Randy Pitchford: Wii U Aliens Colonial Marines is best looking version

• Thread starter Deleted_171835
  • Start date
  • Views 2,244
  • Replies 19
D

Deleted_171835

OP

- Wants to remain faithful to the Alien franchise.
- Working with Ridley Scott.
- Asymmetrical gameplay
- Wii U controller is the best shooter controller from Nintendo yet.
- The Wii U is a next-gen system.
- It's a very powerful system. More so than 360/PS3.
- They wouldn't be making this game for the Wii U if it didn't offer a competitive online infrastructure.
- The Wii U version is the best looking console version.
http://www.gamespot....chford-6377485/

The controller being the best shooter controller (from Nintendo) isn't so far-fetched considering it supports gyro (those with a Vita or 3DS should know what I'm talking about). And the comments on the Wii U should convince those that think it's on-par/worse than the PS3/360 otherwise.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wii U controller best for shooters? Bullshit! there's no controller better for shooters than the Wii Remote/Nunchuck combo. I refuse to play any shooters on the Wii U that does not have remote/nunchuck support.

Reactions: 1 person

FluffyLunamoth

Still a Touhou Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wii U controller best for shooters? Bullshit! there's no controller better for shooters than the Wii Remote/Nunchuck combo. I refuse to play any shooters on the Wii U that does not have remote/nunchuck support.

I bet you'll take that back if they're right.

Game looks damn good, in graphics. We'll see how good the gameplay is, though, from a generic shooter.

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the WiiU itself is going to be awesome for shooters! It has traditional Dual Sticks which many gamers are used to, and Stylus aimming which is much more accurate and quick, not to mention Wiimote support which offers the best comparison to a actual gun (though its still far from it) and GC support (which IMO has one of the best button set ups ever) and the systems online and third party support is supposed to be through the roof. Hopefully Nintendo doesn't make the mistake Xbox and Sony made of pretty much only having JRPGs, Open-Worlds and Shooters on the console. A little bit of balance never hurt anyone.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hopefully Nintendo doesn't make the mistake Xbox and Sony made of pretty much only having JRPGs, Open-Worlds and Shooters on the console. A little bit of balance never hurt anyone.
Neither Microsoft or Sony have made that mistake.

Sony itself has had a great balance of titles from its own studios (it can't controls what 3rd party titles come to it you know) its had platformers like LittleBigPlanet, Ratchet & Clank, Sly Raccoon, various racers, puzzle titles, fighters, 3rd person adventure titles, rhythm titles etc.

Microsoft itself have done again various racers, fighters, had some different titles on Kinect, its Rare studio did games like Vivta Pinata, Banjo Kazooie Nuts & Bolts, Kameo and others teams have done other things. They even did a pretty good Halo RTS game. The 360 doesn't really have much in the way of platformers...oh wait no it does go to XBLA and you'll see some of the finest of this generation.

Third party titles have been varied too and both consoles have had a great range in digital content too that offer a staggering amount of variety. I really don't think you've looked at what either console has too offer.

Reactions: 3 people

Lube_Skyballer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
I think the WiiU itself is going to be awesome for shooters! It has traditional Dual Sticks which many gamers are used to, and Stylus aimming which is much more accurate and quick, not to mention Wiimote support which offers the best comparison to a actual gun (though its still far from it) and GC support (which IMO has one of the best button set ups ever) and the systems online and third party support is supposed to be through the roof. Hopefully Nintendo doesn't make the mistake Xbox and Sony made of pretty much only having JRPGs, Open-Worlds and Shooters on the console. A little bit of balance never hurt anyone.

Huh? I thought Xbox 360 had a serious lack of (good) JRPGs.
And the whole shooter abundance is being greatly exaggerated. Everyone just hops on the "hate to shooters" bandwagon

Vampire Lied

Resident sociopath
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm still highly sceptical about the system.
They claim it'll visually be the best version of the game. Now that's a ballsy statement.
Also, even if xbox and ps3 were limited to only jrpg, open-world games and shooters (which is far from the truth) its way better than the slew of shit titles for the Wii.
Now that they've pulled in the "casual" audience with their horrible "family friendly" crap, they're going to alienate them by going back to catering to traditional gamers?
Their tactic console-wise has confused me since the Wii launched.
All I'm really sayin is:
HEY NINTENDO HOW ABOUT MORE ZELDA, METROID, core MARIO TITLES!!!??
enough with this "I love stupid ass petz"
They need to decide what type of gamer they're gonna focus on or better yet, strike a balance.
Not like the Wii that has about 20 shit titles for every good one.
I wish everyone interested in the wii u the best of luck.
As for me, ill wait it out at least a year to see if they're still full of empty promises.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I bet you'll take that back if they're right.

Game looks damn good, in graphics. We'll see how good the gameplay is, though, from a generic shooter.

I wont EVER take what I said back! I deal with dual analog but that doesn't mean that I like it. Consider me spoiled by the Wii Remote and Nunchuck but anytime I have the choice, I always pick the remote/nunchuck combo. Now If only I can get a proper remote/nunchuck solution for PC and OnLive gaming, I'll be set!

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm still highly sceptical about the system.
They claim it'll visually be the best version of the game. Now that's a ballsy statement.
Also, even if xbox and ps3 were limited to only jrpg, open-world games and shooters (which is far from the truth) its way better than the slew of shit titles for the Wii.
Now that they've pulled in the "casual" audience with their horrible "family friendly" crap, they're going to alienate them by going back to catering to traditional gamers?
Their tactic console-wise has confused me since the Wii launched.
All I'm really sayin is:
HEY NINTENDO HOW ABOUT MORE ZELDA, METROID, core MARIO TITLES!!!??
enough with this "I love stupid ass petz"
They need to decide what type of gamer they're gonna focus on or better yet, strike a balance.
Not like the Wii that has about 20 shit titles for every good one.
I wish everyone interested in the wii u the best of luck.
As for me, ill wait it out at least a year to see if they're still full of empty promises.

There's nothing wrong with Nintendo going after a wide audience. That's how you stay afloat. Also Just because Nintendo did not make a console catered to you does not mean that the Wii was full of empty promises. I dare say that the Wii is my favorite Nintendo system. It had a bit of everything and compared to my N64 and GameCube collections, I have way more Wii games that I play on a regular basis. I hope Nintendo doesn't lose what made the Wii awesome with the WiiU

@Zantigo: There is no GameCube controller support on the WiiU :( I know... it sucks

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hopefully Nintendo doesn't make the mistake Xbox and Sony made of pretty much only having JRPGs, Open-Worlds and Shooters on the console. A little bit of balance never hurt anyone.
Neither Microsoft or Sony have made that mistake.

Sony itself has had a great balance of titles from its own studios (it can't controls what 3rd party titles come to it you know) its had platformers like LittleBigPlanet, Ratchet & Clank, Sly Raccoon, various racers, puzzle titles, fighters, 3rd person adventure titles, rhythm titles etc.

Microsoft itself have done again various racers, fighters, had some different titles on Kinect, its Rare studio did games like Vivta Pinata, Banjo Kazooie Nuts & Bolts, Kameo and others teams have done other things. They even did a pretty good Halo RTS game. The 360 doesn't really have much in the way of platformers...oh wait no it does go to XBLA and you'll see some of the finest of this generation.

Third party titles have been varied too and both consoles have had a great range in digital content too that offer a staggering amount of variety. I really don't think you've looked at what either console has too offer.

Ah, ok. I barely ever see any games made by Sony studios and I swore M$ sold all their studios XD my bad.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sure the game will look nice on the Wii U, but I'll be happy with the 360 version (dat controller and online support).

I know Nintendo has been trying to put a lot more focus into the system's online infrastructure, but I'm not so sure how it will work out. This is going to be a pretty big step up for them, and I am not sure if Nintendo is ready for all the curve balls ahead. Seeing how it holds up during launch will be very interesting...

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sure the game will look nice on the Wii U, but I'll be happy with the 360 version (dat controller and online support).

I know Nintendo has been trying to put a lot more focus into the system's online infrastructure, but I'm not so sure how it will work out. This is going to be a pretty big step up for them, and I am not sure if Nintendo is ready for all the curve balls ahead. Seeing how it holds up during launch will be very interesting...
I dunno, I'd bet Wii U will have better online support, mainly since it follows the "Profile" style that's ever so popular with non-Nintendo consoles and the fact that you don't have to pay for online. Having said that, I think the PS3 would be a good choice as well (if it's on there).

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I dunno, I'd bet Wii U will have better online support, mainly since it follows the "Profile" style that's ever so popular with non-Nintendo consoles and the fact that you don't have to pay for online. Having said that, I think the PS3 would be a good choice as well (if it's on there).

Um, what? You're forgetting that Xbox Live (and PSN, too) has been around for several years, has the inrastructure paid for by the customers, and has an extremely large user base (even if the Wii U has a smashing launch, the number of players online isn't going to top Microsoft's or Sony's). It has had a lot of time to expand and dominate.

The Wii U's online service is going to be new and untested by the general public (as we've seen so often, debuting online services often face a lot of unforeseen trouble once the public swarms in).

Can the Wii U's online service become better later on? Sure, that's a possibility. At launch? Good luck with that.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Um, what? You're forgetting that Xbox Live (and PSN, too) has been around for several years, has the inrastructure paid for by the customers, and has an extremely large user base (even if the Wii U has a smashing launch, the number of players online isn't going to top Microsoft's or Sony's). It has had a lot of time to expand and dominate.

The Wii U's online service is going to be new and untested by the general public (as we've seen so often, debuting online services often face a lot of unforeseen trouble once the public swarms in).

Can the Wii U's online service become better later on? Sure, that's a possibility. At launch? Good luck with that.
That may be so, but I think that the community will indubitably be better from the beginning. I found that the Xbox online community was...discouraging, in a word. Not that I mind their attitudes, but it was almost only ever fun to me when I played with friends (though, to be fair, I rarely played online since there weren't too many games on the 360 that caught my eye). Plus having to pay for it greatly discouraged me, I'm honestly shocked the Xbox has such a large community, especially noting the age of a large amount of them. Besides, the Xbox was pretty big in the beginning (as in the original) and it didn't actually have any games to boast, whereas the Wii U does, so there's really no reason I could see the online community not growing exponentially in the beginning. Though, maybe this is all simply wishful thinking, but it's a very real possibility.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Online communities always have dumb, base elements (from the whiny children to the "serious" gamers who demand everyone stops having fun). A Nintendo console's audience is not going to magically be better than userbases of Xbox Live, PSN, or any multiplayer PC game. Playing with friends is always the preferable option anyway; that's not exclusive to the Live community.

I get not wanting to pay for the service, but I understand why. It's expensive to keep up, and by having everyone chip in, it allows for the best console online service to keep on keeping on (I don't approve of how Microsoft forces the advertisements on the paying customers, but that's a whole other issue). From the size of the community, it's clear that those other people are willing to accept the trade off.

The original Xbox? The original incarnation of Live flourished because the competition in terms of online services on other consoles was minimal; if you wanted a serious focus on online gaming, the Xbox was your only choice. The Wii U does not have that luxury.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Online communities always have dumb, base elements (from the whiny children to the "serious" gamers who demand everyone stops having fun). A Nintendo console's audience is not going to magically be better than userbases of Xbox Live, PSN, or any multiplayer PC game. Playing with friends is always the preferable option anyway; that's not exclusive to the Live community.

I get not wanting to pay for the service, but I understand why. It's expensive to keep up, and by having everyone chip in, it allows for the best console online service to keep on keeping on (I don't approve of how Microsoft forces the advertisements on the paying customers, but that's a whole other issue). From the size of the community, it's clear that those other people are willing to accept the trade off.

The original Xbox? The original incarnation of Live flourished because the competition in terms of online services on other consoles was minimal; if you wanted a serious focus on online gaming, the Xbox was your only choice. The Wii U does not have that luxury.
That's true, it was the go-to place for online play; after all, the PS2 and Gamecube could play online, but their services were cumbersome and nigh on non-existent in most games.

Plus, I can't say anything towards the crowd, as while I did find myself enjoying those I played with on Monster Hunter...well, that's Monster Hunter. Not only did the majority of Wii owners not own headphones or Wii Speak, but chances are those who play the FPS on the Wii were probably the same as those on the Xbox and PS3, it's more a matter of the games you play than the system, I guess. I mean, you'd be pretty hard pressed to find an RPG that was online and popular on any system, Western or otherwise.

So yeah, I guess this is one of those matters that will settle itself when the time comes.

lostdwarf

Trophies
Website
www.rockstarleeds.com
XP
Country
Well only 11 days to go now and my dev friends are finding it hard to keep stum on some info! :D

"you like mario tennis on 3DS? how do you like the mii editor?"

Would be ace if we could slap mii faces on xenomorphs heads for online. freaky, but funny as hell.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    just play it, get beaten a few times and start dominating
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude chess is best
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    strip checkers > nude chess
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude checkers get jumped
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, I guess you'd pick up something while watching tub streams.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Dick fights. :tpi:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Turkish olive oil wrestling.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Well I believe I'm about to get hit with a spring sinus infuction
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well I believe I'm about to get hit with a spring sinus infuction