Hacking Re-virginize Wii for Nintendo Repair

BasedKiliK

Salt of the Earth~
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A friend plans to send in his Wii for repair after it got that faulty graphics problem where strange "pixels" start appearing all over the screen, and wanted me to basically make it factory new before he sent it in. While I believe I can remove all the mods on the system, will there be any traces left from any homebrew or IOS installs that Ninty can find, that I can wipe or clean out of the system?

DonnyKD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think Nintendo does anything but remove the mods from the Wii when you send it in. Granted, I haven't sent a modded Wii to them, but I guess they do.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
It depends on how thoroughly they'll scan. Some barely had to remove their HBC and their repairs found nothing (read: the tech didn't search too hard), others removed all cIOS'es and were still fined.

The only way I would trust right now to REALLY clean it is by using giantpune's ohneswanzenegger (or something among those lines). That should really replace the nand with a completely fresh one (though it may look suspicious that you haven't used it at all ;) ).

EDIT: it is true that if they find traces of homebrew, they simply return it without repair. Irrelevant of whether that had something to do with it.

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
As wever said, use pune's app to build a virgin nand for your wii. Then uninstall bootmii from boot2 (if it ever was installed), then restore that nand image that pune's app built for you from bootmii IOS.

Your wii being clean doesn't implicate anything bad has been run on it. But if you want to be somewhat safe, run the thing on an older date, start a few games, change the date, download some shit from the shopping channel.

Some people would advise you not to try to flash a virgin nand from bootmii IOS because there is a chance (ever so small freaking chance that it just wont ever happen) that your wii could become fully bricked. I say either way it is a win because N won't be able to tell that either way that homebrew was running on it and they will replace your wii.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.