Reading HD-DVDs with the Xbox external HDDVD player... with a PS3

Discussion in 'PS3 - Hacking & Homebrew' started by QueenKong, May 20, 2014.

1. QueenKong
    OP

QueenKong Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 25, 2010
    France
    Hi !
    As many of you guys do, I use my PS3 as a media center. However, I also have a huge collection of HD-DVDs that I'd like to keep. As it is just an external accessory that is also Windows compatible, I'd like to know if it would be possible to create a homebrew that would allow to read HDDVDs with a PS3 ?

Thanks ! ;-)

2. julialy

julialy Homebrewer

Nov 26, 2012
    United States
    United States
    1. copy HD-DVD to PC
    2. Convert HD-DVD to MP4
    3. Put MP4 on external storage device
    4. Plug external storage device into PS3
    5. Play MP4 and enjoy :-)

3. WiiCube_2013

WiiCube_2013 GBAtemp Guru

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    That's some horrible advice you've given him, unless you meant it to be uncompressed which I'm not sure it'd be.

Now, QueenKong, you can't really watch HD-DVDs on PlayStation 3 but if you rip them to your PC's HDD it'll work, you could try MakeMKV which is compatible with DVD and Blu-ray so it may work.

Leshmutt likes this.
  4. codezer0

codezer0 Gaming keeps me sane

Jul 14, 2009
    United States
    The Magic School Bus
    The first and most glaring issue is that the DRM engines for BluRay and HD-DVD are different enough that trying to handle that real-time might be enough to make it not possible. Heck, I'm surprised that Microsoft cracked it so that it could be decoded over a USB cable in the first place.

I suppose with the master key, someone could try to make a homebrew to do it, but they'd also have to code a working driver.