RE:Revelations aspires to be really pretty!

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Annieone23, Jul 6, 2011.

Jul 6, 2011
  1. Annieone23
    OP

Member Annieone23 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    [​IMG]

Resident Evil Revelations developer, Masachika Kawata, claims that this game will be one of the most impressive looking 3DS games in 2012. By focusing on old school RE game mechanics of a small number of enemies in confined, dark, and atmospheric quarters they can focus more fully on amazing graphics instead of sheer body count.

Nothing way too new here but still exciting nonetheless as many people, including myself, can't wait to see this gorgeous and hopefully awesome RE 3DS game!

SOURCE - Nintendo Power Interview

VIDEO

2. Slyakin

Member Slyakin See ya suckers

United States
    Interesting... Make a smaller amount of enemies, which would in-turn make everything look a bit prettier...

Sounds just like RE2! Which means... Insta-buy? [​IMG]

3. ferofax

Member ferofax End of the World

Philippines
    Anti-aliasing and advanced lighting and maybe advanced texture rendering.

I dunno how to pull that off on the hardware, or if the hardware can pull it off rather, but if they're going to make it pretty, then they better go for photorealistic lighting and textures. Wood that looks like real wood, not CG wood. Metal that looks like metal. And no shiny CG skin pls. I hate character models that look like car finish (for god's sake, they're supposed to be people). i know for a fact that with proper lighting, even basic textures look believable (especially if there's good contrast in light and shaded areas). they just have to figure out which textures are supposed to be reflecting what amount of light.

And please, please. Study up on ghosting. Figure out a way to reduce/eliminate it, or just plain avoid bright objects on dark backgrounds.

(offtopic: i just had an idea. them japanese should make a 3D video game based on the Honto ni Atta: Noroi no Video series, among other real-life footages. I bet that screaming, running headless samurai would be crazy scary on nightvision 3D. seriously, go watch that. wait, no. it's supposed to REALLY cursed. the vids have disclaimer too.)

4. ShawnTRods

Member ShawnTRods GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    The idea sounds good to me [​IMG]. Looking forward to it.

I think its more of a hardware "issue". Just my guess but I suppose there isnt much to expect from glass-free 3D at this stage.

5. Paarish

Member Paarish Connor's Nublet

United Kingdom
    OMG! Can't wait :3
    I watched an E3 gameplay video and there was one bit that made me jump. First thing I thought was "Resident Evil is back" [​IMG]

6. heartgold

Member heartgold GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Title doesn't sound exciting

Capcom’s producer said...
    Compelling title should have been something like...

'Resident Evil Revelations Will Blow The Mercenaries Away Graphics Wise'

Anyway I'd love to see how far the 3DS can be pushed.

7. beenii

Member beenii GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    i just am pretty disappointed in them not releasing this game in 2011 as they said they would. for my taste, there are way too few games i want to buy this year for my beloved 3ds v_V.

8. chris888222

Member chris888222 GBAtemp's Flygon Fan

Singapore
    Hope that it isn't empty promises by capcom. [​IMG]

9. SamAsh07

Member SamAsh07 GBAtemp Addict

Bahrain
    Looking forward to this game, one of my must-buys for 2012.

10. chartube12

Member chartube12 GBAtemp Addict

United States
    Capcom originally said it would be running a modified and optimized version of RE5's game engine. Looks like it still holds true...so far.

11. chris888222

Singapore
    The Revelations demo looked slightly better than the Mec.

But it still isn't completed. Hopefully capcom pushes this game to the extreme.

12. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    Old school RE gameplay? Count me in! [​IMG]

I hope they'll completely ditch the new "GearsofWar-style" direction the main RE series is going into. It plainly sucks.

13. shakirmoledina

Member shakirmoledina Legend

Tanzania
    until re3, i loved the series then i stopped bcz it seemed different. now its even scarier, expect darker enemies around corners.

14. chris888222

Singapore
    In Mercs that idiot axe zombie guy just slashed me from behind (I was surprised)

But...

Not gory enough I say! Hunk wasn't even beheaded! [​IMG]

15. Erdnaxela

Member Erdnaxela GBAtemp Fan

France
    Loved RE4 much more than the 5, I'm buying this day one!

16. Blaze163

Member Blaze163 The White Phoenix's purifying flame.

United Kingdom
    From what I played of the demo it looked to have a lot of potential, but it also had a few issues. The ability to strafe was handy for looking around corners but absolutely worthless in actual combat, and therefore utterly pointless during Mercenaries, and being able to reload while doing other things with certain skills just reduced the timing and strategy aspects of the game. The sound quality was also pretty poor throughout both the demo and Mercs. Needs some serious work. But it did look fairly impressive.

I also agree that it needs more gore. I've only suffered one noteworthy kill on Mercs, being disembowled by a Garrador (a name I still can't take seriously as it sounds too much like 'garage door') and it just looked kinda meh. The blood was minimal and unconvincing, and the poor sound quality really detracted from my agonised screams and the gurgling sound as I breathed my last. Gameplay seemed solid as a rock on all fronts, but Revelations better iron out these flaws if it wants to blow me away.

17. Annieone23
    OP

Member Annieone23 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    On the one hand, I am all for hearkening back to the old school style, which can feel so much more atmospheric and scary, but on the other hand RE4 was the most polished and just plain intuitive to play. The older RE games are fun and scary, but I always felt like the gameplay was so flawed that it was a literal chore to play the games.

18. oxenh

Member oxenh The most unknown member of GBAtemp

Chile
    is good (at least for me) that capcom return to the RE roots, i never like the RE5 and RE4 play style