OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.rydas.com
XP
Country
United States
I got a brand new Wii today (firmware 4.0u) and, I follow a guide titled "New 3.1-4.1 Softmod for ANY Wii" because it was something that seemed to be newly/frequently updated. I followed all the steps, everything seemed to work ok so I burned Twilight Princess and gave it a try. I'm not really used to the Wii menu, so I started the backup loader (NeoGamma) and instead of clicking start I went right and saw the Twilight Princess graphic/tune and was like "ok there it is" and started it. I immediately got a read error.

I thought it over a bit and once I went back into NeoGamma and realized/remembered I was just supposed to click start. I did that, loaded the game and got a error. I tried another game (Donkey Kong Barrel Blast or something like that and got the same read error). Now, I'm using off brand DVD-Rs (Dynex Best Buy brand) with Nero so I can't rule out those factors... but I'm perplexed as to why Twilight Princess would initially show up in the disc loader and then not show up again (nor would the other game I tried). It doesn't seem to me like that should screw up anything, but it also seems to me like I should get the same response to doing the same thing twice (hence Twilight Princess should show up in the disc loader menu again, heck the Wii even told me I played it).

I'm a little concerned I might have done something to it somehow and I'm certainly wary of my next steps. I thought the whole point of all that stuff was to play backups and I'm not sure if I can do that. I only have Dynex DVDs. I'm thinking of trying imgburn next, but I'd like to solicit some advice from veterans. Is there anything else I need to do to my Wii? Anything to avoid (still freaks me out that Twilight Princess showed up once then seemingly vanished forever)? This whole thing seems kind of daunting to me. Soft modding the PS2 and flash cards for the DS are a piece of cake but all this stuff is crazy. Any advice is welcome.

Thanks!

KrAzY3

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.rydas.com
XP
Country
United States
I wasn't sure about linking to another forum:
http://www.wiihacks.com/recommended-faqs-g...ny-wii-371.html

I am going to try imgburn now, but the whole Twilight Princess thing showing up in the Wiis disc loader's thrown me off. I can't figure out why it would show up once and only once (or how it could be a good enough burn to show up there, but not good enough to play in NeoGamma). Obviously I've got a lot to learn and I'm wary of screwing things up.

Riicky

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
did you install cioscorp 3.4.....? cioscorp is dangerous (I've used it and come to realize it's unnecessary as well)
Since your are on 4.0 (correct me if i'm wrong) i would use this guide Zektors 4.2 Update Method to get you to a pure and brand new 4.2 System Menu without all the "Scrambled IOS's" caused by cioscorp (HAHA Zektor)

As far as Wiihacks.com goes....sigh

KrAzY3

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.rydas.com
XP
Country
United States
No, I didn't install cioscorp 3.4 (or any of the stuff that was listed as optional).

That's one reason I'm confused as to why Twilight Princess ever showed up in the Wii's disc loader. It didn't seem as though that was possible, then again I wouldn't even know why cioscorp could be dangerous (it did sound interesting to me), but that's one reason I've decided not to do anything else until I figure out what's going on here. I'm in over my head and everything is probably working fine but I haven't the slightest clue right now.

I'm off to reboot the computer and try another game with imgburn this time...

Riicky

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you have bootmii installed as IOS or Boot2?

At first glance, CiosCorp is the tits...but down the line,when other apps came out ( i.e Hackmii installers), it just causes problems...sticking to a "litely" softmodded wii is a better option.
If IMGburn doesnt solve your problems, make a nand backup, if you have bootmii installed as boot2(since the guide you used mentioned installing Bootmii) and try the guide I mentioned above..

KrAzY3

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.rydas.com
XP
Country
United States
I uninstalled what ever it was that imgburn complained about in the log, rebooted, made sure I had a unscrubbed image, burned it at the slowest settings (with no errors other than saying I can't actually burn at 1X) and still got a "read error 1269". The only other possibility other than something just not working right is the media, so I'm going to get some Verbatim DVD-Rs but it doesn't make sense to me that it could be a good enough burn to show up in the Wii disc loader but not good enough for the backup loader. If that fails I suppose I will try to figure out the rest of this stuff. I used bootmii as IOS since it wouldn't let me use boot2 (if I recall correctly, a lot of this stuff is foreign to me) but I did make a nand backup (not sure if that does me any good).

I've got a lot more reading to do (only spent the past several hours on this which I suppose was just enough to scratch the surface). I won't be messing with anything until I get a handle on what's going on but I suppose I will be taking you up on your advice (once I know what is going on)... I agree with you on the lightly modded thing, that's why I skipped the optional stuff, but beyond that my knowledge is limited as well as my patience.

Thanks!

Edit: I also tried two Fuji mini dvd-rs that work just fine on my softmodded gamecube and both of them get me a 1254 read error. Not sure if they should work or not, but I did get Neogama to load a retail gamecube game so at least I know it can load non-backups, heh...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @AncientBoi, don't worry atleast that video is a parody +1