Realiable UK Shop to buy Swap Magic From?

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by sekhu, Apr 23, 2009.

Apr 23, 2009
  1. sekhu
    OP

Member sekhu moo?

United Kingdom
    I've googled and found the swap magic homepage where they list lots of UK online stores that stock swap magic, however, a massive number of those sites are now link farms.

I'm looking fo ra reliable online store to buy swap magic from, I also need advice on what version of swap magic and magic keys I need. I found this site:

http://www.playstationdirect.com/catalog/i...php?cPath=21_27

Dunno how reliable it is, but they stock four variants of swap magic, and I don't know which one I need. I have a slim satin silver pstwo model number scph-75003 ss. It's a UK/PAL Machine

thanks in advance

2. xist

Member xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

United Kingdom
    Get this instead and install Free McBoot

3. sekhu
    OP

Member sekhu moo?

United Kingdom
    Hi,

Thanks for replying., Can you explain a bit more with regards to the item you linked to and Free McBoot. I'm not interested in cheating in games.

thanks

4. xist

United Kingdom
    That gives you access to the USB ports. From there you install a standard FMCB package which will be ready with ESR. Then you simply patch your game ISO's, burn them to disc and play...no swap needed. Yes compatibility isn't 100% (it's very good though!) but it's a far more elegant solution.

5. sekhu
    OP

Member sekhu moo?

United Kingdom
    hey xist, I'm really thinking about going for this AR MAx/McBoot option here. I've got that ebay item watching, it's already at 9.50, so I expect it will go up before i make my bid tomorrow.

In case can you tell me which item on the following site I should purchase:

http://uk.codejunkies.com/Departments/PS2.aspx

There's lots of variants of it, like the swap magic solution. There's Max Evo, Max Limited edition, and just MAX I think.

Also could you direct me towards a dummy's/idiot proof guide to setting all this up?

Thanks in advance

6. xist

United Kingdom
    Max Evo is what you want as that has USB support. Guides are here for setting up the FMCB installer and here for actually booting the Installer.

Read it through first, and if you feel intimidated (no reason why you should) consider getting a pre-made Memory Card instead of any of the above.

7. sekhu
    OP

Member sekhu moo?

United Kingdom
    will the 16mb max evo 24.99 version suffice? Also, I have an 8mb official memory card, will i need more than that, and will I be able to use the memory card as normal after the soft modding, without removing the softmod installer/software on the card?

Thanks

8. xist

United Kingdom
    Yes the cheaper Evo is fine...you'll only use it once after all.

And throw out all those larger 3rd party Memory cards. They have a tendency to corrupt at inopportune moments....the Official Sony 8Mb is ideal and what you want. Yes you can use the remaining space as normal for game saves....any additional apps or ROM's can later be placed on a USB drive and launched from there.

9. sekhu
    OP

Member sekhu moo?

United Kingdom
    Just another few questions. What order do I do all this. I'm still a bit confused. There's also a noobie guide for 1.8 which I can follow, and it has the basic installation.

So as far as I can tell it's:

1) do the noobie 1.8 guide
    2) do the action replay max evo guide
    3) patch games with esr
    4)boot game (how do I do this?)

Thanks

10. xist

United Kingdom
    Yes.

You boot the game using ESR, launched from the FMCB main menu. You'll understand better when you're actually doing it.

11. sekhu
    OP

Member sekhu moo?

United Kingdom
    well my max evo arrives tomorrow, i've bought another 8mb official MC as well just for this.

I'm getting a bit confused though.

On this page: http://bootleg.sksapps.com/tutorials/FMCBv...or_dummies.html it says:

This guide assumes you have a method to boot the installer already, if not read thru the How-to guides and return when ready to install FMCB.

So when I click on the how to guides, I get taken to this page: http://bootleg.sksapps.com/tutorials/fmcb/ where I can see the noobie guide and the "Tutorials on how to boot the Installer" guides. Now I know I need this guide: http://bootleg.sksapps.com/tutorials/fmcb/en_armax.htm for the action replay device. But, I'm getting confused as to what needs to be done first.

I can't do the noobie tutorial until I do the ar evo guide, so do I do the ar evo guide first, before I can do the noobie guide?

12. xist

United Kingdom
    You can prepare the Install folder with the apps and files you want.

13. sekhu
    OP

Member sekhu moo?

United Kingdom
    Yeah I understand that bit, but which task/guide do i complete first is what has me confused.

EDIT: My Max Evo arrived this morning, however, the disc does NOT include max media player anymore. What are my options?

thanks

14. godsakes

Member godsakes GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    you and i are in a similar boat - we need to use the PS1 Exploit hack on this guide http://bootleg.sksapps.com/tutorials/fmcb/...loit_armax.html

it's a similar thing, all you need extra is a (genuine) PS1 game, basically you make a hacked PS1 save, transfer it to the PS2 memory card via the AR USB stick/software and then run the PS1 game and it should being the FMCB installation

trouble for me is i've got a Action replay Max (non evo) and it's doesn't seem to like my pen drive (there's dispute as to whether the regular MAX eidtion supports USB drives). If your copy works would you consider lending or selling it on to me?

(PS it doesn't work for the Slims)

15. xist

United Kingdom
    Try the following:-

Get this renamed Ulaunch elf disc image (yes it's an old version but that's irrelevant for this process) and burn the image to a CD.
    Load AR Max Evo as normal. Then once loaded remove your AR Max Evo disc and replace it with the disc you just burnt. Select Max Memory from the menu and press X. In theory It should now load uLaunchELF instead of Max Memory.

16. sekhu
    OP

Member sekhu moo?

United Kingdom
    Hi Xist,

can the image be burnt to a DVD, I have no cds.

Also I don't think there's a max memory option in the menu. But I'll check to make sure.

What do I do if I can launch the uLAunch.ELF?

@godsakes: I'm going to return the AR Max via an RMA and get a refund

17. xist

United Kingdom
    You know what...i have little idea whether a DVD would work, although i'm dubious due to all sorts of reasons such as file positions and the AR Max interface itself.

If and when you run ULE you can then run the FMCB installer from a USB drive.

18. sekhu
    OP

Member sekhu moo?

United Kingdom
    right i'm gonna give up on this seems a lot of trouble, so i'll hopefully get someone else to make a freemcboot memory card. if not i'll probably grab swap magic

thanks for the help

EDIT: Just an edit to say that I tried burniong the cd image to a dvd and it didn't work, imgburn said it was a mode2 image and the dvd would burn as a mode1 or something, and it didn't work.

19. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    it's a complete waste of time using that mc boot thingy, just buy swap magic and you are done with it, good website here: http://www.magicswitch.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index

20. sekhu
    OP

Member sekhu moo?

United Kingdom
    @jalaneme thanks for the link

@xist: I'm getting someone to install mcboot to a spare official 8mb memory card.

Once I get it back, what are the steps to get a back up working with mcboot. For example, I have ESR beta r9b which are all elf files.

I also have ESR disc patcher GUI v0.24a which contains an exe file. Now does the GUI contain the latest esr, or do I Need a different release for the latest?

Using the gui seems simple enough to patch a game, but with the elf files, I don't understand how those could be used to patch the dvd.

thanks