Reader / microSD problems...

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by GeekyGuy, Jun 25, 2007.

Jun 25, 2007
  1. GeekyGuy
    OP

Global Moderator GeekyGuy Professional loafer

United States
    Well, I was excited when the DHL delivery guy showed up at my door a day earlier than scheduled, and sure enough my CycloDS EVO card and Kingston 1GB microSD arrived. But...right out of the starting gate I had problems. I figured I would begin by attempting to transfer over the 1.13 firmware update, the latest Moonshell and perhaps a few media items. However, my computer locked up as soon as I inserted the reader (with the microSD placed inside). Well, it actually wasn't immediately after that...

What happened was, my computer detected the new hardware, and asked me to restart. Upon restarting, my desktop screen appeared, but, after waiting a good 10 minutes, nothing else loaded. I tried restarting several times and then just restarted once without the reader inserted into the computer, and viola' -- it restarted. So, once my computer was restarted, I tried re-inserting the reader (again with the microSD inside the reader) and the computer locked up. So, I unplugged the reader, and my computer was back to normal. Then I plugged the reader back in, but this time without the microSD inside the reader, and it worked okay. My computer now recognized it as drive F:. I then right-clicked on the drive to view its properties and it asked me to insert a disk. So, I put the microSD into the reader (while the reader was still in the computer) and the computer locked up again.

Sorry, I am a total noob. I've never even used a flash device, card reader, etc. (that I'm aware of). But if anyone can perhaps help me get started with this process, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

P.S. -- Just so there's no misunderstanding, I am inserting the microSD according the picture shown on the reader.

2. Shelleeson

Member Shelleeson GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    have a look at the micro sd to see if there is what looks like a line along it anywhere that you know doesn't look right. the way to tell if there is a crack/bend in the card is when you put it in the card reader if it goes super hot and you can feel how abnormally hot it is. [​IMG]
    some cards are sent out like this they aren't spotted by the manufacturer and it's the only time that my computer has played up with the micro sd (i've had 2 broken by my son and one faulty one that was cracked/bent before i'd even let my son near it )

3. GeekyGuy
    OP

United States
    Hmm...no hairline cracks that I can determine, and it doesn't seem to be hot at all.

4. cheapassdave

Member cheapassdave GBAtemp Regular

United States
    try to get a different reader. when i first got my r4 i used theirs and my computer just froze for no reason and had to restart. ive never used that reader again. worked fine with other readers

5. Shelleeson

Member Shelleeson GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    the crack will be barely visable it will look more like a line and if it's not heating up then it's pretty unlikely that this is the issue anyway.
    oh well it rules that out. [​IMG]

6. iwakura

Member iwakura HHNNNNNNGGGG

United States
    What OS are you using? XP shouldn't require restting after installing a flash drive.

edit: this has nothing with you being a noob though, you're microSD, Reader, or USB slot is probably messed. I'd borow a microSD card and a reader from a friend, and try different assortments to see which one is broken. or try a different USB slot.

7. GeekyGuy
    OP

United States
    Well, I figured out the problem with some help from the friendly folks over on the CycloDS forum. I just thought I'd let y`all know my status.

I use a Nintendo WiFi adapter to do my online gaming with the DS, and someone suggested shutting the software and unplugging the adapter. Sure enough, that solved the problem. I am happy (and relieved) to report that I'm up and running.

Thanks for the replies, guys.