Read this before Donating to Japan's Relief

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Hop2089, Mar 14, 2011.

Mar 14, 2011
  1. Hop2089
    OP

Member Hop2089 Cute>Hot

United States
  2. alkahest

Member alkahest GBAtemp Regular

United States
    lol trying to convert a whole country

3. _Chaz_

Member _Chaz_ GBAtemp's Official Mook™

United States
    I wasn't reading that article, but I was also not going to donate either.

4. GeekyGuy

Global Moderator GeekyGuy Professional loafer

United States
    Though I somewhat agree with the sentiment of the article, the writer offers no conclusive reasoning why people shouldn't donate to the American Red Cross. And since when does being a Christian mean only helping those you think you will convert? If that was truly the nature of Christianity, I don't think Jesus would want any part of it.

5. monkat

Banned monkat I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.

United States
    Way to misinterperate the entire article based on the last paragraph.

The article is saying that Japan has it's own legs to stand on, unlike Haiti, or some of the other recent disasters.

I mean, if California went through a bad earthquake, would you expect Japan, Britain, France, Russia, and China to come rushing to their aid?

6. Law

Member Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

United Kingdom
    probably, depending on the severity.

7. KingdomBlade

Member KingdomBlade Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)

Philippines
    Another thing:

The total number of damages equals to $180 BILLION, but in order to fully recover, that only costs approximately 3% of their total funds. Japan does, however, require more assistance in terms of HUMANITARIAN needs. They need more rescue and specialized troops instead of donations. Even more substantial losses can come to HUMANITY in Japan can come once (although very unlikely) a nuclear meltdown happens.

8. GeekyGuy

Global Moderator GeekyGuy Professional loafer

United States
    Come again? I'm going to embolden a sentence for you. Please re-read my reply and try again.

Like I said, I somewhat agree with the article. However, the writer's point is poorly made. I didn't misinterpret anything, and you shouldn't assume anything about me or what I think. I have an opinion about the article; I stated that. That is all.

9. CCNaru

Member CCNaru Warn-free Since 2005

United States
    I thought Japan converted to Shintoism (not sure what the correct word is here) from Buddhism long time ago.

10. epicCreations.or

Member epicCreations.or GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I thought it has always been a freaky mix of the two, or at least majorly Shinto. Then again, I wasn't really paying attention when we watched the video in Japanese class.

EDIT: I can't view the article but the URL makes me LOL. "What We Can Do Now: That's /b/" is what I take from it [​IMG]

11. mcp2

Member mcp2 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    To be honest, Japan is a proud country. They are resilient facing adversity and are very efficient. They don't need our help. They haven't asked for donations, so I won't be giving. There are other countries that, despite the terrible events in Japan, need the money more. Not even DEC is collecting for Japan. I am in awe of the calmness of the Japanese, they just get it done. *claps*

12. Dylan

Member Dylan 100 MILES AND RUNNIN'

Australia
    I also thought they were officially Shinto

13. KingdomBlade

Member KingdomBlade Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)

Philippines
    They are a secular state, so they allow religious freedom to all people. However, according to Wikipedia and a few other sites, areound 70-80% don't believe in God or are atheist, however, some of those are still oficially Shintoist or Buddhist by birth.

Those that do have religious faith can range from the two largest, Shintoist and Buddhist, and smaller religions, such as Islam, Christianity, Hinduism and Judaism.

Most weddings are done in a classic style (i.e. like Christians) and they celebrate Obon (Buddhist), Christmas (just barely Christian), and Tanabata (traditional Japanese).

14. NoSmokingBandit

Member NoSmokingBandit GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I think when it comes to donations people are remembering just how awful Haiti was not too long ago. But people have to keep in mind that Japan is not a 3rd world country, they are perfectly capable of taking care of themselves. If Japan needs our help i'm certain they will ask for it, until then i'd suggest donating to a country that can't handle things on their own, like Haiti.

15. CarbonX13

Member CarbonX13 GBAtemp 台灣人

Taiwan
    Most Japanese aren't very religious, though they due partake in a mix of Shinto and Zen Buddhist events. Sort of like the Chinese, in which many practice Confucianism, Buddhism, and Taoism together. While many people aren't really "hardcore religious", they still do believe in Gods and such, and will offer prayers and incense on special occasions.

16. Ema-tan

Newcomer Ema-tan Newbie

Finland
    That's about what I would've said. I don't think that the japanese people even view their ways as a religion. They do go to temples and honour their ancestors or the multiple gods they have, but there is not just "one" whole religion for them. They take bits from everything, likely anything that could be of use and so on.
    And I think that they do not do most of their "religious" things, because they think it is required, but because it is a custom that's been passed down. (The Japanese do like to be traditional occasionally =D)

When asked, many Japanese people would say that they are atheist, because it would be too complicated to explain their views on the whole thing^^