Hardware Reality Check regarding hombrew/cfw/piracy.

foob

Trophies
XP
Country
yeah were going to be exploited by playing zelda 1st... :wtf:
* version 1.0 hardware
* highest price tag
* lowest amount of available games (at the highest prices)
* lack of third-party accessories
* virtually no second-hand market

But if that doesn't bother you, feel free to enjoy (& ignore my lunacy).

Boured

A Dusk Lycanroc who cares a lot about people.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be honest when I get one I'll just use it until CFW or something comes out, I only use CFW for homebrew and emulators and not much else.

foob

Trophies
XP
Country
This is wrong already. Amazon, Best Buy and Gamestop already have a ton of 3rd party o'crap-ories available to pre_order!
As the console ages we'll see far more, priced far cheaper and far more non-licensed stuff (charging grips, ebay, etc.). Anyway, my intent was not to take this 'exploit' discussion in this direction. I still think the time taken to exploit the unit will be less than most people think. Just a gut feeling. For one, I think there will be a fair bit of interest in a far more advanced portable than Nintendo have traditionally given us. Just speaking from my personal experience, the 3DS looked dated to me the minute I unboxed it. But hey, we have it selling & we have a dead Vita with overpriced memory.

Anyway, we'll see what happens here. But I think the interest in hacking it will be far higher than the 3DS.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Don't you know that ARM means "Android Runs on Mobile"?

/s
yao-ming-pff.png

Reactions: chartube12

MeAndHax

Impolite person with some modding knowledge.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
A lot of people here, surprisingly believe that within a week after the Switch release they'll be running CFWs and pirating games left and right.

Just a quick reality check, this won't happen. Even if someone finds a miracle exploit within the first week, you will less likely see anything close to hombrew/cfw until 2018, because finding an exploit is not enough.

May I remind you that Nintendo 3DS was released in February 2011 and that the first exploit was found in early 2013 (Nintendo DS profile exploit), I remember there was so much hype about the exploit and the forums going crazy over it. Month after month I was checking these forums in hopes to see some news regarding backups, and nothing....until Gateway released the first ever PAID 3DS flashcart in August 2013 around 6-7 months after the exploit was discovered.

So it took 2.5 years since the release of the 3DS until the first tool that allowed to play roms appeared. And free CFWs appeared 2 years later(when the 9.2 exploit was released), so It took 4 years until the first FREE CFW.

I understand that Switch is not a 3DS, in fact Switch is nothing like any other console, but I'm 100% sure that the security is going to be much tighter even if it's unlike any other console, so I wouldn't hold your breath to see anything significant within the first couple of years.
I think its funny how nowadays they find an exploit everytime a new version comes out xD

Eastonator12

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A lot of people here, surprisingly believe that within a week after the Switch release they'll be running CFWs and pirating games left and right.

Just a quick reality check, this won't happen. Even if someone finds a miracle exploit within the first week, you will less likely see anything close to hombrew/cfw until 2018, because finding an exploit is not enough.

May I remind you that Nintendo 3DS was released in February 2011 and that the first exploit was found in early 2013 (Nintendo DS profile exploit), I remember there was so much hype about the exploit and the forums going crazy over it. Month after month I was checking these forums in hopes to see some news regarding backups, and nothing....until Gateway released the first ever PAID 3DS flashcart in August 2013 around 6-7 months after the exploit was discovered.

So it took 2.5 years since the release of the 3DS until the first tool that allowed to play roms appeared. And free CFWs appeared 2 years later(when the 9.2 exploit was released), so It took 4 years until the first FREE CFW.

I understand that Switch is not a 3DS, in fact Switch is nothing like any other console, but I'm 100% sure that the security is going to be much tighter even if it's unlike any other console, so I wouldn't hold your breath to see anything significant within the first couple of years.
If Nintendo's security is ANYTHING like the Xboner and ps4, it'll be a while before anything come out. Of course, it probably won't be as strong

Reactions: chartube12

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it's going to be a very long time before we see any Switch exploits. Nintendo just doesn't seem to be taking any chances, no browser, probably no mp3/music player, no initial support for any video streaming services, proprietary cartridges, I just don't know that there's going to be any place to inject an exploit, period. Not even a camera, so no chance of a QR code exploit like ninjhax.

Eastonator12

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it's going to be a very long time before we see any Switch exploits. Nintendo just doesn't seem to be taking any chances, no browser, probably no mp3/music player, no initial support for any video streaming services, proprietary cartridges, I just don't know that there's going to be any place to inject an exploit, period. Not even a camera, so no chance of a QR code exploit like ninjhax.
Well if there is Youtube or Twitch or anything like that in the future there could be a dnshax thing

Imacaredformy2ds

Smartass
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
lmao
You're not wrong but that's not 100% true either
I'll wait 3-5 years
Hopefully by then there's something and the console either flopped or Nintendo's moved on (again)

Last edited by Imacaredformy2ds,

xile6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I doubt there will be a hack for it anytime soon. Probably in the 2year range we might get basic hombrew.
Also it would probably come as a buffer overflow.
Nintendo has done alot of learning and are probably bump up everything.
It will probably take a hard mode in order to just fine some information. From there you still have to to be able to read and decode whats there. This all takes time and alot of thise changes with firmware updates.
So in other words. Dont go on thinking we will have a HAX day one or even playing backups before the end of the year.

It's not an Android based device...
THANK YOU.
Its nintendo own custom OS, same as ps4 and x1, they didnt take from windows, mac or android.

CLOUD9RED

Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Watching the game line up it would even be silly to even release a hack in the first two years... it's as if someone would shoot himself in the foot.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
* version 1.0 hardware
* highest price tag
* lowest amount of available games (at the highest prices)
* lack of third-party accessories
* virtually no second-hand market

But if that doesn't bother you, feel free to enjoy (& ignore my lunacy).
So basically any and all launches of video game systems? Early adopters are aware of the risk, but the rewards justify it for some. It's worth a few extra bucks to be able to use it now, as opposed to cheaper a few years down the road. Some people use 2-3 year old hardware to build computers for cheaper, some build the latest and greatest at a premium. It's just about what you're willing to pay.

I tend to buy used, but consoles [usually] don't really come down that much in price over the years (maybe 50-100 bucks after a few years), and that extra bit doesn't really make it worth it for me to wait. I don't have time to play but one game at a time, and zelda will consume my time for a good 3-4 months (I don't have a lot of time), which works fine for me. I have no need for third-party accessories at the moment, I have plenty of usb-c chargers and am never out and about long enough to worry about a 3-4hr battery life with zelda. So for me, early adoption makes the most sense.

foob

Trophies
XP
Country
Early adopters are aware of the risk, but the rewards justify it for some.

I think there's a general misinterpretaton about the term exploited. To any marketer, exploting the market in this instance means taking advantage of the early adopters for maximum profit (as they do for everyone). Some might call it good business. Of course I am aware that not everyone that buys early feels like they have been cheated or crucified.

Speaking for myself, I find version 1.0 hardware is rarely ever good. PS3, Xbox 360, 3DS, DS, Xbox One and PS4 were all pretty poor in comparison to what came a few years later. Of course not everyone can wait. Of course not everyone agrees.

Anyway, this topic is about the other kind of exploit. Which I think will happen sooner rather than later. But we'll see.

Last edited by foob,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: ONG.