QueenKong

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi !
As many of you guys do, I use my PS3 as a media center. However, I also have a huge collection of HD-DVDs that I'd like to keep. As it is just an external accessory that is also Windows compatible, I'd like to know if it would be possible to create a homebrew that would allow to read HDDVDs with a PS3 ?

Thanks ! ;-)

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
1. copy HD-DVD to PC
2. Convert HD-DVD to MP4
3. Put MP4 on external storage device
4. Plug external storage device into PS3
5. Play MP4 and enjoy :-)

That's some horrible advice you've given him, unless you meant it to be uncompressed which I'm not sure it'd be.

Now, QueenKong, you can't really watch HD-DVDs on PlayStation 3 but if you rip them to your PC's HDD it'll work, you could try MakeMKV which is compatible with DVD and Blu-ray so it may work.

Reactions: Leshmutt

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The first and most glaring issue is that the DRM engines for BluRay and HD-DVD are different enough that trying to handle that real-time might be enough to make it not possible. Heck, I'm surprised that Microsoft cracked it so that it could be decoded over a USB cable in the first place.

I suppose with the master key, someone could try to make a homebrew to do it, but they'd also have to code a working driver.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: lol, Okies. Family graveyard is that way 👉