Really confused

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Herr_Noobien, Apr 25, 2010.

Apr 25, 2010

Really confused by Herr_Noobien at 8:01 AM (922 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. Herr_Noobien
    OP

Newcomer Herr_Noobien Member

Australia
    I have an Wii with a serial number in the range of Lah10583000 - Lah10875000. According to this
    http://www.ozmodchips.com/wii-c-7.html
    I have a D2E in my Wii.

I havn't used my Wii in ages and in fact, I don't even remember updating it (I will check the FW version later).

Basically my question is Softmod vs Hardmod.
    The only obvious advantage that I know of is that softmoding is free and hardmoding is not [​IMG]

I won't be using USB loaders and I will only be using backed up DVD's. Which one would you say is best for me? I don't mind either one, but IT MUST PLAY MONSTER HUNTER TRI (I bought a Wii just for this) as flawlessly as possible [​IMG]

Sorry if this question is in the wrong place and has been done to death [​IMG]

Thanks!

2. mauifrog

Member mauifrog DA KINE WiiHacker

United States
    I can't think of one advantage to hardmod over softmod, with the exception of wode loading GC from usb. I would say softmod, it is simply excellent in my opinion. I have a wasabi dx chip, which I never use, except to test brick methods.

Another note, forget about loading dvds, they suck- their life span is short and they run slow. Use a usb loader, it reads faster than an unmodified wii dvd. It is so much better, even considering using dvds is on the verge on insanity.

3. Riicky

Member Riicky GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Softmod all the way. Free,Quick,Easy [​IMG] As far as disc or usb, I say usb loader,as opposed to using disc which read at half the normal rate. And for monster hunter tri, your going to wanna install Darkcorp [​IMG]

4. roku93

Member roku93 GBAtemp Fan

Finland
    The main difference is speed. Original Wii discs are read at 6x speed. Backups with a modchip are also read at 6x speed. However, with softmod backups are read at 3x speed. This will result in slower load times, stuttering videos etc.

I also think you should reconsider USB loading. That's even faster than 6x, and you don't have to swap discs all the time.

Though what I suggest the most is to buy the game if you think it's worth buying, piracy is wrong.

5. Herr_Noobien
    OP

Australia
    Would it be possible to buy a 1TB external hard drive and just keep it plugged into the Wii? Except when I need to store backups on it. Roku, don't worry, the backups will be legal. I only want to have a backup in case the disc gets destroyed by my younger siblings.

So, it seems like USB loading is the way to go?

EDIT: my Wii is at 3.4E

6. WiiPower

Member WiiPower GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    "As flawlessly as possible" --> USB Loading.

Modchip + disc = slow
    softmod + disc = super slow
    usb = acceptable

Monster Hunter Tri seems to be < 4GB, so you could even use a 4GB usb pen for this.

7. Herr_Noobien
    OP

Australia
    Just checked the USB compatibility list. My 1TB Western Digital HD is listed as working! USB loading it is then [​IMG] [​IMG]

Erm, I'm afraid I am a bit overwhelmed...

Correct me if I'm wrong
    first I need to update to 4.2 (downloading the files from simplisticmod right now)
    install Hackmii
    install HBC and Bootmii
    install bannerbomb
    enable the trucha bug (?)
    install Hermes cIOS's
    install uLoader
    format my external hard disk
    wait for Monster Hunter 3 to come out
    back it up
    PLAY!!!

EDIT: XZXERO's guide is a lifesaver!

8. atomikramp

Member atomikramp GBAtemp Regular

Italy
    bannerbomb is not something you install, it's an exploit used to run hackmii installer

so basically you need to run it just after updating to 4.2

- update
    - bannerbomb -> hackmii installer
    - install bootmii
    - BACKUP YOUR NAND!!! ( you want a clean nand backup before installing anything)
    - Install homebrew channel
    - all the rest.