Hardware Rather scathing piece by Polygon: Switch is in beta

jefffisher

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i'd expect that from forbes but polygon? jeez.
on a side note all forbes articles have actually been positive lately which is a huge surprise they almost never have anything good to say.
it's not even a good article the joycon thing is a minor annoyance at worst
and the virtual console who the fuck cares they only ever release 3 games at a time anyways i'm sure they're still just deciding on which 3 most people are glad they're focusing on indies.
i owned a ps4 for 11 months before buying my first game, for the switch i've already preordered 5 and since it's a gaming console games are what matter.

raystriker

The powers that be
Trophies
XP
Country
India
You're right. The Joy-Con having poor signal is just scepticism.
Maybe that is an issue. Its fixable probably. Every product has problems, the iPhone 4 had bad signal due to some metal strip or something- fixed via a software update. My point is, Switch hasn't been released yet. Nintendo might have already fixed it and is waiting for the release day to push the update out.
The part where he says Nintendo isn't willing to release info on how they plan to handle how they are going to handle VC purchases etc, doesn't mean the Switch isn't ready as a product. It takes time to plan and roll-out these things. If at all.

Transferring previously bought games is a service. It's all at Nintendo's mercy. Not exactly related to a product's readiness.

Last edited by raystriker,

xile6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Idk how i feel about that preview.
I know there is a few things nintendo hasnt answer but i dont feel that the switch is a test system.
I believe that they are just trying to slowly roll things out so that they dont mess anything up.
Im sure once the system is launch they will have a video or information on there site about all the questions we wanna know. This day one patch may be adding in and explaining all we need.
The joycon problem. I cant commit on because i dont have a switch in my hands and it could be a firmware problem. I dont remember where i heard it at but a few people have said that the bluetooth in the controller might not be outputting at full power. And its only cuts in and out when the signal is being.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i'd expect that from forbes but polygon? jeez.
on a side note all forbes articles have actually been positive lately which is a huge surprise they almost never have anything good to say.
it's not even a good article the joycon thing is a minor annoyance at worst
and the virtual console who the fuck cares they only ever release 3 games at a time anyways i'm sure they're still just deciding on which 3 most people are glad they're focusing on indies.
i owned a ps4 for 11 months before buying my first game, for the switch i've already preordered 5 and since it's a gaming console games are what matter.
The switch is by far the most I'm spending on gaming in one time period (other than parts for my PC). Pre-ordered 2 games, planning on getting three more on launch day (digital downloads), plus accessories, and more games later in march and april. I had my 3ds for 4 years with only a handful of games.

You're right. The Joy-Con having poor signal is just scepticism.

Although some journalists say they have the joycon problem, others note they haven't had any issue. We really don't currently know what is actually causing the problem. It could be interference of some sort, or a variety of other problems.
Along with that Nintendo hasn't been silent about the problem, and have stated they are looking into the joycon problem.

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im sure once the system is launch they will have a video or information on there site about all the questions we wanna know.
:rofl2:
No. No they won't.

They will only they answer questions they want to and in such a way that they cannot be pinned down.

yusuo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I kind of have to agree, the switch looks like a rushed product, there aren't that many games, there isn't a decent plan in place for multiple infrastructures and there is still key aspects of the console which haven't been learnt defined.

I'm as much of a fan boy as the majority of gbatemp members but Nintendo have rushed this to market in the hopes of making the wii u situation right

Reactions: kumikochan

xile6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
:rofl2:
No. No they won't.

They will only they answer questions they want to and in such a way that they cannot be pinned down.
Lol..
Your probably right we will have to find out the info on are own.
I dont know there so tight lip about stuff.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I kind of have to agree, the switch looks like a rushed product, there aren't that many games, there isn't a decent plan in place for multiple infrastructures and there is still key aspects of the console which haven't been learnt defined.

I'm as much of a fan boy as the majority of gbatemp members but Nintendo have rushed this to market in the hopes of making the wii u situation right
I would disagree with the assumption that it doesn't have many games. I haven't got an official number but based on all the games revealed to be coming out at launch (just recently Fast RMX, Snipperclips. and Shovel Knight being the recent ones) I would say it has about 20 or so games at launch. Which is a fairly standard amount of launch titles. The 360 had about 20 at launch as well based on my research.
Plus just because it has a lot of launch titles does not mean the console was well planned and prepared. The Wii U was a complete flop and it had a fairly large launch title list.
Along with that the Switch also has a pretty good release schedule throughout the year, so most people will probably be satisfied with the game list by fall and holiday 2017

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

orcid

Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
They should have waited for the real launch before writing such an article. They get a switch two weeks before launch for a first impression and know that there will be a day one update. They critize that online play will be avaible at Day one. Why is this a problem for the normal consumer who gets the Switch Day one and not weeks before.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
They whine about how many things we supposedly don't know about Switch, and then list one legitimate issue that will probably be solved on launch day. Seriously Polygon, just because your journalists are low-information fuckwits doesn't mean the majority of the consumer population is. I clearly know what I'm buying better than you know what you're reviewing.

Last edited by Xzi,
Reactions: TotalInsanity4

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They whine about how many things we don't know about Switch, and then list one legitimate issue that will probably be solved on launch day. Seriously Polygon, just because your journalists are low-information fuckwits doesn't mean the majority of the consumer population is. I clearly know what I'm buying better than you know what you're reviewing.
Even if the joycon problem isn't solved by the day one launch, I'm fairly certain they will fix it shortly after. And it seems to not be a big deal if you don't plan on completely covering the controller with your hand.

Reactions: Xzi

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: well then show them how to scratch it (this is a verbalase joke)