XP
Country
Belgium
932613_74951_front.jpg

My first review of a PSP game; it's the first PSP game I ever finished
yaypsp.gif
(probably the first time I use that emoticon appropriately too
wink.gif
) And because most, if not all, PSP games have loading times, I'll add a new category to my reviews (for now, that'll only be for PSP games)

This review was written entirely (except for the screenshots) using Moonshell2's text editor and not checked for spelling mistakes afterwards, so excuse me if there are some
tongue.gif

Menus: At first, they might seem very complicated, but they're actually quite simple to use. You have a bunch of weapons and gadgets and you'll often have to switch between them. When you first play the game, it'll take a while to switch between weapons and gadgets, but once you get the hang of it, you'll be able to do it in no time!
biggrin.gif
8/10

Loading times: Quite long, but while the stage is loading, you see a couple of scenes where your spaceship is flying from one planet to another. Nothing much, but at least it keeps you entertained. Also, occasionally a bit of lag occurs (on the actual UMD
ohmy.gif
). 8/10

Story: Ratchet and Clank finally have some "me-time", when a little schoolgirl pops up and asks them to do some heroic things, for her school project. She knows where they can fight robots, and Ratchet follows. All of a sudden, the girl is kidnapped and the two heroes do everything in their might to save the girl. However, as they travel from planet to planet, trying to find out more about the whereabouts of the girl, they discover she is actually a robot, driven by little creatures called the Technomites. Those Technomites aim for world Domination (
wink.gif
) by observing Ratchets every move and copying them, then make their robots use those moves. The story is really good and funny, with a bunch of plot twists, and it's told through a lot of (quite long) cutscenes. You'll definitely LYAO (laugh your ass off) when certain things happen to Clank
tongue.gif
9.5/10

Gameplay: Simple, yet effective. To attack enemies, Ratchet can swing his wrench with the square button (goddamn Sony, why can't you use letters instead of symbols) or shoot with one of the many guns/use a gadget with the O button. Quick-selecting another weapon/gadget happens by holding down the triangle button, so a little menu comes up in which you can choose from 8 weapons/gadgets. However, this doesn't give you access to all of the weapons and gadgets, so you'll have to open the main menu with the START button and choose the weapon or gadget you want. You can also set which weapons/gadgets should show up in the Quick Select menu, in a way you think is more convenient. You can jump with the X button, run around with the analog nub and strafe with the directional buttons. The L and R buttons are used for camera movement. To enter first-person view, you press Select, although you only really need this once, in the tutorial level. You can also play as Clank in some levels. Same controls as Ratchet, but because Clank's small he can't hold weapons. He can, however, control 'Gadgebots'. They're small robots that do whatever Clank tells them to. You can tell them to Attack, Wait, Follow or Enter something. If they are destroyed, they will respawn at the place you found them. 9.5/10

Graphics: I have only one thing to say about the graphics: they're absolutely delicious. It's as if you were playing on a PS2, they're incredibly beautiful and smooth. Believe me, the screenshots included do the beauty of the game no good. Also, the cutscenes look great too, but the actual game looks better because it has slightly more vibrant colours. 10/10

Music: Great, mostly very upbeat music, the only problem I have with it is that it's so damn silent, even with the volume maxed... The sound effects are good, but nothing special. 8/10

Replay value: High. When you finish the game, you can do something like a New Game +, starting from scratch, but keeping all your weapons and armour. There will also be a new weapon available in the shop, called the RYNO, the most powerful weapon in the game. However, it costs a lot of Bolts (the in-game currency, you get them by defeating enemies). When you've upgraded your weapons to their most powerful forme, new, even better versions of those weapons will be available in the shop. You can upgrade those to their most powerful forme too, but that'll take very long, most likely a couple of playthroughs in the game if you don't pay a visit to previously visited planets. Even more, you'll be able to find new kinds of armour every playthrough, until you've collected them all. 8.5/10

Overall: Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters is a very good game, you should definitely try it out! 9/10

Screenies: (Source: GameFAQS)

gfs_74951_2_1_mid.jpg

Fighting some robots with the wrench.

932613_20070117_screen019.jpg

Playing as Clank, the robots following you are the Gadgebots.

932613_20070220_screen006.jpg

I'MA FIRIN' MAH LAZ0R!

tanvm07

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Why can'y i quick reply. 0.0 Anyway that was one of my first and fave all time psp games yey!!!!!!!!! You would probly like secret agent clank too

rockstar99

Hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Oh yeah this is one hell of a game im currently playing it and im half way through and its hard to put down!
Good review... hope to see more.

MegaAce™

Steal back your future.
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Nice review Nate.
biggrin.gif

strawhat-san said:
i love this game its really a good game

but didnt you think the skyboard challenges sucked

also the end boss was kind of difficult

I think that's why it's the endboss
ohmy.gif

rockstar99

Hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
strawhat-san said:

Isnt it like that in most good games XD

EDIT:Damn you Megan
tongue.gif

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
strawhat-san said:

Skyboard wasn't bad. I didn't like the Giant Clank spaceship battles though.

End boss was cool, just jump whenever he sends out an energy wave.

@Megan: And to think I typed all of this on the DS
ohmy.gif

rockstar99

Hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Overlord Nadrian said:
strawhat-san said:

Skyboard wasn't bad. I didn't like the Giant Clank spaceship battles though.

End boss was cool, just jump whenever he sends out an energy wave.

@Megan: And to think I typed all of this on the DS
ohmy.gif
WTF Really?

EDIT:sorry I missed that line.. how long did it take?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs