Ras-Pi Idea external dvd drives?

K3Nv2

Village Idiot
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For anyone into Pi, would it be possible to take a old Sata dvd drive, grab a sata to usb port and use it as a external remote and control the dvd playback via bluetooth?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So you want to use the rasp pi as the backend of a DVD player? You will need to buy MPEG2 decoding http://www.raspberrypi.com/mpeg-2-license-key/ and you might need to fiddle with the DVD playback options/install an addon in XBMC (that said a lot of that was several months ago and new openelec/raspmc are nice) but no reason it should not work.

I would probably be more inclined to rip the DVDs instead but to to each their own.

K3Nv2

Village Idiot
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So you want to use the rasp pi as the backend of a DVD player? You will need to buy MPEG2 decoding http://www.raspberrypi.com/mpeg-2-license-key/ and you might need to fiddle with the DVD playback options/install an addon in XBMC (that said a lot of that was several months ago and new openelec/raspmc are nice) but no reason it should not work.

I would probably be more inclined to rip the DVDs instead but to to each their own.

Yes I usually do use copies though sometimes popping in a dvd is just a time consumer, wonder if blueray would be a possibility, Suppose instead of Bluetooth I could usb ir remotes and sync it with Pi.

I dont own a Pi yet still looking into it rather I should go ouya pi or Android pc

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Blu ray. To an extent (though again you will probably have to buy a codec or two as blu ray has several video standards) and I am not sure what goes with security (probably not great given it was not trashed as soundly as CSS has been).

IR remotes. I have used several with raspberry pis and have several happy customers using one. You also have network options with XBMC (webserver or dedicated application) and there is control via HDMI (HDMI CEC though every company has their own name for it).

The pi itself (via something like openelec or raspmc)... great for "scene" stuff, most stuff the average person using normal programs will rip and network play. Start wanting youtube, blip or big boy streaming (netflix, catch up TV services and so forth) then not so much. You can dual boot and have something nice for internet too. Two USB ports can be a bit limiting though hubs exist for a reason I guess.

Ouya. Still a bit early (read XBMC is clunky as hell on it and nothing compared to pi or PC or apparently even straight android) but should have some of the streaming services at some point in the future.

"Android pc"
What are you accusing of being such a device?
You can get nice small machines and if it runs proper windows then you are laughing (not least of all because when using "portable" devices you can expect to pay for bad ports of the streaming services). You can do exceptionally well with linux too but linux flash is not so good as it might be and silverlight is even worse.

K3Nv2

Village Idiot
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Blu ray. To an extent (though again you will probably have to buy a codec or two as blu ray has several video standards) and I am not sure what goes with security (probably not great given it was not trashed as soundly as CSS has been).

IR remotes. I have used several with raspberry pis and have several happy customers using one. You also have network options with XBMC (webserver or dedicated application) and there is control via HDMI (HDMI CEC though every company has their own name for it).

The pi itself (via something like openelec or raspmc)... great for "scene" stuff, most stuff the average person using normal programs will rip and network play. Start wanting youtube, blip or big boy streaming (netflix, catch up TV services and so forth) then not so much. You can dual boot and have something nice for internet too. Two USB ports can be a bit limiting though hubs exist for a reason I guess.

Ouya. Still a bit early (read XBMC is clunky as hell on it and nothing compared to pi or PC or apparently even straight android) but should have some of the streaming services at some point in the future.

"Android pc"
What are you accusing of being such a device?
You can get nice small machines and if it runs proper windows then you are laughing (not least of all because when using "portable" devices you can expect to pay for bad ports of the streaming services). You can do exceptionally well with linux too but linux flash is not so good as it might be and silverlight is even worse.

Not accusing anything just don't know what the best thing to get, I know Pi's open source so I figure more devices may work with it over Android PC's, I'd want a android pc just because you can manually install APKs and some have nice specs with 1.6ghz and 2gbs of ram.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse