Homebrew RELEASE RCMReboot (for Atmosphere 0.8.1+) - reboots your Switch to RCM

hippy dave

BBMB
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
RCMReboot by hippy dave. Reboots your Switch into RCM. Clever name, I know.

edit:
I do not condone using this app if your SD card is EXFAT formatted.
natinusala & ctcaer pointed out that Atmosphere's method to reboot to RCM, and therefore the method used by this app, does not properly shutdown HOS so there is some unquantified risk of file corruption. Still use at your own risk on fat32, but just don't use it on exfat please.

Intended for use on Switches that don't have AutoRCM installed.

This uses a new feature added to exosphere in Atmosphere 0.8.1, so it won't work in other CFWs unless they add it in a compatible way. Also Atmosphere 0.8.1 got a silent update with a bug fix to get this feature working, so if you already downloaded it before sometime on 1st Dec you might need to update it again (if it crashes with an orange screen instead of going to RCM, you need to update). There's a commit hash in the filename, make sure you have atmosphere-0.8.1-master-bd76e73 (or if you're living in the future, Atmosphere 0.8.2 or higher will be fine too). It sounds like it currently only works if you load Atmosphere using fusee-primary.bin, not if you use hekate to load Atmosphere as separate files (using hekate to load fusee-primary.bin is ok). This will likely be fixed when hekate is updated.

There are two versions included in the zip, each available as an .nro (put it in its folder inside the "switch" folder on the root of your sd card) and as an installable .nsp (install with the stupidly-named installer of your choice).
- RCMRebootInstant will reboot to RCM as soon as it loads.
- RCMReboot will give you a 5 second countdown with a chance to change your mind.

The reason RCMReboot is a much bigger file than the Instant version is that I used cpasjuste's cross2d library to put stuff on screen, mostly because I've been using it for the other project I'm working on and it saved me time. Sweet library, check it out.

Credits to cpasjuste for the aforementioned cross2d, re.lax for nro2nsp (which uses hacbrewpack by the-4n), SciresM for Atmosphere, libnx, and for fixing the bugs in them I found while making this, and everyone else who worked on Atmosphere, libnx, devkitpro and all that good stuff.

Source included for peace of mind, and in case of licence requirement. If I've got anything horribly wrong with licensing or credits just let me know. If you want to build it yourself you'll need libnx updated with the latest commit (which isn't in a release build at the time of writing), and to figure out the cross2d setup for the non-Instant version.

Direct Download v1.0f
Download page on GBATemp downloads

Changelog:
v1.0f - Fixed release zip to get rid of hidden MacOS files. Actual files unchanged.
v1.0 - Initial release

Last edited by hippy dave,

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did the one that's 5 seconds by putting the .nro folder in switch folder, after the 5 seconds run out it says splSetConfig failed!

I could try the nsp instead tomorrow.

Last edited by ,

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
The non instant .nro version works here. :)

Although people with autorcm can do the same thing, by just selecting restart from the power menu. So this is primarily a program for people not using autorcm. :)

Also - you have .DS_store files in your release zip (macOS temp files). ;)
-

Edit: I'm using the Hekate payload to boot fusee-primary.bin btw, and it works.

Last edited by notimp,

hippy dave

BBMB
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ok sounds like so far you can only use it if you boot Atmosphere with fusee-primary.bin - when hekate gets updated for latest Atmosphere gubbins the other way might work too. If anyone still can't use it when booting fusee-primary.bin (and you definitely have the latest version of Atmosphere) please report back.

Urgh, thanks for the heads up about the MacOS files. I've uploaded an updated zip without them, it's otherwise the same release.

hippy dave

BBMB
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Update:
I do not condone using this app if your SD card is EXFAT formatted.
natinusala & ctcaer pointed out that Atmosphere's method to reboot to RCM, and therefore the method used by this app, does not properly shutdown HOS so there is some unquantified risk of file corruption. Still use at your own risk on fat32, but just don't use it on exfat please.

Reactions: CYB3R

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The non instant .nro version works here. :)

Although people with autorcm can do the same thing, by just selecting restart from the power menu. So this is primarily a program for people not using autorcm. :)

-

Edit: I'm using the Hekate payload to boot fusee-primary.bin btw, and it works.

So the .DS_store files is just for MAC right? I don't need to do anything with them on Windows?

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry I've only used Hekate payload so never used Atmosphere. I downloaded atmosphere-0.8.1-master-bd76e73 and overwrote the files to Atmosphere that was on my sd card. But everyone keeps saying they payloaded fusee-primary.bin but I only have fusee-secondary.bin?

hippy dave

BBMB
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry I've only used Hekate payload so never used Atmosphere. I downloaded atmosphere-0.8.1-master-bd76e73 and overwrote the files to Atmosphere that was on my sd card. But everyone keeps saying they payloaded fusee-primary.bin but I only have fusee-secondary.bin?
fusee-primary.bin is a separate download on the release page

Reactions: EmulateLife

hippy dave

BBMB
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Nice job but
what does it do then?
since all or most will use exfat...
ALL advice is against using exfat if you want to use homebrew. Either stick to legit games and exfat, or use fat32 and all the fun unofficial stuff (and also the legit games, just not online).

It reboots from Atmosphere into RCM mode.

Reactions: CYB3R

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyY0Z_U09mk