Homebrew Ready to use an HDD with my Wii for the first time, where to begin...

David80008

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finally ready to use a HDD with my Wii. I have a choice here, can use a WD or Maxtor, both are 1TB. Probably going with the Maxtor as it's currently empty. Unless there's any sort of compatibility issues I don't know about?

Planning to use my HDD to store Wii games, Gamecube games and all my other ROMs. Preferably I'd rather just use 1 partition unless for some reason It's highly discouraged. I guess this means FAT32? So where do i start?

Both HDD's are in FAT32 anyway, got the configurable USB loader already. I'm assuming I need Dios Mios right? How do I install it?

How should my folder structure look if I'm using the HDD for all my games?

Regarding Wii games, I know FAT32 files can't exceed 4GB which obviously means most Wii games so what do I use to split them either from ISO files of from my own rips should I rip my own games?

Any advice would be much appreciated :-)

obcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Check your harddisk to be sure it has a 32KB cluster size.
Start with one thing at a time. If you are satisfied with it, move on to the next.
For wii, the recommended format of a game is a wbfs file. It's different from a wbfs partition. Make sure you understand the differences.
Most programs like Wii Game Manager who are capable of converting wii iso's into wbfs files have an option to split as well.
Most games in wbfs won't need it.
Get the modmii for windows programs. Besides for softmodding your wii, it's also helpfull to download and install cios and usb loaders.

Supercard DSTWO

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Welcome to the GBATemp Fourms!

The First thing I noticed, is you plan on using a 1TB HDD for your Wii. You need to make sure that is compatible with Wii, because 1TB seems like somthing wii cannot handle. IF it can, be sure you know how to rip games. Its not an easy proccess. Finaly dont update your wii. If it is Version 4.3 or higher, it wont support Rom dumping. I know this doesn't really answer your Question, but it is somthing good to follow. For More info, use your favorite search engine and search "lifehacker how to back up wii games to an external hd"

Have Fun!!!

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Welcome to the GBATemp Fourms!

The First thing I noticed, is you plan on using a 1TB HDD for your Wii. You need to make sure that is compatible with Wii, because 1TB seems like somthing wii cannot handle.

The Wii can handle 1TB+ drives just fine.

IF it can, be sure you know how to rip games. Its not an easy proccess.

Um, yes it is, just run CleanRip 1.0.5. You just press A three times, insert a disk, and it dumps to your USB or SD.

Finaly dont update your wii. If it is Version 4.3 or higher, it wont support Rom dumping. I know this doesn't really answer your Question, but it is somthing good to follow. For More info, use your favorite search engine and search -snip-

Not updating your Wii is fine, but you can dump "roms"(i.e. Wii/GC game ISOs) just fine on 4.3. I've been doing it quite a lot recently using CleanRip.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: But I bet that would be more for a flashcart than a consumer repro board.