Re-installing factory iOS?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by RoxLikeToast, Jan 17, 2011.

Jan 17, 2011
  1. RoxLikeToast
    OP

Newcomer RoxLikeToast Newbie

United States
    Hi, i have never modded my Wii in any way or have never installed anything like HomeBrew.... my Wii has been collecting dust for at least a year now and i finally dusted it off to play the new DK. After installing the newest update i was unable to get the disc or any other games to load (black screen after hitting start from the disc channel menu)... i couldnt figure out what else to do so i figured the update might have not gone smoothly and since i didn't have any save data worth keeping i used the format system memory in the options...well now when the wii boots up it says "System Files Corrupted"... the Wii was bought at launch so the warrenty is long gone...

is there a way to reinstall the system files? or boot the Wii off a disc/flash/SD card? or install homebrew etc?

2. neotank19

Member neotank19 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Since you never modded it you don't have a nand dump. With no keys you cant fix it via infectus, so I don't think it's fixable.

On the positive side even though your warranty is gone I would call nintendo and tell them you updated it to play donkey kong and then give them the error message, I bet they will fix it for free.

3. Sicklyboy

Global Moderator Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

United States
    I think you are a bit hasty to assume he must resort to reflashing his NAND.

Though, I do agree, call Nintendo and see what they say.

If not, try to enter Maintenance mode first. Hold + and - on the Wii remote while booting the Wii.

4. RoxLikeToast
    OP

United States
    yeah it wont even go to maintenance mode...there isn't even a error #..its just the message and please refer to manual...

5. bazamuffin

Member bazamuffin RESIDENT DILF

United Kingdom
    If you haven't modded your Wii then ringing N is a good idea. Do you ever plan to softmod?

6. zizer

Member zizer GBAtemp Addict

maybe you have wii(usa) and update with euro release DK?

7. mikeyt1998

Member mikeyt1998 YouTube Glitcher

United Kingdom
    how would you even do that? think!

how can he update an unmodified console with a different region disc when they are REGION LOCKED.

8. RoxLikeToast
    OP

United States
    nope just the first game i've got for the wii in a long while...and after the update nothing no games would work...i dont know though if it was the update...or maybe the lens died (but it is barely used)... i guess ill cal nintendo and see how much it will be to fix... i would like to softmod it in the future...i am interested in homebrew and potentially using it as an emulator box.... although i have a 360 and a PS3 as well...

9. zizer

Member zizer GBAtemp Addict

yes sorry, you are right i am a bad person and never used disk

10. RoxLikeToast
    OP

United States
    called nintendo today...great customer service on the phone... easy to understand and navigate phone menu and got to speak to someone who i could actually understand...told him it wouldn't boot up after installing 4.3 and he said that eve though it wasn't under warranty anymore that if it was a bug due to updating that they repair for free... maybe when i get it back i will try and softmod it... i rarely play my wii...but would love to be able to play classic games on my TV with emulation since my pc isn't in the same room

11. PPSainity

Member PPSainity Blinded by Science

Canada
    Good to hear Nintendo offered to repair the Wii free of charge, and good for you for paying for DKR. It is important to show some support to Nintendo (yes this includes the Pirates out there too) in terms of actually buying games with $$$, otherwise such support goes away..... Keep in mind, the Wii you get back may not be the same Wii and if not, will probably be a Wii with the new drives that can not read recordable media. If you get back such a Wii, you will not be able to play home-made disc backups, but USB Loading and HomeBrew will still work.

...and before I am made to walk the plank, I'm not pro or anti piracy. Just saying, in order to get something, ya gotta pay one way or another. TINSTAAFL.

12. RoxLikeToast
    OP

United States
    actually i didn't buy DKR...but my g/f got it as a gift for her b-day =oP...but yeah...i do buy my games...i would however like to get into trying before i buy with certain games that i'm unsure about... without being a member to gamefly or the likes...what is a sufficient size USB or SD card for getting into HomeBrew... i understand you can get them pretty big but does that diminish performance in reading from the device?

13. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    As a matter of fact, the performance is usually better on an USB drive. This has to do with USB (2.0) reading speed vs DVD reading speed.

As for compatibility, I'll point you to this chart here.

14. mikeyt1998

Member mikeyt1998 YouTube Glitcher

United Kingdom
    That made me laugh, not a bad person, i like to think i'm more poor and thats why it happens haha XD

15. Aijelsop

Newcomer Aijelsop Question Asker

United States
    Just call them and tell them your problem and they will give you a date to send your Wii in. That's what I did when my Wii's disc drive broke... (before I had HBC)

16. bazamuffin

Member bazamuffin RESIDENT DILF

United Kingdom
    Would be nice to get his back as its a launch Wii I think, therefore guaranteed boot2 bootmii installation if he decides to go down that route. Nice to have that option

17. neotank19

Member neotank19 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    100 dollars says he gets a refurbished wii with no vulnerable boot 2 plus a drive that can't read backups, but it's still worth modding especially if you have a spare hard drive.

On another note, seeing as you had a launch wii, if you would have modded it and had bootmii installed you probably could have fixed it yourself and still had the nice brick protection.