Re-installing WAD Installer

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Teclo, Apr 14, 2010.

Apr 14, 2010

Re-installing WAD Installer by Teclo at 8:36 AM (2,190 Views / 0 Likes) 10 replies

1. Teclo
    OP

Newcomer Teclo Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    I had a perfectly fine hacked Wii but the other day my friend snapped the micro-SD card so I'm having to put a lot of things back onto a new one. The one thing I can't figure out is how to get WAD Installer back. I can't get it to show up in the homebrew channel, where it was before. If some sort of installation is required, that was already done. It's just the contents of the SD that need to be sorted. So what do I do?

2. vegemikee

Member vegemikee GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    create a folder in the root of the sd card called 'apps' then place the boot.dol into another folder called 'wad manager' and youre set

3. wiixale

Member wiixale GBAtemp Regular

Italy
    Are you sure that the application is stored under a folder, stored itself under the "apps" folder in SD root directory, and that the main executable is called boot.dol?

EDIT: LoL, vegemikee, we had the same idea. [​IMG]

4. Teclo
    OP

Newcomer Teclo Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    I read somewhere else it was the .elf file you're meant to rename to boot.elf and place in a subfolder in the apps directory. So the .elf goes in the root and the .dol goes in the subfolder in apps?

Edit:
    Well I've set it up like that and it appears in the homebrew channel but when I click on it, it says "this is not a valid Wii application". What the hell?

Edit 2:
    Ah, well I've got it working now but by using WAD Manager instead. Thanks for your help anyway. [​IMG]

5. wiixale

Italy
    The message "This is not a valid Wii application" appears because the HBC, since the last versions, supports only DOL executables, no more ELFs.

The structure of an application is:
    SD root/apps/app_folder/boot.dol

WAD Manager is good enough. I don't know which version you're using, but I advice you YAWMM (Yet Another WAD Manager Mod), whose last version corrects a bug in WAD installation.
    It's simple and it can install/uninstall WADs in batch mode (just one click for more WADs).

Note: you will not find anymore ELF executable, but if you have ones, try this ELF to DOL converter for Windows. Just extract it and, your ELF file in the same folder and run the *.bat file. [​IMG]

6. XFlak

Member XFlak Wiitired but still kicking

Canada
    well, that may be partially true, I haven't tested it thoroughly, but I know for certain I am able to load the hackmii installer's boot.elf via the HBC. I'm not sure if the HBC can boot all boot.elf's, or if it somehow recognizes the hackmii installer boot.elf, but I know for certain that the HBC can launch the hackmii installer boot.elf

7. tj_cool

Supervisor tj_cool Stuff

Belgium
    Sauce

8. XFlak

Member XFlak Wiitired but still kicking

Canada
    r u sure it works that way? if so, what's the point of even bothering with the elf to dol converter?

9. tj_cool

Supervisor tj_cool Stuff

Belgium
    I was told it does
    For lazy people maybe? [​IMG]

10. CanadaX21

Newcomer CanadaX21 Advanced Member

United States
    [Removed]

Last edited by CanadaX21, Aug 16, 2016
  11. wiixale

Italy
    tj_cool gave an exaustive explanation. [​IMG]

I remembered this issue with ELF files. But last releases are all in *.DOL, so no problems anymore. [​IMG]

@CanadaX21: you mean that if I convert hackmii's main ELF into DOL with the converter, it will stop working? Well, I've never tried that, because I thought "if the same team of the HBC shared their installer in ELF format, it should mean that it works, so no needs to convert it".
    In fact, it works. And the problem was with some of the applications, as tj_cool indicated.