Rare: Kameo should have been "scrapped"

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Juanmatron, Sep 8, 2010.

Sep 8, 2010
  1. Juanmatron
    OP

Member Juanmatron Slater Color

Spain
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] Source

I wonder what is the image that Microsoft always had about their audience to think internally Kameo failure is due to the image. For an adult who likes video games should not matter who has the game aspect, since it is one thing the game is designed and intended for childrens and another thing is the presentation of the game. In any case, this is just a demonstration of the global disease suffered by the sector.

The obvious answer is Kameo was a bad game, instead of taking them and recognize it removed the excuse of the presentation by stating that Xbox players did not accept the game for his appearance. Actually, Kameo was a fiasco because it was developed by Rare in the Microsoft ecosystem (read Dean Takahashi's book about the development of 360, is very revealing) was treated as a group of artists who could do what they wanted, that led them to be a group of studies instead of focusing on developing specific products to take the market is devoted to experiment. So when Microsoft need games for the console launch Rare was forced to launch their experiments to the market.

This may seem harsh from the point of view of developers, you must keep in mind that if you created a product with specific characteristics and has achieved success by those, you can not pretend that what has been achieved thanks to you , losing the world view is the worst that can happen to a developer and when this begins to include ideas in their previous creations with the simple excuse "is my creation and I have every right", then it is when you start the descent into hell. When Microsoft bought Rare for what they were doing at that time was to buy a company that had specialized in making games mirror at what Nintendo did. This meant to expand the market of Xbox and nurture with interesting licenses, instead that, Microsoft took a bunch of "artists" who were then in decline.

2. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    I thought Kameo was decent, Grabbed By The Ghoulies should have been the game they cancelled.

3. Juanmatron
    OP

Member Juanmatron Slater Color

Spain
    I´m sure you sign in that I informed and you erased (for sign in before everyone) [​IMG].

4. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    I'm sorry I saw words but sadly I couldn't make sense of what you said.

5. tk_saturn

Member tk_saturn GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    I brought Kameo, decent game. It's not like Rare have had any big runaway hits in the last few years, so I don't see the need to slate it.

6. Master Mo

Member Master Mo F.R.E.E.

Germany
    I thought the same [​IMG]

But why do you think Rare said that Kameo should have been "scrapped"? They said they would have liked to "scrap everything and start again". IMO a huge difference, since all they meant was that the artistic direction they went with the game didn`t fit the audience and that they regret not redoing it for the new audience...

7. SPH73

Banned SPH73 Banned

United States
    Pretty much my feelings on the subject.

I thought Kameo was pretty underrated.