TheRapist.com
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
arctic_flame said:
Golfman560 said:
As for all the other stuff it looks top notch. The graphics card will probably be outdated soon since the GTX's are out and more are probably coming real soon, but you can always just toss a second in SLI.

No he can't.

Yeah I noticed that after I double checked the case.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It is funny that the case description says that you can fit SLI cards but there isn't a motherboard that would support it on any of the sites that I use that is in production. MSI used to have one with the nForce4 chipset which was a 939 motherboard, but they are extinct now and rather redundant in terms of specs. The only way you could do SLI graphics currently would be to have the onboard graphics of a board like this one and an independent card.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well I don't need a Raptor drive, they aren't cheap and lack the sufficient storage space I need which is a minimum 500GB, plus the speed is a bit much as I don't need that quick of RPM. Remember that I just need this for general purpose and light gaming, I am not too concerned about having a monster powerhouse machine, especially packed into such a small space.

ricera10

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is for the OP, if he wants to do dual graphics. There are no proper SLI mATX boards currently except X58 boards, so you'll have to do with ATI graphics cards if you're planning on going dual graphics cards. Or upgrade your processor to an i7 series.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?...N82E16813136055

A comparable ATI card to the 9800 gt would be the HD 4830. The HD 48xx series is relatively cheap right now, so I would look into upgrading to a HD 4870 or HD 4890 if you can afford it.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ewww ATI is terrible and there is no point in doing Crossfire or SLI, when you can only get 2x the performance with two extremely powerful cards, that is a waste. And yes you can do SLI with a microATX motherboard so long as it has a good built in graphics chipset.

I decided to go midtower anyway, cases and motherboards are better and cheaper, they will be able to fit all the upgrades I will eventually need like hot swappable HDD's, card reader and fan controls.

Pyrofyr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DSGamer64 said:
G.Skill 4GB DDR2 1066 PC28500 RAM
Seagate Barracuda 7200 500GB HDD 16MB cache
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0Ghz CPU
Gigabyte GA-G41M Micro ATX motherboard
Thermaltake LANBOX microATX case
Raidmax 630watt modular PSU
Zotac GeForce 9800GT 512MB (HDCP form factor)

I am planning on building something that will fit on my desk since I don't have a lot of space, nor do I need a big desktop in the first place, plus I like to do LAN parties and gaming laptops are so unreliable.
Pretty good.

Not a fan of Seagate's, I'd prefer a WD Caviar Black (What I have), cheap, efficient, yet to hear of any problems with them, and mine runs like a beast.

The CPU is EXACTLY what I have (Wolfdale).

The MOBO looks fine, I prefer ATX to microATX, but that's me.

The GPU, I'm a fan of the ATIs, I personally have a Radeon 4850 ATM, runs great. No complaints.

PSU will work fine for you want it for, but I grabbed a 900w myself 'just in case'.

Your box is just fine, hell it's pretty much what I have (I paid 700 bucks for mine, and it runs like a beast). I give it a 9/10.

Lodis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DSGamer64 said:
G.Skill 4GB DDR2 1066 PC28500 RAM
Seagate Barracuda 7200 500GB HDD 16MB cache
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0Ghz CPU
Gigabyte GA-G41M Micro ATX motherboard
Thermaltake LANBOX microATX case
Raidmax 630watt modular PSU
Zotac GeForce 9800GT 512MB (HDCP form factor)

I am planning on building something that will fit on my desk since I don't have a lot of space, nor do I need a big desktop in the first place, plus I like to do LAN parties and gaming laptops are so unreliable.

The right gaming laptops are not unreliable at all, they are just very expensive when compared to what you can get with a desktop. I have an NP8662 gaming laptop that has no problems, temperatures are fine and sometimes it has been on running programs for hours over night. Others have had the previous model for years and it is still going fine.

It is just recommended to give the internals a clean out after over a year to clear dust from the fan fins, heatsink etc.

Lodis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
da_head said:
not bad at all! should serve u nicely for the next few years
smile.gif
and good call gettin a core 2 duo, its pretty useless getting quad core now.

It isn't useless to get a Quad Core at all, with a Quad, Dual core optimised games will still run just fine providing that you have a decent GPU, games that are multi threaded will take advantage of the extra cores and many applications can use the extra cores and you can do more multitasking. Not to mention the future games that will come out that will really take advantage of each core.

You can also set the affinity so that programs only use specific cores. Unless the price of a Quad is significantly higher than a Core2Duo, there really is no reason to say that it is useless.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the core 2 series is getting discontinued in favor the the i7 and the soon i5 (rumored name) which will be released later this year

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah I noticed, no matter though because since I am going with a mid tower case and a Gigabyte motherboard, I decided that since the GTS 250 is slightly better for performance over the 9800GT and the GTS 250 is actually cheaper, I am going to go with one of those. Also the cases and motherboards for ATX are far cheaper, I would rather save some money and be able to get better components and build a slightly better machine. I refuse to go ATI for graphics though, I have disliked their cards for a while now and I know they have a history of heating problems with their DX10 cards.

Board:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?...N82E16813128359
GT 250:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?...N82E16814130468

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dont have any heating problems with my 4870

runs about 45C idle and about 60-65C load and thats with only 30% RPM on the fan

87918841.png

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I need my computer to be running at no more then 30 Celcius so I will have lots of cooling running since it can be hot as hell in my room and the last thing I want is for my computer components to be running hot. I plan on getting a few cooling fans for my graphics card and hard drive just to keep them running cool as much as possible.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
30C is a bit unrealistic
unless you have liquid cooling

these gfx cards today are rated up to 110-120C before the capacitors start blowing
the CPU's (core 2 duo) limit are around 75C

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I thought about going for a Quad Core, but if the Core 2 series is getting discontinued, maybe the Quad Cores prices will go down. With a mid tower as well, I get more space for cooling a faster CPU. A friend of mine has a huge ass heatsink for his Quad Core CPU which is overclocked to 4 Ghz and the fan sounds like a jet engine, I don't intend on overclocking though and there are lots of cooling options for a larger case.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
    Veho @ Veho: @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip. +2