Raspberry Pi-powered retro DIY console 'Lyra' launches Kickstarter campaign

lyra.PNG
Creoqode, a London-based company known for making DIY gadgets, is launching its new project on the crowdfunding platform Kickstarter. Named Lyra this handheld device is powered by a Raspberry Pi CM3L (Compute Module 3 Lite) that claims to "virtually emulate any game console of the classic era" (think RetroPie). The Lyra comes in two different versions; a fully assembled one at £179 and a DIY version at £149 (somewhat akin the MAKERbuino). Both versions of the console boast the following specs:
  • SOC: Broadcom BCM2837B0, Cortex-A53 (ARMv8) 64-bit SoC
  • CPU: 1.4GHz 64-bit quad-core ARM Cortex-A53 CPU
  • RAM: 1GB LPDDR2 SDRAM
  • Display: 5" TFT LCD 800 x 480 Resolution
  • Video: DPI Interface & HDMI
  • Audio: Integrated Speaker, 3.5 mm Audio Output & HDMI
  • USB: Micro USB 2.0
  • Memory: 16 GB Micro SD Card. Upgradable to any memory size.
  • Battery: 3000 mAh LiPo
While the handheld packs a 5 inch, 800 x 480 display, it can also be hooked to a monitor via HDMI and since it operates via a Raspberry Pi board, Lyra can double as a personal computer.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

While situating itself on the pricey end of the DIY spectrum, the Lyra is worth keeping an eye out for, especially if you are into DIY-ing or want to learn more about the intricacies of video game hardware and software development. The handheld will come with a comprehensive tutorial series guiding users about hardware, software and assembly.

Founder of Creoqode, Cem Eltutar, says that “While bringing back the nostalgia of classic video gaming in your pocket, Lyra also provides a fundamental education about hardware and software. Assembling Lyra makes users familiar with the components of a game console and their working principles. Installing an OS and being able to code video games from scratch provides the first step towards software design.”

Of note, Lyra's Kickstarter campaign has nearly doubled its £30,000 goal at the time of writing, meaning that the product will come to fruition.

What do you think of the Lyra? Will you be interested in DIY-ing one for yourself?

:arrow: Lyra Kickstarter Campaign

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
They should have gone with a slightly larger console shell with six front buttons (ABC XYZ) for games like Street Fighter II, instead of relying on the old shoulder buttons design that every "official" portable console uses. Since it's for retro-gaming, that would have made sense. That would have made me back up the project.

Reactions: 2Hack

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder if it'll be upgradable once the eventual CM4L comes out. And it looks spiffy, but I'm always hesitant to pay that much for pi powered kits.

All depends on the quality of the controls and screen, I suppose. And how durable it is.

(150 pounds is around 184 US dollars as of right now, for those not wanting to Google it)

Last edited by osaka35,

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
It's a tiny bit pricey IMO, you can probably put together a similar kit that uses a full Pi for a bit cheaper, but this would probably have better build quality than what you can get right now so eh. Would be interesting to see if it'd run with the eventual release of the Compute Module 4.

Jiehfeng

The One
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sri Lanka
It's a tiny bit pricey IMO, you can probably put together a similar kit that uses a full Pi for a bit cheaper, but this would probably have better build quality than what you can get right now so eh. Would be interesting to see if it'd run with the eventual release of the Compute Module 4.

Even building your own Pi handheld is surprisingly expensive once you try it yourself. The Pi is cheap enough, but as you start ordering other parts for your build, the total actually goes over $100. But yeah, you said a "bit" cheaper so you may be still right. In any case building your own handheld is fun stuff.

Also this handheld has no analog stick or triggers, that's a big no from me.

Last edited by Jiehfeng,

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Even building your own Pi handheld is surprisingly expensive once you try it yourself. The Pi is cheap enough, but as you start ordering other parts for your build, the total actually goes over $100. But yeah, you said a "bit" cheaper so you may be still right. In any case building your own handheld is fun stuff.
There are actually some DIY kits you can find that are less than $100 (we actually have a review for one coming up soon!), though they're not exactly the same as what you'd get with this particular build.

But yeah, it will depend on how you decide to design the thing, what screen you want to use, etc etc. Could probably get it all done with a 3D printed case for like $150 max, for something with a similar design as this, so it's not that big of an upcharge.

Reactions: gnmmarechal

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Just seems like a pre-release version of the Nintendo Switch Mini. (The price.) Which will outclass this thing once that one can be hacked. Which, I know for a fact it will after a while it will.
It certainly won't. No fusee gelee and no pegaswitch.

Jiehfeng

The One
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sri Lanka
There are actually some DIY kits you can find that are less than $100 (we actually have a review for one coming up soon!), though they're not exactly the same as what you'd get with this particular build.

But yeah, it will depend on how you decide to design the thing, what screen you want to use, etc etc. Could probably get it all done with a 3D printed case for like $150 max, for something with a similar design as this, so it's not that big of an upcharge.

Looking forward to it. I tried building one myself I wanted a decent size of a screen, 5 inch touch screen iirc, a rechargable battery pack, a board for handling the controller/analog input, wires, etc. It all eventually went over $100 and I still haven't finished the project due to 3D printer issues. I do hope that DIY kit has all button/analog input and a decent size screen, all to fit a raspberry 3/4, not a zero.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I like the design and shape of the console.

Even building your own Pi handheld is surprisingly expensive once you try it yourself. The Pi is cheap enough, but as you start ordering other parts for your build, the total actually goes over $100.
Eh, yes and no. Depending on the specs, and if you're comfortable with soldering, you can cobble one together for $20 (using a $5 Pi Zero):

https://www.instructables.com/id/20-Portable-Raspberry-Pi-Game-Console/

Of course this is using a 320x240 screen and the cheapest components, if you want anything better the price goes up, it's all down to what you need/what you're willing to settle for.

That being said soldering is a major hurdle for a lot of people; "raw" components you solder yourself are several times cheaper than neat and tidy plug-in components, so the above example would cost you over $50 (at least) if you want to avoid soldering and want to just plug everything into the mobo and go. It all adds up.

Jiehfeng

The One
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sri Lanka
I like the design and shape of the console.

Eh, yes and no. Depending on the specs, and if you're comfortable with soldering, you can cobble one together for $20 (using a $5 Pi Zero):

https://www.instructables.com/id/20-Portable-Raspberry-Pi-Game-Console/

Of course this is using a 320x240 screen and the cheapest components, if you want anything better the price goes up, it's all down to what you need/what you're willing to settle for.

That being said soldering is a major hurdle for a lot of people; "raw" components you solder yourself are several times cheaper than neat and tidy plug-in components, so the above example would cost you over $50 (at least) if you want to avoid soldering and want to just plug everything into the mobo and go. It all adds up.

I just bought a rechargable battery with the controller and a separate board to handle the controller, just to save time. It still requires soldering though. Personally I'd never try a Pi Zero build when I can get more emulation of consoles with a 3 or 4, and I dislike tiny screens like that. :P

I'm curious though, what plug in components are you referring to? I think you'd have a hard time fitting them into a case, and most of those kinds of components are usually for connecting to a TV, not a handheld. At least the ones I've seen, but it's been a while.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.