actually asking if it is possible
"Play DS games from 3DS home menu" -> actually asking how to do it (when it's not even possible currently)

These are improved tenfold by the first post on the thread consisting of less than one complete sentence. For example:

Title: "New homebrew hax for 11.0"

Title: "WiiU kernel exploit for 5.5.0"

Title: "Play DS games from 3DS home menu"

mashers

Stubborn ape
Trophies
XP
Country
Why isint this a rule already?
It's so tedious to do, ecesipsally for click bate
:mellow:.
I don't know why it isn't, but I also don't think it would make much difference. People who don't know how to write a proper title for their thread probably also don't read forum rules before posting.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
To answer the question of the title then apparently it is. Often if browsing the forums I will help some people out, though as I skip the 3ds section outside of ROM hacking I imagine it is probably worse there. For my threads I quite often spend time thinking about it and how to use the first few words to help convey things with maximum clarity.
I see it with emails as well where people omit the subject (even though many clients will ask before you press go).

Even better: vague titles in all caps
A9LH QUESTION
REGION CHANGING ISSUE
ESHOP ERRORCODE HELP

Shouting I can live with (deaf old coots like me need a bit of help occasionally) and if it is shouting somewhat relevant info then even better. Granted A9LH is a bit obscure for those not in the know, but then again those not in the know would not mind anyway. However if I see that and then see it is posted in a section for a given device I know roughly what the thread will entail.

Reactions: Deleted User

petethepug

PUG
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know why it isn't, but I also don't think it would make much difference. People who don't know how to write a proper title for their thread probably also don't read forum rules before posting.

Maybe to have easier understanding of the question, or to avoid people not clicking on the thread, and avoiding the question. But other than that there isint a lot to see or talk about on here.

Atleast we do not have all hacking threads with a title "HELP", asking for a question/concern. If that were the case I would mostly avoid that edge of the forum, due to confusion with topics.

mashers

Stubborn ape
Trophies
XP
Country
I see it with emails as well where people omit the subject
That's also really annoying. Though not as annoying as people who don't seem to be able to find the 'new message' button in whatever email client they are using, so just reply to an old email from you when they're emailing you about something COMPLETELY FUCKING UNRELATED to the email they replied to.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I can kind of live with that, mainly as most people do not seem to want to maintain proper address books and loads of people have emails unrelated to their names and whatever else. Though I do wonder why in some cases people do not press ctrl and A and then delete.

Sure it marks you down as being unprofessional and lazy but it fails to annoy me when it happens.

hobbledehoy899

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It's because they're upset with their browser.

Reactions: Deleted User

mashers

Stubborn ape
Trophies
XP
Country
I can kind of live with that, mainly as most people do not seem to want to maintain proper address books and loads of people have emails unrelated to their names and whatever else. Though I do wonder why in some cases people do not press ctrl and A and then delete.

Sure it marks you down as being unprofessional and lazy but it fails to annoy me when it happens.
In Mail for Mac, I can click on any email address in an existing email and then from a popup menu choose to send a new message to that recipient. I don't know if other clients provide the same functionality, but I expect they probably do.

Anyway, this is OT. Summary: people are annoying :P

Reactions: hobbledehoy899

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

eof

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: