Hacking Random11's Credit Card Sized amiibo cards

Temptress Cerise

Miss Magic~ <3
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mine didn't, and the first few I found online didn't work out. The third one, however, worked like a charm.

Ntag215 card, ntag215 inkjet printable Card for Espon printer, Canon printer
http://s.aliexpress.com/vQJzUv2Q

A little pricey, but they work great.
I bought these same cards, but my ink would pool on top. I'm thinking I got the wrong set of cards... Were yours glossy on top? Or do they have a bit of texture?
are you sure it was the same store you bought it from? Shenzhen Mochua Smart Information Technology Co., Ltd. Store No.626737. And it was those specific cards that said "inkjet printable Card for Espon printer, Canon printer" in the title? There are a lot of different vendors selling through aliExpress and even that one store has many different items. I would be surprised though if you are sure it was the exact same people with the exact same item and two people got different cards. I've never purchased anything from aliExpress so I'm curious if I would still have to scrutinize a store's items even if someone has already vouched for the store.
I am not the first to use them.

One thing I will say about dealing with chinese vendors, is to triple check order details and to ask multiple times that they understand that you need them to be inkjet printable cards. Be nice and considerate though. I mean, from my experience, they are the ones making the effort to speak in your native language. I don't really remember the texture of the cards though. Since I kind of just went at it with the printer. Maybe @TerryG can be more helpful on that.

trey.mcd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
are you sure it was the same store you bought it from? Shenzhen Mochua Smart Information Technology Co., Ltd. Store No.626737. And it was those specific cards that said "inkjet printable Card for Espon printer, Canon printer" in the title? There are a lot of different vendors selling through aliExpress and even that one store has many different items. I would be surprised though if you are sure it was the exact same people with the exact same item and two people got different cards. I've never purchased anything from aliExpress so I'm curious if I would still have to scrutinize a store's items even if someone has already vouched for the store.
Yes... I'm sure
UfpSxtl.png

This is how the cards came out:
ohmi9hS.jpg
spoiler]

Last edited by trey.mcd,

TerryG

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am not the first to use them.

One thing I will say about dealing with chinese vendors, is to triple check order details and to ask multiple times that they understand that you need them to be inkjet printable cards. Be nice and considerate though. I mean, from my experience, they are the ones making the effort to speak in your native language. I don't really remember the texture of the cards though. Since I kind of just went at it with the printer. Maybe @TerryG can be more helpful on that.

They were glossy, from what I can remember. What sticks out to me more than the texture was that they felt tacky when I touched them.

Yes... I'm sure
UfpSxtl.png

ohmi9hS.jpg
spoiler]

Those are definitely not inkjet compatible. I had some cards I bought for test runs from a different seller that did the exact same thing. I would contact the seller and send them the picture. In my experience the sellers on Ali are extremely helpful and willing to work out any problems. And if they aren't, file a complaint and let Ali sort it out.

Last edited by TerryG,

DocKlokMan

Plugin Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes... I'm sure
UfpSxtl.png

ohmi9hS.jpg
spoiler]
Yep, you got normal PVC just like I did. It's a bummer. That's why I eneded up buying label paper and just using two pieces to sandwich the card.

I have updated the 3 new amiibo with the appropriate logos, text styles and maps where needed (see op)
Dang it man, I JUST made a second set. Now I won't be satisfied till I've redone those ones.

OfficialFBomb

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Brand of paper was Avery, 15265. For Fixative I used Rust-oleum American Accents 2x Ultra Cover Matte Clear. Makes the cards look and feel more like those cardboard tokens you punch out for use in board games, so if you want a more shiny, card like appearance with a smoother texture I'd go for semi-gloss. As for the filing, the nail file is like this: http://images.nailsmag.com/post/1-M-na1010implementnailfile.jpg

Basically the same as a sanding block. It was used gently and I only moved it in one direction, not back and forth. It was mostly for the corners but also because the fixative stiffens the paper and can make it a little sharp. The paper doesn't fray much because the sticky side of it holds it together.

Quick questions, did you print on just a basic ink jet or at a Staples print shop, also how would one fit as many images onto a page as possible, is there a link to pdf pages with all of the op's first page images already done, sorry if it's been asked but it's 3:35 am and I can't sleep and got amiibo on the brain, planning to get that sticker paper and clear cover so want to cover my basis, I plan to do all 17 amiibo cards that work in botw basically as a collection even if some are double use

DocKlokMan

Plugin Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Quick questions, did you print on just a basic ink jet or at a Staples print shop, also how would one fit as many images onto a page as possible, is there a link to pdf pages with all of the op's first page images already done, sorry if it's been asked but it's 3:35 am and I can't sleep and got amiibo on the brain, planning to get that sticker paper and clear cover so want to cover my basis, I plan to do all 17 amiibo cards that work in botw basically as a collection even if some are double use
Printed at home on a Canon printer, but you could probably have it done at Staples. I could only fit 8 per page which worked out fine since there's only 16 unique amiibo. If you want the full set, including functional doubles, the total would be 18. My arrangement was like so:

IMG_0942.JPG

kolosus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I printed mine at Staples. No access to a good color printer. Tried the public library. While the prints were cheaper the quality sucked and was noticeably better at Staples. I printed 6 to a page like Random11 suggested. Was worried about getting my layout scaled.

Staples also prints to legal size pages, so I'd probably be able to fit more prints per page but I cant figure out how to print to legal size pages on my pdf printer. The way I did it was set the layout, print out into pdf prints (cute writer) then plug into Staple's self service station and print to letter. It went well.

Random11

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Printed at home on a Canon printer, but you could probably have it done at Staples. I could only fit 8 per page which worked out fine since there's only 16 unique amiibo. If you want the full set, including functional doubles, the total would be 18. My arrangement was like so:

View attachment 84671
Lmao nice arrangement. Why not just do 4x2 straight across?

FullSizeRender.jpg FullSizeRender.jpg

If you use the print in acrobat you have to watch out for it scaling the images though. So you would need to print a test to see if it is going to print at the right size.

I printed mine at Staples. No access to a good color printer. Tried the public library. While the prints were cheaper the quality sucked and was noticeably better at Staples. I printed 6 to a page like Random11 suggested. Was worried about getting my layout scaled.

Staples also prints to legal size pages, so I'd probably be able to fit more prints per page but I cant figure out how to print to legal size pages on my pdf printer. The way I did it was set the layout, print out into pdf prints (cute writer) then plug into Staple's self service station and print to letter. It went well.
With the credit card sized ones you should be able to fit 8 on 8.5"X11" paper. Assuming your printer doesn't need huge margins.

Last edited by Random11,

OfficialFBomb

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

If you use the print in acrobat you have to watch out for it scaling the images though. So you would need to print a test to see if it is going to print at the right size.

With the credit card sized ones you should be able to fit 8 on 8.5"X11" paper. Assuming your printer doesn't need huge margins.

What's the easiest way to add these to a page to print, basically I suck with any kind of software editing, I want to make a pdf with all the ones I want and have Staples print so if they mess up I don't pay, and which software would you recommend to do this..

Random11

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What's the easiest way to add these to a page to print, basically I suck with any kind of software editing, I want to make a pdf with all the ones I want and have Staples print so if they mess up I don't pay, and which software would you recommend to do this..
I wrote a guide on how to use this free software called scribus. There is a link to the guide in the OP of my playing card thread. There is a link to that thread in this thread's OP. Never linked it here because I figured people would be printing onto the cards directly and be using custom templates for however they were printing them. But if you are doing the full page label thing then that guide should help you. Just make sure you change the page size (the card size is referred to as page size, you will understand if you read the guide) to the credit card sized images (the sizes are in this threads OP). That will give you a PDF you can take to staples.

Last edited by Random11,
Reactions: OfficialFBomb

OfficialFBomb

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok so i set the frame template, and my images dont fit there too big, i clicked the img and when it opened fullscreen i saved is that the wrong way or?

Last edited by OfficialFBomb,

OfficialFBomb

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Paint says there 300 dpi so idk what i'm doing wrong but i wont waist your time, i have no clue how to do this or get it right.

Random11

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Attachments

• Random11 6 Scribus Credit Card Template.zip
    5.1 KB · Views: 2,782

DocKlokMan

Plugin Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

View attachment 84678 View attachment 84677

Because I am The Dumb. I've now remade my templates with this arrangement as it's much easier to cut out. Also took the opportunity to update to the new Zelda M, SS, TP graphics and back.

jose70mino

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@OfficialFBomb I originally said you could use paint... but I had forgot you wanted to get them printed at staples. For that you need a pdf.

Follow this guide: https://gbatemp.net/threads/custom-amiibo-cards-for-botw.464093/page-5#post-7215381 start at page 8 because you will be using a template

Use this template:

Did you ever buy the Zebra printer? I have a zxp series 3 single sided new in the box if you are interested. By the way thanks for all the effort you have put into this. It's amazing

Random11

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Did you ever buy the Zebra printer? I have a zxp series 3 single sided new in the box if you are interested. By the way thanks for all the effort you have put into this. It's amazing
:( no... lol. My rational brain couldnt justify the cost for only the few cards I am printing. Gonna do the labels.

jose70mino

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
:( no... lol. My rational brain couldnt justify the cost for only the few cards I am printing. Gonna do the labels.

Do you mind filling me in on the label information? I am doing card stock and laminate today to see how that looks. I did some pokemon trainer cards for my sons pokemon birthday themed party which turned out good just wasn't a fan of the left over edge of lamination.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1