Gaming Re-enjoying Legend of zelda the twilight princess.

Hielkenator

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I just started playing TP again seriously since about 4 years.
MAN I forgot how damn good this game is, especially seeing when it was originally released.
The sheer effort and love that went into making this game is really mindblowing.
Crazy artwork and originality, wonderful music and a great atmosphere tied together by a gripping story.
Even now I'm discovering new things or things that I totally forgot.
The dungeons are so much better than Skyward sword imo.
Also there are a lot more enemy's to slash at once, the action is much more vivid.

Also something to note is that I am playing the NTSC-U version of the game.
Some may know, or maybe not know, That the PAL version of the game isn't properly shown in Progressive scan 480p. I'd recommend getting the NTSC-U version of this game, even when you are in the PAL region when using component leads in combination with a plama/lcd.
It makes a huge difference in picture quality. The 480p in pal versions is bugged and this has been mentioned on various occasions, before.

Simpy love this game, a much better Zelda experience than it's latest installment , Skyward sword.

Reactions: NahuelDS

siliconmessiah

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Great to hear. At the end of the day, the Wii really came out strong. Nintendo showed support when it comes to Mario/Zelda games.I agree with you TP being one of of the systems big guns. But I would really like to add Skyward Sword to the good stuff. Add GC-compatibility and Wind Waker too, and you have days of amazing gameplay. I will keep my Wii going for some time! :)

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
It's funny , I recently rediscovered this fantastic game myself, but in a different way....
Basically I got the Wii version on launch day, all excited about the native widescreen support and motion controls....
Only years later, I discovered that it's not an actual widescreen, but merely a stretched 640x480 stretched to look like widescreen, and motion controls really suck for this game ,and understandably so, being the game being ported from the Gamecube........which brings me to my point.

I decided to play the GC version in Dolphin, and it seems that my PC can handle it just fine at 720p ( much, much better looking then 480i or 480p ) and also I can play it with a controller ( I use the xbox360's ) and it plays so much better !

Sure I lose the widescreen, ( there might be a way to hack it in, I didn't look into it yet ) but on the plus side, the world is NOT mirrored like in the Wii version ( as I recall they did that on the Wii because on the GC Link is left handed and it would have seemed unnatural to swing the wii remote , so they mirrored the WHOLE game left to right in order to fix the issue ! ) and so Hyrule landscape and land marks are more true and reminiscent of the N64 OOT !!!

I also have means to play it on the real hardware with a GC controller, but I prefer the emulated version for the higher resolution, it looks so much better, and the level design is just as good as it gets ! ;)

siliconmessiah

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Emulation surely has its graphical benefits, but somehow, I tend to want to play newer games the way they were intended to be. It's all the settings-tinkering that keeps me from emulating new-gen systems.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I agree, Twilight Princess was amazing and definitely better than Skyward Sword. The Motion Plus stuff in Skyward Sword was pretty cool, but ultimately it still felt gimmicky (ESPECIALLY those door keys). As a whole TP just felt like a better game to me. Probably my favorite Zelda game.

MarioFanatic64

The guy who does things
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Let me tell you my story of how I became acquainted with this amazing game. (And by extension, the Zelda games as a whole)

As a kid, I had been predisposed to a biased opinion on Zelda games, thinking they were a series of "nerdy, dungeons and dragons shit where you play as a hobbit guy with pointy ears", (I was 11/12 years old, no hate please) and didn't bother to even glance at a Zelda game at a store, I didn't like the idea of playing such games when I was already picked on at school just for liking Harry Potter.

It was in 2009 when I was given a flashcart for my DS when this all changed. Being 14 and a bit more open-minded, I downloaded Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks "to see what they were like", I was mildly impressed by the strange "casual" feel that accompanied an RPG, it wasn't what I expected. While I never finished playing through them, I never doubted the Zelda games again.

It was in 2011 when I first purchased a Zelda game with Ocarina of Time 3D, I had the original and Majora's Mask on an emulator, though I never bothered to get very far in either of them, but nevertheless I was impressed (Plus, I have a soft spot for any N64 games). I decided that I should put as much effort into the game as possible, having paid $70 for it (Welcome to Australia). Within a few weeks, I finished the game and the satisfaction I had gained from completing it was almost overwhelming.

That was when the "dungeons and dragons" stereotype broke for me, I had completed an RPG where you have a sword and fight monsters, go on quests, explore dungeons and use magic and I was still the same guy, not some acne-ridden RPG junkie with a ponytail.

Incidentally, this was the year where Nintendo spammed Zelda. With The 25th Anniversary of the series and the 3DS Ambassador Program, I scored The Legend of Zelda, Zelda II, Minish Cap and Four Swords for free. Those four games helped me establish more how Zelda was different in a good way.

About a year ago, I decided to try out Zelda for Wii, picking up Skyward Sword, as people were praising it as the best Zelda yet. It took a few months but I finished the game, I enjoyed it a lot and it had the same spark as Ocarina of Time, but it lacked the expansive, open-world environment of most of the other Zelda games I had played, it felt like Skyloft was just a hub world, leaving minimal exploration, other than side quests.

So come about August/September, I started on a hunt for Twilight Princess around the stores, but wouldn't you know it, nowhere had a single copy of the game, despite having tons of copies of Shovelware Pets Game (1-Infinity), Shovelware Dancing Simulator (1-Infinity), and Shovelware Movie Tie-in (1-Infinity) and Shovelware FPS (1-Infinity). (Welcome to Australia, again).
I ended up resorting to eBay to get Twilight Princess, getting it for only $30 pre-owned. (Yep, that's right. Australia.) And while it did have damages to the disc and lacked an Instruction Manual, it still ran without problems. Let me say so far, that while I had my doubts at first, after a few hours of playing I decided that Twilight Princess was my favourite Zelda to date. It retained all the things I liked about the previous titles I had played, minus the small things I didn't like as much.

I imagine it as the lovechild of Ocarina and Skyward, with the great open and still familiar world of Ocarina and the polish and sheer size of Skyward. I'm currently playing through the City in the Sky. Some would say I'm being slow, I'd say that I'm savouring it. After all, you can only experience a game for the first time once.

I hope you enjoy Twilight Princess right now just as much as I am experiencing it for the first time.

Rockhoundhigh

Man with a mission
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For me this is a special game because it was my first Zelda game and since then I've played nearly every (and beaten some) Zelda game to date and while a few aspects seem dated, the problems with the game are more noticeable than before, and my nostalgia's probably blinding I definitely enjoyed Twilight Princess more than Skyward Sword.

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Emulation surely has its graphical benefits, but somehow, I tend to want to play newer games the way they were intended to be. It's all the settings-tinkering that keeps me from emulating new-gen systems.

I agree completely, but like I said, I already beat the game on the real hardware because I purchased it along with my Wii on launch day in 2006.

I need some incentive to play it again , and to me the emulated GC version, with the original, non-mirrored world map, no motion controls, higher res, and possibly a hacked wide screen support, is reason enough to sit trough this adventure one more time.
Remember we are not talking about a walk in the park here, to finish a Zelda game you need time and dedication, and once you manage ti see the end of it, you rarely feel the urge to play it again,instead you just have to wait for Nintendo to come up with a new chapter of this never ending story !

nakata6790

True Player
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I also much prefer the original GC version [ideally running via Devolution so that the framerate is rock solid ;) ]
Better picture quality (IMHO), original world and the TP controls on Wii are a waggle fest IMHO, only the IR saves the day. Skyward Sword gave us amazing controls (sans the lack of IR).

Ideally we could combine TP content with SS controls.

Reactions: Maxternal

Hielkenator

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'm playing all my wii games is 4:3 ratio.
You can clearly see the system was developed with his in mind, also NO MORE blurry fake widescreen.

AngryGeek416

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I love TP but i prefer the gamecube version, which is in fact the original the wii version is a port anyway i just like gamecube controls better.

Elrinth

:Master beyond your imagination:
Trophies
Website
www.elrinth.com
XP
Country
I'm replaying Skyward Sword on my Wii. I never finished it on my PC, now I thought, I'm going to finish it. I noticed however that the controls work alittle better on my Wii. But doing those slashes in different directions can many times make a different slash than the one you were trying to perform to happen. Specially annoying is it when fighting Ghirahim (or however you spell it) the first time. When you are required to do an opposite slash than the one you are currently holding your sword in. Best way to win is typically to just spam and hope link performs the right slash.

PolloDiablo

Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Long time Zelda fan here...
My first two Zelda's games were Link's Awakening and A Link to The Past, so I have a bit different perspective from you guys. Being able to play the games in order of release, I saw the evolution the series had during all these years. Going through the SNES game and the GBC games, all the way to the 3D N64 ones. Each time I was shocked and amazed by how different and yet so similar the games were. No Zelda game was what we expected at the time.... the developers always delivered a different experience with each installment.

That's where Twilight Princess comes into place... and this is my main problem with it. During all the game, I always felt: "oh, this is the same as Ocarina :glare:". Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed the game... but it didn't had that spark that previous installments were able to catch.

On the other hand, if you abstract the game from the whole series... Twilight Princess is a beast in his owns rights. It's so polish, it has all the elements previous games had, but refined. It felt like the developers made the Zelda game that the fans wanted to play at the time, and they truly succeed in doing so. But, in order to achieve that, they sacrificed something that Zelda had during all the previous years.... spontaneity and originality.

That's why I didn't fall in love with Twilight Princess like I did with A Link to the Past or Ocarina. Everything was perfect with game: the controls were tight, the dungeons were as good as always, the art direction outstanding, the mood was dark and sometimes twisted, and the world felt adventurous and vast. But it didn't fell like before, all the magic was... gone.

At first I though... maybe it's because I'm getting older and games doesn't impact me the way they used to do when I was a kid. But then I played Skyward Sword, and the magic was back for me :). It didn't felt like Ocarina, it didn't felt like any other game in the series... it felt (again) like The Legend of Zelda.

------
btw... I'm sorry if my english is atrocious. It's really hard for me to write something that goes beyond 3 or 4 sentences.

Reactions: mightymuffy

Hielkenator

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Zelda fan from day one.
My most favourite zelda is A Link to the past, no doubt.
Second best for me is zelda 2, the adventure of link.
Then the original game, great memories.
Also Link's awakening I love a lot.

Then when 3d was introduced, these games became somewhat easier.
Exception of Majora's mask.

I remember getting each zelda game on launch day.
Image picking Zelda for NES right beside the shelves for Atari 2600 games, lol.
Sweet golden casing, lovely artwork from those small booklets.
mapping out the whole game screen by screen, leaving the NES on for weeks in a row...good times.

Ocarina showed some awesome creativity.
Also windwaker has that "zelda feeling"going on for me.
What I really mis in skyward sword is the lack of figuring things out by yourself.
lack of puzzles and enemy's, needless flying on birds to get form "level' to level.
The fact that these "sectors"are not connected.
ocarina and all previous zelda games consisted out of one game map, or at least gave you this feeling of an open world, free to explore.
sKyward sword has a barren world map ( sky ), and not a lot of hidden places.
also the re- use of bossen and temples feels a bit cheap
and douwsing is just annoying in it's right.
also the fact that the recourses collecting is a hit and miss, and ads nothing to the games when you are past half of the game.
Anyway HERO mode is a plus, but I rather not play the whole story again from scratch.
In my point of view there were no real epic moments in this last game.
the whole game felt like a breeze.

Every zelda game has it's - and + es.
I think a link to past was the most balanced game.
A 3d remake would be awesome.
Story and Item wise it's great.
A lot of items that are classic zelda items were introduced in this game.

PolloDiablo

Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I remember getting each zelda game on launch day.
Image picking Zelda for NES right beside the shelves for Atari 2600 games, lol.
haha lol that was epic
I too remember getting my first Zelda game (Link's Awakening) on a store in Uruguay. I was on vacation with my trusty old Game Boy and saw that golden box! It was mesmerizing! I begged my parents to buy me that game, I new it was something special!

A Link to the Past is also my favourite :lol:

I too think that they streamlined the game a lot in Skyward Sword. Skyloft serving as a HUB do it's job fine, but it eliminates the trademark "explore a world" thing that they created with the first game (and that sucks). On the other hand, I think that both Ocarina and Twilight fails on the same thing too!... you have a big overworld to explore (being Twilight's bigger) but it feels kind of empty, there is not much stuff going on. Two opposite games (SS / OoT and TP) that fails on the same. I think Majora's Mask nails it, because the overworld is smaller but much more detailed. But Majora's has only a few temples, like Wind Waker, and Skyward Sword. So you could say that every game has what the other doesn't :lol:

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Long time Zelda fan here...
My first two Zelda's games were Link's Awakening and A Link to The Past, so I have a bit different perspective from you guys. Being able to play the games in order of release........

Talk for yourself buddy !
I have very fond memory of borrowing a NES from a school mate in 1986, along with 3 games, and those games were Zelda, Metroid and Salamander.
What do you know ? Zelda became my favorite adventure / action / RPG of all times ( in every incarnation ) , metroid became my favorite space adventure / platform of all times ( and it gets better and better, I truly enjoyed the Prime series ) and the Salamander / Gradius / Nemesis.....well, enough said !

Unfortunately I hade to give it back after a few weeks, but those few weeks were unforgettable.
And of course I played every sequel/spin offs of those games trough the years, that's what keeps me buying new Nintendo systems every time ( otherwise I'd be a happy PC gamer ;) ).

Regarding my favorite Zelda, I've said it many times before in similar topics, it must be Majora's Mask without a shadow of a doubt.
I'm a sucker for time travel in general, and the right combination of mystical/magical/almost-scary atmosphere , plus the feeling of playing a grown up version of OOT made it for an unforgettable experience .
I remember my room mate hated videogames , but he stood all night long watching me beating MM saving the earth from the falling moon.......Ah those memories !
After well over 10 years, every once in a while he still asks me over Facebook if I'm still playing any new Zelda game ! ;)

But yeah, looking forward to the GC version of TP.
I also much prefer the original GC version [ideally running via Devolution so that the framerate is rock solid ;) ]
Better picture quality (IMHO), original world and the TP controls on Wii are a waggle fest IMHO, only the IR saves the day. Skyward Sword gave us amazing controls (sans the lack of IR).

Ideally we could combine TP content with SS controls.

Are you saying that the GC version of TP plays better in Devolution then with the real retail disc ?
I've been skeptic to install it the whole time because I assumed there must be performance problem compared to the original, but if what you are saying is true, then it's an instant install !

nakata6790

True Player
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Are you saying that the GC version of TP plays better in Devolution then with the real retail disc ?
I've been skeptic to install it the whole time because I assumed there must be performance problem compared to the original, but if what you are saying is true, then it's an instant install !
Some slight drops when battling while horseriding many foes simultaneously in the open field were present in the GC, now they 're non existent.
Plus the game loads faster and you can use the free camera with the C stick.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
I'm still going through the Wii TP version right now. It took a little while to catch on for me and reading this, thinking about it I finally figured out why.
It's that TEXT NOISE. It's the FIRST thing you hear when you start the game and it's SOOO old school. Just thinking about it now I think I placed it ... I think I've heard the same text noise in the NES version of Darkwing Duck.

Anyway, once that wears off it's a great game (I'm so happy Midna has his own voice.).

When the Wii first came out, the idea of motion controls in the first place sounded a little gimicky to me as it was ... but then hearing that they flipped the WHOLE GAME around just to accommodate the motion controls didn't help either. I think that was another reason why it took me a while to pick up the game in the first place.
(I'm left handed myself and I kinda felt akin to pretty much ALL the Link characters before the Wii ... it was kinda a letdown. I also at that time didn't really realize that in almost every game Link is a different person so I was totally devastated that they were destroying one of the character's key traits ... until I figured that out :P )
When I finally picked up the Wii version thinking "I always have played with the d-pad or joystick in my left hand anyhow. having the 'sword' in my right hand won't be that wierd" and realized that the "motion controls" weren't more than a simple wiimote shake for lack of an extra button it, again, took me a little while longer to warm up to the game. Wii Sport (not resort) shows that you can still do plenty without the motionplus and I was hoping for something a little more like that.

Once the story picks up, though, I FINALLY started enjoying the game and it definitely is worth getting in to. I do kinda like the feel of the wiimote now even though playing it at the same time as Skyward Sword makes me forget sometimes how NONspecific the sword movement is.

I'm thinking of going back and playing the GC version once I'm done to see what it's like but I know I'm going to get SOO lost even though I still feel it has the "correct" maps.

My first Zelda game was the first NES one but I never actually beat it (I only ever rented it as a child) but I have at least watched someone else play through it.
I'm CURRENTLY simultaneously playing through all non-handheld Zelda games (except link's crossbow training ... but I do have it.) and actually seem to be avoiding any confusion pretty well. I've only ever beaten Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, though. I hope that's soon to change.
I think I've played Link's awakening for a couple of minutes right at the beginning once but other than that haven't ever touched any handheld version. I'll have to look into that now that I think of it.

I think I've just been rambling for the most part but I'm done now.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I swear like 99% of arcade games wouldn't even exist these days outside of MAME the arcade...