RELEASE RCMReboot (for Atmosphere 0.8.1+) - reboots your Switch to RCM

Discussion in 'Switch - Emulation, Homebrew & Software Projects' started by hippy dave, Dec 2, 2018.

1. ZachyCatGames

ZachyCatGames GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 19, 2018
    United States
    Hell
    It wouldnt work on 3.0.0 with smhax, because it requires Atmospheres secure monitor afaik

hippy dave likes this.
  2. bobman279

bobman279 Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 4, 2018
    United Kingdom

New to the modding scene here and I have been looking at modding my switch for a little while now but with the program you have put out its only been up for 2 days and there are no guides at all on how to get this to run on the switch. I have an sd card is 8gb enough? I might just get a 128gb eventually but i am looking at installing Atmosphere. But I really have no idea how to run this without maybe just getting a jig. Also my switch is 5.1.0 and I am currently on bone stock nintendo software

Last edited by bobman279, Dec 4, 2018
  3. NoSoul81

NoSoul81 GBAtemp Maniac

May 30, 2016
    United States
    This isn't really the right place to be asking how to hack your Switch but I'll try to help.

First of all is your Switch a recent purchase because Switch's bought in stores after around July are usually patched and thus can't do any hacking/modding/custom firmware whatever you want to call it. Once you know you have a hackable Switch yes you need a jig to get to RCM mode. What this does is let you reboot to RCM mode from the main screen so you don't have to use the jig as much, this is just a tool to assist you once you've gotten on CFW it's not how your hack your Switch at all.

Last edited by NoSoul81, Dec 4, 2018
    bobman279 and hippy dave like this.
  4. bobman279

bobman279 Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 4, 2018
    United Kingdom
    That was a very good explanation I really wasn't sure if I needed a jig or if this program could do the rcm boot for me.

5. satelliteseeker

satelliteseeker Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 12, 2016
    United States
    Does it work on exFAT if a system error is intentionally triggered, forcing the system to reboot into normal or RCM mode (via the custom fatal module) without the danger of corrupting SD card?

6. hippy dave
    OP

hippy dave BBMB

Apr 30, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Using it on exfat would risk corruption, don't do it. Fat32 for homebrew.

7. Erol

Erol GBAtemp Fan

May 13, 2009
    Gambia, The
    What’s the difference between this and Auto rcm then?

8. GTRagnarok

GTRagnarok Member

Newcomer
    Apr 21, 2009
    United States
    AutoRCM corrupts a part of the nand and forces RCM on every boot so you never need a jig. This tool lets you reboot into RCM when you choose to. IMO, it's a cleaner solution. The only disadvantage is that you would still need a jig if your CFW crashes or something and you're forced to do a normal reboot.

Last edited by GTRagnarok, Dec 16, 2018
    hippy dave likes this.
  9. Rushhour77

Rushhour77 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 1, 2007
    Netherlands
    NL
    So if i understand clearly, this wont help me if system crashes which forces me to reboot? In this case I would still need a jig or autorcm, right?

10. hippy dave
    OP

hippy dave BBMB

Apr 30, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Right, this app can't do anything about crashes, it only runs when you choose to run it. But if you're using the latest version of atmosphere, the fatal error screen allows you to reboot to payload (or to RCM if the payload isn't in the right place) when a crash occurs by pressing a volume button.

Rushhour77 likes this.
  11. Rushhour77

Newcomer
    Aug 1, 2007
    Netherlands
    NL
    Thx for the reply. Unfortunatly the crashes I incidently expierence are games hanging without fatal error screen, which forces me to reboot.

12. hippy dave
    OP

hippy dave BBMB

Apr 30, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Yeah sucks when that happens. I've had it a few times in recent weeks when I was playing Celeste for hours at a time. Can't think of another game that's done it for me more than once, if at all.

13. Rushhour77

Newcomer
    Aug 1, 2007
    Netherlands
    NL
    I had most crashes with Lego Villains. Anyways, great job with this tool. I will install it anyway. It might be helpfull when I want to take out the SD card.

hippy dave likes this.
  14. jorgesd

jorgesd Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 28, 2018
    East Timor
    is the same reboot to rcm than atmosphere 0.8.3 came with?

15. hippy dave
    OP

hippy dave BBMB

Apr 30, 2012
    United Kingdom
    0.8.3 has a new function to reboot to a payload, or to rcm if the payload isn't present. It also includes an official homebrew to call the function.
    This unofficial homebrew calls a slightly older function that just reboots to rcm. So yeah it's been made slightly obsolete by atmosphere's cool new stuff.

jorgesd likes this.