Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
It's not really the compression that I have a problem with as I know that will probably be fixed in the final version. It's the downgraded framerate (60FPS vs. 30FPS) when I know that the 3DS can handle 60FPS Origins.
How can you be so sure of that? I know the 3DS is a pretty powerful handheld, but this game was primarily designed for systems like the PS3, Xbox 360 and PlayStation Vita. Running it in a lower resolution on the Wii is one thing, but rendering it twice to create a 3D effect on the 3DS is something else entirely.

But I do agree that the port seems to be worse than it could be. Disregarding the 30 fps, the game sometimes seems to loop sounds and stuff like that. It's really a shame, since the same game felt so fluid on the PS3.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
It's not really the compression that I have a problem with as I know that will probably be fixed in the final version. It's the downgraded framerate (60FPS vs. 30FPS) when I know that the 3DS can handle 60FPS Origins.
How can you be so sure of that? I know the 3DS is a pretty powerful handheld, but this game was primarily designed for systems like the PS3, Xbox 360 and PlayStation Vita. Running it in a lower resolution on the Wii is one thing, but rendering it twice to create a 3D effect on the 3DS is something else entirely.

But I do agree that the port seems to be worse than it could be. Disregarding the 30 fps, the game sometimes seems to loop sounds and stuff like that. It's really a shame, since the same game felt so fluid on the PS3.

While it does have to render the scenes twice for 3D, there is not a lot it has to render. Most of the characters and backgrounds are rendered as simple polygons. Rayman himself is probably made out of no more than 100 polygons, and that may be excessive. Texture sizes aren't a problem either, as their is no performance hit between a large and small texture, since it translates them into 0.0 to 1.0 in width/height. I want to think that it runs at this rate because they needed to compensate for using low-res textures to get the demo size down, so they had the GPU go into overtime with the blurring, resulting in them having to force to 30-fps. I hope that is the case, or even that this was an unoptimized version from months ago. Would be rather silly to announce the delay, and release the demo soon after, right?

D

Deleted_171835

OP
It's a 2D platformer with incredibly simplistic models and sprites. It should be easy to get this game running at 60FPS especially with the low resolution (400x240). Tri G and Revelations are much more demanding than this (with the former running at 60FPS in 3D).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1