Rapper Says GTA V Stole His Music

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Kouen Hasuki, Oct 11, 2013.

1. Kouen Hasuki
    OP

Kouen Hasuki Kouen the Cyber Husky

Jan 9, 2013
    Norway
    Gaming Bunker
    [​IMG]

huh wow, though it seems the majority of people think its a publicity stunt by the rapper but the case may have some merit.

Thoughts?

Source: Kotaku

2. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    The no name tard should have enjoyed the free publicity.
    They'll probably just patch out his songs if the case goes anywhere. Problem solved, no more for no name rapper.

3. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    NYC
  4. DinohScene

DinohScene Dino May Fire

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Ofcourse they did.
    GTA 5 stole my dream of having San Andreas in HD.

I demand Rockstar will give me all shares of the company and pay me every cent GTA 5 brings in.

5. calmwaters

calmwaters Cat's best friend

May 27, 2013
    United States
    happy land
    Fake. Some people will do anything to get attention from the media.

BAHIM Z 360 and Kouen Hasuki like this.
  6. jargus

jargus GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 11, 2007
    United States
    My guess is that his label approved the use of the song and word never got back to the wrapper.

7. Depravo

Depravo KALSARIKÄNNIT

Global Moderator
    GBAtemp Patron
    Depravo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 13, 2008
    Purgatory
    How can the rapper be sure it's his music? I mean it all sounds the same, doesn't it? :P

Warning: Spoilers inside!

McHaggis, bowser, EZ-Megaman and 10 others like this.
  8. RchUncleSkeleton

RchUncleSkeleton Skeletron 9000

Feb 2, 2009
    United States
    California, USA
    Rappers don't create music, they speak rapidly over music created by someone else...

9. BORTZ

BORTZ "Another stunning Van Gogh"

Supervisor
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    Unfortunate this is all too common. But giving an ultimatum to a company that made what has been called "possibily the game of the decade" or even "generation" is a losing proposition. Thanks to patent trolls, this guys probably has no case. But what do I know. But have any of you ever heard this argument by someone in real life?

I was working for a homeless soup shelter quite a few years back in 05 during a 30 hour famine for my youth group. Homeless people everywhere. We were serving them all probably the only hot meal they would get this week. As I was serving one of them, he noticed my GBA in my pocket and asked if I liked video games. without waiting for an answer, he proceeded to tell me about how much he hated those "Fuckers" over at "Madden" games. I asked him why all the hate?

"They stole my idea for Madden 06"

10. ComeTurismO

ComeTurismO CTO

Sep 18, 2011
    Canada
    4:54 PM
    Mad GTA 5 player reporting in.

WHAT? No-no-no-no-no. First of... Okay, Rockstar did take his two pieces of music and added it in the game, but he should be happy? Why is he a music composer and a rapper? If he raps, and its out here on the real world, whats the problem of it being in a game? I mean, if other people on YT upload music videos of whatever songs, i'm pretty sure there would be his too. But why is he bitching for GTA V?

Secondly, HOW THE HECK IS RAP:
    "MUSIC" "A SONG"
    *a true rapper would be Eminem. :D

11. calmwaters

calmwaters Cat's best friend

May 27, 2013
    United States
    happy land
    Only he has the right to publish his music. No one else has the right to advertise his music except for him. (It's amazing that he's even popular.)

12. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    You say it's a joke
    yet you're 100% correct.

13. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    [​IMG]

srs talk for srs people

ipwndeveloper and SuzieJoeBob like this.
  14. Terenigma

Terenigma Terenigma everywhere

Nov 10, 2008
    Earth
    Who cares? All the music in the game is god awful anyways. Let him take credit so everyone knows who to blame for the terrible ear polution we are forced to listen to everytime we step into a new car. Im just glad it has a "no radio" option.

15. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Rappers, euphemism for butt-hurt trolls hellbent on getting royalties

16. FireEmblemGuy

FireEmblemGuy Celebrating a decade of shitposting

Jul 6, 2007
    United States
    Michigan, USA
    Gotta love how everyone's hating on this guy for his genre or relative (un)popularity. If a track or two by one of your favorite musicians was used without the permission of the musician, record label, or other copyright holders was used in a game without any sort of permission, you wouldn't be calling them lazy copyright trolls or ungrateful whiners. Asking for unsold copies of the game to be destroyed might be going a bit far, but then again that's probably what you'd ask of anyone making money off of any unauthorized sales of your copyrighted works. More likely if there's any merit to this there'll be a settlement that allows the game to stay as-is or removes the music in a mandatory patch.

All that said, I don't know the artist, or who holds the power to authorize that music to be used in game, or whether or not it was actually authorized, but I'm interested in seeing how this turns out.

EZ-Megaman, CanuckBuck, NEP and 2 others like this.
  17. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    You might want to expand that to every type of artist ever and a significant percentage thereof at that. Now this is not without good reason as taking the piss when it comes to paying artists for their work is a popular pastime and has been for hundreds of years.

Back on topic and here I thought GBAtemp's general knowledge of IP law was improving following previous farces... oh well. If Rockstar did the deed, and did not at least have an end run around it (it could be the label owns the songs), then this could get messy. I am drawn to wonder how it might play out in a world of game patches/title updates.

I tried looking up the firm handling the case to see what they have done before and I got back a bunch of listings for a trademark they filed, another trademark and the results of a SEO person that knew their trade. I lack a proper legal search engine at this point in time though and those things are typically quite expensive.

EZ-Megaman and gamefan5 like this.
  18. RchUncleSkeleton

RchUncleSkeleton Skeletron 9000

Feb 2, 2009
    United States
    California, USA
    While I did claim that Rappers don't create music, he could very well be a songwriter as well but that's not the point. If he owns copyright on his work then he is legally entitled to compensation if another company uses it without his permission and he definitely does have the right to deny anyone the ability to use his work in something commercially sold. If someone used my music in their commercial product you can bet your ass I'd seek compensation.

19. tbgtbg

tbgtbg Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky

Nov 27, 2006
    United States
    How ironic, someone stealing music FROM a rapper, usually it's the rappers stealing sampling music.

WRONG

I like Metallica, but you should've heard the names I called Lars back during that Napster thingy. Trolls and whiners would've been a lot nicer.

20. Canonbeat234

Canonbeat234 Redeemed Temper

Sep 24, 2008
    Off/T: Well I am not surprise, majority of people here thinks rap is stupid, lifeless, and no moral building. While This aspect is true, I can say on a few can challenge me that today's music is bland and repetitive. There are hidden gems of music out there that are genuine and original, I applaud them for being creative and not lazy with the potential they have to show it off.

On/T: The rapper does not realize that GTA series does not teach about integrity. So the jokes are on him for being so naive about the music industry and underestimate the power of corruption from within the media. He complains about his songs being used inside a game that made over 40 million in one day compare to his albums being sold it by how many units? Personally to me he should take it as a grain of salt and let it be gaining popularity over a game music soundtrack instead of his own soundtrack.