Rate my Site!

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Bill Gates03, Feb 7, 2007.

?

What would you rate my new site?

1. 10

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 9

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 8

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 7

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 6

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Feb 7, 2007

Rate my Site! by Bill Gates03 at 5:23 AM (1,548 Views / 0 Likes) 19 replies

1. Bill Gates03
    OP

Newcomer Bill Gates03 Member

United States
    How would you rate my new site? Is it designed fairly well?

Click my siggy to go to site!

2. mthrnite

Former Staff mthrnite So it goes.

United States
    It functions.
    Needs more pieces of flair.
    Beat's a little off, can't quite dance to it.
    I give it a 3.

3. Bill Gates03
    OP

United States
    Well really I am not trying to have an amazing looking site I guess. Just one that is simple and functional that supplies directly towards what the person wants. It fits that need pretty well doesn't it?

4. tshu

Member tshu On epic journey, brb.

Canada
    I'm just trying to figure out what is with the Santa hat, and paper crowns from christmas poppers?

5. mthrnite

United States
    I was wondering about the santa hat too.

..but, when ya wanna cheat at runescape, and maybe click on a google ad or eight...

..this is a site you can go to!

I gave it a three, because at least there's some information to be gleened.

If I had a autocutter...

I'd autocut in the morning..

I'd autocut in the evening..

All over this laaaaaand.

6. rest0re

Member rest0re GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Finland
    eeeh [​IMG] you better make blog instead [​IMG]

7. dOoBiX

Banned dOoBiX Banned

United States
    not bad... lol not great either.

8. Bill Gates03
    OP

United States
    That signifies the wealth you will make by just using these autbots to grind levels for you, therefore you can get rich.

9. mthrnite

United States
    So, Mr. Gates,
    Please don't get me wrong, as this is a sincere question:
    What drives you to want to exploit this game to such a degree. Is Runescape no fun without circumventing the rules. Does what you advocate lessen the enjoyment of the game for others that don't cheat? Is the game too hard to play without cheating?

Sorry, I'm just curious, I don't play the game myself and don't know much about it. I just know a lot of folks take a rather dim view of cheating on online games, so I'd like to get your perspective on it.
    Thanks in advance!
    -mthr

10. Verocity

Member Verocity Ö!

United States

Runescape stuff. lol... The site I give a 3 as well. Black backgrounds are no longer in thats old lycos geocities crap. You need to have some White and nice accents. Sorry but not meaning to be harsh, im a webdesigner so I know its tough to start doing webpage design.

Edit: http://www.nfz.v8web.com Heres an example of a website I made when I was 15. It takes under a month but it looks really good, I had created everything from top to bottom. My theme was on a game I played a couple years back called Descent 3. To build a successfull well working website you need to draw it all out and work from there. [​IMG] good luck.

11. teh_raf3

Member teh_raf3 Whatever suits you

Belgium
    Is it working? Yes
    Is there design? No

Stuff to loose:

Ads
    Font
    Buttons

Stuff to work on:

Design
    Colors

12. kernelPANIC

Member kernelPANIC GBAtemp Fan

Spain
    People still use geocities? You might want to get a blog on blospot or some other place and disguise it as a webpage.
    Reminds me of that first webpage Homer made for some reason...

13. Veho

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
    To sum it all up in one single answer... YES.

The most common distribution of time in RPGs looks like this:

Fighting: 8 %
    Diplomacy: 4%
    Lockpicking: 4%
    Solving puzzles:4%
    Mining for fish: 80%.

Like it or not, most RPG's have you spend hours and hours performing menial tasks of shuffling through grass to find hidden stuff, mine for gold, collect herbs, pick fruit, everything that makes Animall Crossing so great, but what makes RPGs boring and mind numbing. To advance to another level and be able to fight tougher enemies, you have to spend several hours poking the ground in search of stuff (generic things of value, but no use whatsoever), that you can exchange for the items you need to continue your quest.

Automatic script routines do all the mining and fishing and cotton-picking and shuffling for you, so that you can concentrate on the fun 20% of the game.

14. Burbruee

Member Burbruee GBAtemp Regular

Sweden
    A word of advice: CSS.
    Use a better font, try Verdana.
    Work on your colors.
    A solid black background with white/red text is not the way to go.

I you want it dark, try something towards the dark grey instead.
    Here, take a look at my website: http://swedishvikings.mine.nu/

15. lookout

Member lookout GBAtemp Board Room

United Kingdom
    Good Start Bill Gates03 ~ geocities.com host are painful who care it free...

Need some image and improve layout..

I give it a 3.

16. mthrnite

United States
    Ok, that clears a bit up. So this doesn't really affect others in the game, because it's such a drudgery that everybody cheats, no? Are all online RPG's really like this? Seems like some developer would eventually get a clue if so. I'd guess some MORPGs are worse offenders than others though.

Sorry I'm so clueless.. right now I don't really have the time to invest in such things. I would like to check something out that wasn't too intense, and not too boring either. Is there a happy medium?

Man I'm just Mr. Questionmark today! Feel free to ignore me, and go on picking apart Mr. Gates' site [​IMG]

17. greyhound

Member greyhound GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    can someone explain google ads? do you get paid if a certain amount of people access your site and therefore may have seen the ad? or does the ad have to be clicked?

18. Mehdi

Member Mehdi Lemonade by Psyfira

Netherlands
    it makes me want to cut myself

19. Psyfira

Member Psyfira Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue

United Kingdom
    It's not groundbreaking but it does it's job. Not bad for a first website. [​IMG] Text is legible and easy to read which is a good. (I've been looking at MySpace recently, apparantly it takes more than common sense to pick sane text-background combos).

At the top of the page the title "Runescape Bots" is on there twice. Why? Ditch the text duplicate and make the text on the banner image larger so it's readable.

Navigation design could be improved by keeping subcategory menus visible (where needed). For example clicking on "RS Autobots" brings up a category menu. Selecting something from this list takes you to a page where this menu disappears, and you have to keep going back to the list page to change category. It's not a fatal flaw, but it's a pain in the ass and it's easy to get lost and forget where you are.

Why is there a large black space on the right? (or are you putting a sidebar in there later?)

Left menu's minimum width is set too small (if you make the window narrow the menu text jumps around to fit)

The google ads blend in too well and look like part of your site content. Is there any way to make it a bit more obvious that they're not?

20. Bill Gates03
    OP

United States
    Ok, thanks for all the feedback, it has really taught me some things!

1. The blank space on right is mostly to give room for the dumb geocities ad bar. If this site pays for itself enough for me to buy a domain, then I won't worry about those ads.

2. Yes, I was thinking about adding the subcategory menus into my site, but I just wanted to get it up and running first.

3. I researched google ads etc and it said that if you can get the ads to fit into your page, the more likely they will be clicked.

4. If I only have the RuneScape Bots banner at the top, and take out the text, will that lessen my search results? Don't they look at what is in h2 or h1 on your site?

5. So black background is really bad now? White background is better? What color text for links and stuff?

6. Google ads- yes I get a few cents if someone clicks on an ad or does a search (at the bottom of my page).

I am not making this site just to make money off ads, as I know I won't make much at all, but maybe just enough to support a domain fee. I actually have another site at http://www.journeyofthering.com It is more advanced and actually uses php and css.