Hardware Reality Check regarding hombrew/cfw/piracy.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think there's a general misinterpretaton about the term exploited. To any marketer, exploting the market in this instance means taking advantage of the early adopters for maximum profit (as they do for everyone). Some might call it good business. Of course I am aware that not everyone that buys early feels like they have been cheated or crucified.

Speaking for myself, I find version 1.0 hardwawre is rarely ever good. PS3, Xbox 360, 3DS, DS, Xbox One and PS4 were all pretty poor in comparison to what came a few years later. Of course not everyone can wait. Of course not everyone agrees.

Anyway, this topic is about the other kind of exploit. Which I think will happen sooner rather than later. But we'll see.
exploiting=taking advantage of. Companies use early adopters to leverage sales and establish an adoption rate that sets the tone for the life-cycle of their console. You could say they "exploit" people, but it's probably more accurate to say "leverage". exploit tends to have a lot of baggage when used, especially in colloquial conversations on a public forum where proper grammar isn't exactly the driving force. Doesn't have that much to do with what works for me as an individual, though. Gotta be able to separate the goals of the company and the goal of the individual.

Firmware 11.3 of the 3ds is so stable, especially compared to firmware 1.0, this is true. But you also pay a price for waiting for that stability. Imagine how much cheaper and developed it is for those individuals just now getting into the 3ds scene. I say that, but I usually wait a few years for games to release the "all dlc+patches for 1/4 the price" versions of games. Nintendo games don't really do that though, so I have no qualms about buying them new when they're released. Better price to not-waiting ratio.

I also tend to wait for hacks to be fully tested and reliable before I use them. I'm in no rush for the switch to be hacked. It probably won't interest me for a few years at the earliest.

Last edited by osaka35,

foob

Trophies
XP
Country
Firmware 11.3 of the 3ds is so stable, especially compared to firmware 1.0, this is true.
Or just look at the massive hardware differences between the release 3DS and the New 3DS. The recurring themes: sucky generation 1.0 hardware & exploited early adopters.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Or just look at the massive hardware differences between the release 3DS and the New 3DS. The recurring themes: sucky generation 1.0 hardware & exploited early adopters.
Glad I waited for the GBA SP to get released before I played that pokemon for the first time, specifically pokemon red. :P

Last edited by osaka35,

foob

Trophies
XP
Country
Glad I waited for the GBA SP to get released before I played that pokemon red game. :P
answering seriously: Sure, if you missed the numerous Game Boy revisions, the Game Boy Advance SP would have been a decent choice to play a Game Boy game. Back-lit model preferable to the front-lit model.

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I believe the only way is to inject malware with a updae on sd card with a legal signature, so our best bet is to wait for someone to leak the keys.

xile6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So maybe thoughts on how to hack it but most people dont even know how to hack lol...

But im sure the switch is take a while to hack. After all they are including auto updates. So until we can stop that there isnt a point in trying to hack.
It will be hack one day then the next it will be block.
True if you always stay offline then this wouldnt effect you, but then you cant play online or local muplti player (nintendo says the updates will be shared between systems)

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I never did think it would come soon, that's for sure but I think it will help if someone can get there hands on that official emulator ninty has for devs, I think it would help so those who who know what there doing can have an easier time viewing whats going on in the system at various points. I'm ready to wait anyway since it was 2 years and me seeing more and more of what homebrew can do for the 3ds that I wanted to mod it so lets go.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over