Kouen Hasuki

Coffee Addict
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
ku-bigpic.jpg

Grand Theft Auto V is packed with tunes. But according to rapper and music producer Daz Dillinger, the game uses two of his without permission. Now, he wants Rockstar to pay up or to destroy all unsold copies of the game.

huh wow, though it seems the majority of people think its a publicity stunt by the rapper but the case may have some merit.

Thoughts?

Source: Kotaku

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unfortunate this is all too common. But giving an ultimatum to a company that made what has been called "possibily the game of the decade" or even "generation" is a losing proposition. Thanks to patent trolls, this guys probably has no case. But what do I know. But have any of you ever heard this argument by someone in real life?

I was working for a homeless soup shelter quite a few years back in 05 during a 30 hour famine for my youth group. Homeless people everywhere. We were serving them all probably the only hot meal they would get this week. As I was serving one of them, he noticed my GBA in my pocket and asked if I liked video games. without waiting for an answer, he proceeded to tell me about how much he hated those "Fuckers" over at "Madden" games. I asked him why all the hate?

"They stole my idea for Madden 06"

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Mad GTA 5 player reporting in.

WHAT? No-no-no-no-no. First of... Okay, Rockstar did take his two pieces of music and added it in the game, but he should be happy? Why is he a music composer and a rapper? If he raps, and its out here on the real world, whats the problem of it being in a game? I mean, if other people on YT upload music videos of whatever songs, i'm pretty sure there would be his too. But why is he bitching for GTA V?

Secondly, HOW THE HECK IS RAP:
"MUSIC" "A SONG"
*a true rapper would be Eminem. :D

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mad GTA 5 player reporting in.

WHAT? No-no-no-no-no. First of... Okay, Rockstar did take his two pieces of music and added it in the game, but he should be happy? Why is he a music composer and a rapper? If he raps, and its out here on the real world, whats the problem of it being in a game? I mean, if other people on YT upload music videos of whatever songs, i'm pretty sure there would be his too. But why is he bitching for GTA V?

Secondly, HOW THE HECK IS RAP:
"MUSIC" "A SONG"
*a true rapper would be Eminem. :D

Only he has the right to publish his music. No one else has the right to advertise his music except for him. (It's amazing that he's even popular.)

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Xy6vtlS.jpg

If Rockstar used his music without his permission, than that's a serious fuck up on Rockstar's part and they should compensate him for the tracks. Expecting them to destroy copies of the game? Yeah, that ain't happening.

FireEmblemGuy

Celebrating a decade of shitposting
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gotta love how everyone's hating on this guy for his genre or relative (un)popularity. If a track or two by one of your favorite musicians was used without the permission of the musician, record label, or other copyright holders was used in a game without any sort of permission, you wouldn't be calling them lazy copyright trolls or ungrateful whiners. Asking for unsold copies of the game to be destroyed might be going a bit far, but then again that's probably what you'd ask of anyone making money off of any unauthorized sales of your copyrighted works. More likely if there's any merit to this there'll be a settlement that allows the game to stay as-is or removes the music in a mandatory patch.

All that said, I don't know the artist, or who holds the power to authorize that music to be used in game, or whether or not it was actually authorized, but I'm interested in seeing how this turns out.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Rappers, euphemism for butt-hurt trolls hellbent on getting royalties
You might want to expand that to every type of artist ever and a significant percentage thereof at that. Now this is not without good reason as taking the piss when it comes to paying artists for their work is a popular pastime and has been for hundreds of years.

Back on topic and here I thought GBAtemp's general knowledge of IP law was improving following previous farces... oh well. If Rockstar did the deed, and did not at least have an end run around it (it could be the label owns the songs), then this could get messy. I am drawn to wonder how it might play out in a world of game patches/title updates.

I tried looking up the firm handling the case to see what they have done before and I got back a bunch of listings for a trademark they filed, another trademark and the results of a SEO person that knew their trade. I lack a proper legal search engine at this point in time though and those things are typically quite expensive.

RchUncleSkeleton

Skeletron 9000
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
While I did claim that Rappers don't create music, he could very well be a songwriter as well but that's not the point. If he owns copyright on his work then he is legally entitled to compensation if another company uses it without his permission and he definitely does have the right to deny anyone the ability to use his work in something commercially sold. If someone used my music in their commercial product you can bet your ass I'd seek compensation.

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How ironic, someone stealing music FROM a rapper, usually it's the rappers stealing sampling music.

Gotta love how everyone's hating on this guy for his genre or relative (un)popularity. If a track or two by one of your favorite musicians was used without the permission of the musician, record label, or other copyright holders was used in a game without any sort of permission, you wouldn't be calling them lazy copyright trolls or ungrateful whiners.
WRONG

I like Metallica, but you should've heard the names I called Lars back during that Napster thingy. Trolls and whiners would've been a lot nicer.

Canonbeat234

Redeemed Temper
Trophies
XP
Country
Off/T: Well I am not surprise, majority of people here thinks rap is stupid, lifeless, and no moral building. While This aspect is true, I can say on a few can challenge me that today's music is bland and repetitive. There are hidden gems of music out there that are genuine and original, I applaud them for being creative and not lazy with the potential they have to show it off.

On/T: The rapper does not realize that GTA series does not teach about integrity. So the jokes are on him for being so naive about the music industry and underestimate the power of corruption from within the media. He complains about his songs being used inside a game that made over 40 million in one day compare to his albums being sold it by how many units? Personally to me he should take it as a grain of salt and let it be gaining popularity over a game music soundtrack instead of his own soundtrack.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse