Real Money Trade: Interview and Community Q&A

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Ryukouki, Apr 8, 2014.

1. Ryukouki
    OP

Ryukouki See you later, guys.

Jan 31, 2008
    United States
    THE GBATEMP INTERVIEW WITH PLAYER AUCTIONS
    [​IMG]
    What an interesting and rare turn of events! I had written an article a few days back about the real money trade problem that exists in MMOs and discussed the impact it had on the virtual economy. Earlier tonight, I was approached by a gentleman from PlayerAuctions, a site that actually deals in real money trading services, providing a means for players to purchase and sell currency and other intangible goods. We both agreed to do a cordial and impromptu interview about the real money trade, and the discussion that transpired between us is after the jump, so hit that "Continue reading" button!​
    I am pleased to announce that Jake (who goes by PlayerAuctions here), the contact I was in touch with, is also the Managing Director of Player Auctions, and he has agreed to host an interview of sorts with the GBAtemp community, and he has agreed to answer almost anything you ask! So fire away! If you have questions about the interview I conducted, and the answers provided, feel free to ask as well!​

Gahars, Black-Ice and PlayerAuctions like this.
  2. Vengenceonu

Vengenceonu Revenge is beneath me but accidents do happen.

Jun 20, 2013
    United States
    The C Standard Library
    Their prices fluctuate too much for my taste but i've heard some good reviews from ppl i know.

3. Pedeadstrian

Pedeadstrian GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.

Oct 12, 2012
    United States
    Sandy Eggo
    I can't tell you how many times my family said something along the lines of "Have you heard that people make money playing video games? Seeing as how you don't do anything else, why don't you do that?" Banning is usually the reason why. I've never bought or sold any items or currencies in online video games (although I've definitely been tempted before). I have, however, traded currency in a game called Vindictus to someone for their Guild Wars 2 account. That'd also be a bannable offense, but everything worked out great. Funny thing is, I hacked Vindictus in order to easily get the money, so... iuno where that puts me.

4. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    A guest comes over before we even had a chance to clean up. Now I feel all sorts of embarrassed.

zachtheninja and Costello like this.
  5. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    all gold sellers are scum they can justify themselves all they want in the end their still scum. it's people like this and mallers that ruin MMO's and the reason i don't even want to play another one ever again!

DSAndi likes this.
  6. calmwaters

calmwaters Cat's best friend

May 27, 2013
    United States
    happy land
    This is a great interview, Ryukouki; I.. I... love it. But I don't care much about what they represent. I'm used to grinding in my games to earn massive amounts of cash; don't need to trade; I'm not that greedy; ;) I mean, I collected over 6 million gold points in Final Fantasy III without cheating; I definitely don't need to trade with some sicko over the internet.
    Good. Maybe you'll be a little quicker on your feet next time this happens. :)

7. Ryukouki
    OP

Ryukouki See you later, guys.

Jan 31, 2008
    United States
    For me this interview was a really great opportunity to talk to a group of individuals that have experience in a gray matter issue, and learn their justification as to why this works for them. Personally, I don't condone these activities, as I take more pride in actually doing the job myself no matter how long it takes, but I did get from them that in comparison to other sites that deal with trading currency, this one actually protects the customer and gives more security to both buyer and seller in the case of discrepancy. It's a moral decision if you want to participate, but other than that, the interview showed me that interviewing others would be something I would love to work towards.

Skelletonike likes this.
  8. Cortador

Cortador GBAtemp Fan

Nov 27, 2008
    United States
    I've sold my swtor account there and everything went pretty smoothly. All in all, I liked the security I was given.

PlayerAuctions likes this.
  9. DaggerV

DaggerV Archmagi of the Emerald Moon

Dec 3, 2009
    United States
    Nice, i need some more wow gold.

10. liamash3

liamash3 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 6, 2008
    Frankston
    It was an interesting interview. I don't tend to play MMO's much due to bandwidth issues + lack of interest (most seem grind-based...not my thing), but the interview was a nice view into the market.

PlayerAuctions likes this.
  11. PlayerAuctions

PlayerAuctions Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 8, 2014
    United States

Your comment doesn't really say anything intelligent. :P And I have to disagree whole heartedly that "gold sellers" are scum. because the fact of the matter is... they aren't. We haven't posted it yet, but I had finished an interview with one of our "gold sellers" a few weeks ago. A delightful young gentleman from a beautiful seaside town from Eastern Europe (Estonia if I remember correctly). He started selling his own surplus gold as a hobby, until he realized what a demand there was for it.

So much so, that he now supports himself and his mother by doing this, all by hand, with not bots, and no spamming of in-game channels. Because of the hard work he puts into this, he is able to earn more than his country's minimum wage all while saving up to pay for his college degree.

This is one of the main points of PlayerAuctions. To support honest game trades like this between players. Supporting player to player trade takes business away from those mega-gold selling sites that use bots, hack accounts, and flood our chat channels with in-game spam.

Let's face it, RMT will exist, because there is a demand for it. It is inevitable, unless game developers start creating games with no in game economies. And unless we all want our games to turn casual, I doubt any of us would really want that. Therefore, why not support the demand with something legitimate and safe?

Not sure why trading with someone automatically makes them a sicko, and if you read my post closely, most of the purchases that take place on our website aren't for greed, but for people who are not rich in time as a resource to keep up with their gameplay. 46% of people who purchase on our platform are older than 35. A random review of our users are doctors, police officers, university professors, homemakers, grad students, you name it. And because our platform is so safe, I'd venture to say that these individuals are actually very decent people who are delightful to play with in-game. Not sickos :grog:

12. PlayerAuctions

PlayerAuctions Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 8, 2014
    United States
    Another user on the site in a different thread said these three basic points:

1) "If you have no time to play a time consuming game, then dont play it if u have doubts you cant compete. What gives u the right to ruin that game for other people by supporting RMT or bot use ?"

2) "People that do it are just cheaters and thouse are not players because they cant play without cheats."

3) "If i take that infamous Lineage2 RMT and Bots destroyed it as long with the last updates."

Here is my reply, and food for thought for everyone :)

13. calmwaters

calmwaters Cat's best friend

May 27, 2013
    United States
    happy land
    I think I meant it as a figure of speech. Maybe I should've just stayed with, "I'm not into this sort of thing." I do think the idea is cool though, and can see how many people have fun with it. And that's an impressive collection of people; I suppose it makes sense since the security is so good. :)

14. Dr1941

Dr1941 Newbie

Banned
    Dec 11, 2013
    United States
    This "interview" is nothing more than an FAQ that could be placed on the site.

Outside of that, the literal owner of the site is not only calling people unintelligent for their critique of business practices, but is replying to every response he feels like with passive aggressive tones. Why does GBATemp not have an editor for these things?

15. Costello

Costello Headmaster

Administrator
    Oct 24, 2002
    Jake is as free to express himself on our forums as you are (and speaking of passive aggressive tone, ...)
    this is a non-professional web community, not a serious press magazine :)

also don't change his words - Jake's comment was about Bladexsdl's post, not targeted at Bladexsdl himself, as far as I can tell. Blade does post a lot of idiotic shit on our forums but I wouldn't say he's an idiot. See I often do and post stupid things myself every now and then, but I don't think that makes me a universal idiot. Heck you sound like my wife, whenever I tell her "don't say that, that's stupid" she immediately reacts- "OMG did you just call me stupid". That is NOT what I said! :P

16. PlayerAuctions

PlayerAuctions Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 8, 2014
    United States

Got it, no sweat. Here, let's have a drink. :grog:

I've been accused of many things, and passive aggressiveness is definitely one of them. But that is usually on not a lot of sleep and after skipping lunch, for which... I think I've been well rested, and well fed while posting here at GBATemp. :rolleyes:

If anything, I'd be okay with pegging my tone at assertive, more than passive aggressive. ;)

Generally however, a very polite community I must say.

17. p1ngpong

p1ngpong Unamused frog

Former Staff
    Apr 18, 2008
    Croatia
    DS Scene
    Pay no attention to Dr1941, he is a kthnxshwn dupe. A guy that got banned years ago for being an ass licking little troll and who continues to plague the forum to this very day. He made a whole new account just to troll Ruy's articles, the man obviously has a tiny dick and nothing better to do right? Anyway banned.

DaggerV and BortzANATOR like this.
  18. IBNobody

IBNobody I try to keep myself amused.

Nov 16, 2006
    United States
    Texas, Hang 'Em High
    The initial interview portrayed the service as a "consumer to consumer" or "player to player trading". PlayerAuctions claimed that there were a few "professional" service providers as well.

I pulled up FFXIV:ARR on your website, which is currently one of the hotter games out now. I didn't see any "consumer to consumer" trading going on, and the same 5-6 sellers were selling in-game currency on EVERY SINGLE server. Seriously? How can you claim to be "consumer to consumer" when you encourage "professionals" (gilsellers)?

19. Skelletonike

Skelletonike ♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀

Dec 26, 2008
    Steam City
    I've never been a fan of these things since it can lead to unfair advantage when starting a game, I've been playing mmo's for around a decade now and never really liked it when someone suddenly had an item that they didn't even know how to craft or didn't bother to do all the quests that would unlock said item.
    Usually, I keep myself from joining guilds in games nowadays precisely because a lot of guilds exploit the way the game works and make things too easy, the same goes with the game money/item selling/buying thing. Then again, I hate it easy stuff and the harder it is to get an item, the more I will want that item. I'd rather just leave a game and never play it again than to sell the account or the stuff on it to someone else, since my pride wouldn't allow it. x'D

DSAndi likes this.
  20. DSAndi

DSAndi GBAtemp Regular

Jul 18, 2008
    Gambia, The
    Could not have it said better, its excact what i feel. But it seems a lot ppl think different, use and also promote RMT on this site.

Good to know, i did expect nothing other tbh.