Hacking RD SDHC can't save JP games

wohdin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I've had no real problems playing anything with my shiny new R4 SDHC (yet). HOWEVER, with several Japanese game I've tried (which includes Taiko no Tatsujin DS, Ketsui and Ouendan 1+2 - strangely enough it works with Gyakuten Kenji), it will NOT retain saves. When I launch it will say "Create save file" [sic] and act as though it's 'initialising' the battery data, when I quit playing it doesn't stay.

These are all "autosave" games, but I don't think that's the probem - Elite Beat Agents has worked, as well as other (US-version) auto-saving games. I don't know what the problem is, can anyone help?

...Hell maybe it's not even an issue of region, idk 8V

[e] In case this information will help with the diagnosis, I have an 8GB Sandisk SDHC card in it, that I just recently formatted with that Panasonic formatter thing in hopes of fixing this problem (it didn't, obviously). I'm using a phat DS. R4's kernel is 1.09b.

(Also, because I've been wondering for a while, can anyone tell me what the little icons below ROM files mean? Two of them are graphics stolen straight from Windows XP... I've figured out that the "Nintendo Wireless" icon probably means that there's a save file for it - it only appears after I've launched a ROM for the first time and the save has initialised, and the ones with the above problem never display this.)

Maz7006

iSEXu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
what's an RD
smileipb2.png

mind stating:

a.Which kernal your using.
b. Mirco SD (size and Type)

Possible solutions:

a. Update to latest Kernal
b. Format Micro SD (note this will delete everything on the card)
c. You may have a bad dump of those games, try another source (and don't ask where)

wohdin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tried it with a different microSD (non-SDHC, 2GB Sandisk, which could possibly be bootleg but I don't know) with a few files that didn't work at first, and they still crapped out. Others that work still worked on this one, so it's definitely not the integrity of the 8GB causing this issue.

Okay here's a list. These are only ROMs I have actually booted. It always displays "Create save file" when I launch files without save data (shows this every time for these that do not save) and seems to have no problems; I can only tell when something has been saved after I quit and check the ROM again.
All files are US, or JP if it's something not out in US, obviously.

DOES save:
Ace Attorney 1-4 as well as Gyakuten Kenji
Castlevania OoC
Elite Beat Agents
Final Fantasy 12 Revenant Wings
Final Fantasy 3
Final Fantasy 4
Hoshigami Remix
Hotel Dusk
Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days (JP, obviously)
LifeSigns
Lunar Knights
Magical Starsign
MegaMan ZX/ZX Advent
Pokemon Platinum (shock!)
Puyo Pop Fever (US)
Rhythm Heaven
Rondo of Swords
Rune Factory
Sonic Rush Adventure
Suikoden Tierkreis (both normal US and JP-base undub version)
Summon Night Twin Age
Tales of Innocence (JP)
Tales of Tempest (JP)
Time Hollow
Trauma Center 1+2
The World Ends With You
Zelda Phantom Hourglass
Arkanoid DS
ASH - Archaic Sealed Heat (JP)
Children of Mana
Chrono Trigger DS
Front Mission DS
Heroes of Mana
New SMB
Resident Evil
Shin Megami Tensei Devil Survivor
Trace Memory
Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume
My Japanese Coach (lol yeah yeah)

does NOT save:
Ketsui Death Label (JP)
Professor Layton 1
Ouendan 1+2 (JP) (strange, since EBA works perfectly)
Rhapsody (undub version, not tried regular rip)
Taiko DS 1+2 (JP)
Ys Books 1&2
Draglade
Korg DS (lol renders this app totally useless)
Legendary Starfy
Mario 64 DS
Theresia - Dear Emile

Maz7006

iSEXu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Ok thanks for thew info. I'm assuming your running on the latest firmware. Correct ?

well by the looks of things, i think that there is something wrong with your specific R4-SDHC (maybe with some googleing around you will strike luck) my help stops here, i mean another micro SD didn't help, (which usually fixes the save issue problem mind you)

the last thing you can try is trying another DS (highly unlikely it will make a diff.)

and just for the note, the R4-SDHC is a clone of the original R4, which is now sort of dead. Everything out there that has R4 on it is FAKE!!!

if problems persist, get a new card from a more repectable team like AceKard, Team Cyclops, EDGE, M3 to name a few.

Sorry but you may JUST be out of luck.

wohdin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maz7006 said:
Ok thanks for thew info. I'm assuming your running on the latest firmware. Correct ?

well by the looks of things, i think that there is something wrong with your specific R4-SDHC (maybe with some googleing around you will strike luck) my help stops here, i mean another micro SD didn't help, (which usually fixes the save issue problem mind you)

the last thing you can try is trying another DS (highly unlikely it will make a diff.)

and just for the note, the R4-SDHC is a clone of the original R4, which is now sort of dead. Everything out there that has R4 on it is FAKE!!!

if problems persist, get a new card from a more repectable team like AceKard, Team Cyclops, EDGE, M3 to name a few.

Sorry but you may JUST be out of luck.

Firmware... like, DS firmware? I'm not sure, I have an old Phat... With the card's firmware, yes, it's the most recent.

I'm aware that my card's a knockoff, I was well aware of that when I bought it - but I wasn't complaining, I paid, what, 6 bucks from DX for it? Super cheap. Really, this thing's just temporary until I can get a better card and get deeper into the DS scene. (It's a lot simpler than working with PSP CFWs. XD)

Thanks for the help, though~ I'll be looking into different cards sooner than I thought, apparently. What's the most popular out there? What's the best value? I'm just looking for something that can run nds files, doesn't really need anything special. I have my PSP as a media device/emulator, so I don't need anything like that.

Maz7006

iSEXu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Firmware...as in flashcard firmware, in this case the R4 kernal

as for best flashcard, well go for the AK2, great price, well supported.

you might as well get the AK2i, same as the normal AK2, but if you ever happen to upgrade to a DSi for example it will work on it as well. It also works on the DS Lite.

wohdin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oh my god I am miserable failure at this

apparently the problem was with how the cart initializes saves - specifically, how it names the files. I had never actually bothered to go LOOK at them, because I'm a moron. For some reason - presumably due to capital letter mixing - certain ROM saves would initialise as, for instance, Ketsui.nds > KETSUI.SAV, or KorgDS.nds > KORGDS.SAV; save files are allcaps, and therefore cannot be linked to the original ROM because hurr R4 not smart. FML only I could overlook such an OBVIOUS issue.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Tandem even
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i think i heard of that, it's a good idea, shouldn't need a dedicated GPU just to run a LLM or video upscaling
    even the nvidia shield tv has AI video upscaling
    LLMs can be run on cpu anyway but it's quite slow
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Have you ever been beaten by a wet spaghetti noodle by your girlfriend because she has a twin sister, and you got confused and fucked her dad?
    I had a girlfriend who had a twin sister and they would mess with me constantly.... Until one chipped a tooth then finally I could tell them apart.... Lol
    They would have the same hair style the same clothes everything... Really messed with my head lol
    @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to maybe close the gap a bit with Nvidia. Plus it would kinda put Nvidia at a future disadvantage since Nvidia can't make X86/64 CPUs? Intel and AMD licensing issues... I wonder how much that has held back innovation.
    i don't think nvidia wants to get in the x64 cpu market anyways
    you've seen how much intel is struggling getting into the gpu market
    and nvidia is already doing ARM
    i don't think they want to take more focus away from their gpus
    Yeah I think Nvidia s future lays in AI GPU acceleration stuff if they can get that going it's going to be super interesting in the long term
    AI assisted game creation might become a thing
    At least that's something I think would be pretty cool.
    Don some VR glasses and gloves and talk to the computer and paint entire worlds
    "OK Cortana I want that mountain a little taller and more snow on top, and I would like some random ancient pine forest around the bottom"
    "Now we need a spring fed river flowing down the north side and add some wild life appropriate for the biome"
    Many TBs of assets and the programming of something like that is going to be tough but I think it's something we might see in 20 years maybe sooner
    @Psionic Roshambo AI assisted game creation is kinda already here, there was recently that AI that can turn any 2D image into a fully modeled 3D object, it's not perfect, but it's a starting point, beats starting from zero
    before that there was one to generate a fully modeled scene from a 2D image
    but most recently, there was one that actually generates a working unity scene with terrain and textures already set up that you can import right into unity, that's a huge time saver right there
    and using LLMs to generate NPC dialogue and even dynamically generated quests is something i'm sure is already happening
    will just take some time for games made using those things to be completed and released
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: will just take some time for games made using those things to be completed and released