Gaming read speed of the UMD drive on the PSP3000

RedBaron

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I have googled for information on the UMD drive on the PSP3000 but could not find any information on the read speed, does anybody know?

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
I thought you'd given up on the PSP?

Anyway why do you need this info?

RedBaron

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
xist said:
I thought you'd given up on the PSP?

Anyway why do you need this info?
About a week ago I bought a new PSP 3002 Radiant Red and I bought over the week a number of SONY 16GB Memory Sticks from different places, one after the other they all were not recognised as genuine SONY 16GB Memory Sticks so I took them back to where I bought them and accused them of selling fakes then other strange things started to occur on my NEW PSP to the point I took it back and got a replacement (Good on you Harvey Norman) it turns out the PSP was faulty and the memory Sticks were Genuine
How Embarrassing
Any way when you are running UMD Games the PSP accesses the UMD as you play the game because it can't put all the game into its memory 64MB so if you run it of a memory card it will have to access the memory card to play the game so if the memory card speed is slower than the UMD it will cause it to be slow in some areas of the game but if it is a bit faster no delay but if it is a lot faster it would be a wast
[sick]

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
MS access is faster than a UMD, do you even need to ask....but that last bit, what's a waste?

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
If the PSP can read the Memory Stick faster than it would the UMD drive then the game will load more quickly. It will not read at the same speed as the UMD drive.

RedBaron

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
xist said:
MS access is faster than a UMD, do you even need to ask....but that last bit, what's a waste?
From what I have found the UMD in the PSP 300 has been suggested it is a two speed or about 3MB/S what is about the speed of a pro duo http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=265...45&start=45 so you would need a pro duo Mark2 and anything above that is a waste, you have a very fast memory stick what is the gain

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
Advantages of using a memory card over UMD

- Faster loading times
- The PSP doesn't sound like a dreamcast when reading data

WHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIRRRRRRRRRRRRR-CHK-CHK-CHK-WHIRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
RedBaron said:
xist said:
From what I have found the UMD in the PSP 300 has been suggested it is a two speed or about 3MB/S what is about the speed of a pro duo http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=265...45&start=45 so you would need a pro duo Mark2 and anything above that is a waste, you have a very fast memory stick what is the gain
it will read faster than the UMD drive ever could and therefore load faster

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
You know RB....i can't think of one question you've asked lately that i'd say was backed by any logic.

Solid state MS loading will always* be faster than optical read speeds.
Genuine sticks don't come from Hong Kong and you should avoid bargains.
The PSP is an easy system to mod and doesn't really give people much grief.

RedBaron

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
xist said:
You know RB....i can't think of one question you've asked lately that i'd say was backed by any logic.

Solid state MS loading will always* be faster than optical read speeds.
Genuine sticks don't come from Hong Kong and you should avoid bargains.
The PSP is an easy system to mod and doesn't really give people much grief.
I know it does not make much sense but you don't have the complete picture, one question, if you had a choice of a Genuine SONY 32GB pro duo Mark2 and a Genuine SONY 16GB pro HG duo HX which one would you choose and why

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Personally i'd not opt for either and go for a Sandisk 8Gb Ultra II.

If i HAD TO pick one of those despite not wanting either (i don't use Sony sticks because they're always slower)....i'd pick the smaller one. But i'd bet that they're fake.

But don't pick either. Get a 4Gb or 8Gb Sandisk Ultra II Pro Duo. (or the Sandisk HG range).

RedBaron

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
xist said:
Personally i'd not opt for either and go for a Sandisk 8Gb Ultra II.

If i HAD TO pick one of those despite not wanting either (i don't use Sony sticks because they're always slower)....i'd pick the smaller one. But i'd bet that they're fake.

But don't pick either. Get a 4Gb or 8Gb Sandisk Ultra II Pro Duo. (or the Sandisk HG range).
Thanks for that

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Tandem even
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i think i heard of that, it's a good idea, shouldn't need a dedicated GPU just to run a LLM or video upscaling
    even the nvidia shield tv has AI video upscaling
    LLMs can be run on cpu anyway but it's quite slow
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Have you ever been beaten by a wet spaghetti noodle by your girlfriend because she has a twin sister, and you got confused and fucked her dad?
    I had a girlfriend who had a twin sister and they would mess with me constantly.... Until one chipped a tooth then finally I could tell them apart.... Lol
    They would have the same hair style the same clothes everything... Really messed with my head lol
    @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to maybe close the gap a bit with Nvidia. Plus it would kinda put Nvidia at a future disadvantage since Nvidia can't make X86/64 CPUs? Intel and AMD licensing issues... I wonder how much that has held back innovation.
    i don't think nvidia wants to get in the x64 cpu market anyways
    you've seen how much intel is struggling getting into the gpu market
    and nvidia is already doing ARM
    i don't think they want to take more focus away from their gpus
    Yeah I think Nvidia s future lays in AI GPU acceleration stuff if they can get that going it's going to be super interesting in the long term
    AI assisted game creation might become a thing
    At least that's something I think would be pretty cool.
    Don some VR glasses and gloves and talk to the computer and paint entire worlds
    "OK Cortana I want that mountain a little taller and more snow on top, and I would like some random ancient pine forest around the bottom"
    "Now we need a spring fed river flowing down the north side and add some wild life appropriate for the biome"
    Many TBs of assets and the programming of something like that is going to be tough but I think it's something we might see in 20 years maybe sooner
    @Psionic Roshambo AI assisted game creation is kinda already here, there was recently that AI that can turn any 2D image into a fully modeled 3D object, it's not perfect, but it's a starting point, beats starting from zero
    before that there was one to generate a fully modeled scene from a 2D image
    but most recently, there was one that actually generates a working unity scene with terrain and textures already set up that you can import right into unity, that's a huge time saver right there
    and using LLMs to generate NPC dialogue and even dynamically generated quests is something i'm sure is already happening
    will just take some time for games made using those things to be completed and released
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: will just take some time for games made using those things to be completed and released